No.1 sheeple?

This is a discussion on No.1 sheeple? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-...n_b_76496.html Do you need a gun? I don't. I hope never to find myself in a situation where I would have needed one to protect ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No.1 sheeple?

No.1 sheeple?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-...n_b_76496.html

Do you need a gun?

I don't. I hope never to find myself in a situation where I would have needed one to protect my life--though I concede that this is a dire possibility in a country where guns seem so prevalent. They are designed for only one purpose: to kill. And I myself am enough in tune with Buddhist teachings to believe that the taking of life is wrong in any circumstance--and, yes, that includes the saving of my own. I'm not naive enough to believe that I wouldn't resort to violence in order to preserve my life, but I would not prepare for that contingency with the purchase of a gun.

In this context, I find it strange and profoundly unsettling that in all the news media reports on the recent senseless killing sprees in Nebraska and Colorado, I have heard virtually nothing about the guns that were used. If anyone has been speculating about how a deadly assault weapon ended up in the hands of a teenager who was well known by authorities to be mentally unstable and a young man whose rage and hatred were already on record, I have not heard or read it.

I'm ready to stick my neck way out here and say that I find it incomprehensible and disgraceful that this sad history should have been allowed to repeat itself yet again in a country that suffers the evident delusion of being civilized. It's incomprehensible and disgraceful that the question is not in the headlines of the media and on the tongue of every presidential candidate.

And has anyone given any thought to how sad it is that a church should need to employ armed guards in this "Christian" country? Apparently the Colorado case is confirmation of the need for such protection, since the assassin was killed (in a timely fashion, true) by a woman security officer. We can be grateful to this brave woman that many lives were spared, and at the same time rue the fact that her presence was necessary.

Is this not yet another piece of evidence that what we are pleased to tout to the rest of the world as our "democracy" is, at best, a malfunctioning oligarchy, at worst, a mere plutocracy? Are we not ashamed that a small minority of fanatics should be able to intimidate our leaders and our representatives into continued support for a policy that the vast majority find loathsome? How could anyone in their right mind believe that those who authored the founding documents of this country intended that fire power be readily available to morons and maniacs alike ("militias," anyone?)--let alone weapons of a destructive power that would have been unimaginable to those good men?

I am perplexed. Here is candidate Rudy Giuliani, formerly a rational proponent of gun control to stem the violence in the city of which he once was mayor, now doing a volte-face in order to escape the displeasure of the National Rifle Association and its followers. There is a row of Republican candidates confronted with an absurd and hostile UTube question from a pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-hands yahoo, rushing to surrender simple good sense to political contingency.

As for the Democratic candidates, check this out: Senator Biden "does not have a policy on gun control." Senator Clinton "does not have a policy on gun control." Senator Barack Obama "does not have a policy on gun control." Same with Edwards, Of the whole bunch of them, only Sen. Mike Gravel even has a statement: "While Senator Gravel fully supports the 2nd Amendment," it reads, "he believes that fundamental change must take place with regards to gun ownership. The senator advocates a licensing program where a potential gun owner must be licensed as well as properly trained with a firearm before they may own one." Well, bully for him. But what a weak-kneed, milquetoast qualification. (Dennis Kucinich, I'm happy to say, was rated "F" by the NRA, but I could not find a policy statement on his site.)

So where is sanity? When do we begin to recognize that not every American citizen needs, or has a right to an assault weapon to protect his home, his family, his person. As for those who choose to hunt deer, or bears, or rabbits, or squirrels, or whatever other of God's creatures they like to assassinate, are shotguns and rifles not weaponry enough for their valiant efforts?

Actually, I'm beyond perplexed. I'm outraged. And no, I don't need to go out and buy a gun for my defense.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

2. Remove Ads

That was hard to understand. All could could hear was "baaa, baaaa, baaa."
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Sure, I'd love to live in a world where I don't need a gun to protect my family and myself, but the reality is that I do need it. To say that there is no reason to ever take a life, even to save your own, legitimizes illegal and violent acts perpetrated on innocent victims. And it puts defending yourself from those acts on the same level as them. Criminals love people like this.

drivel [intrasensitive verb]

Main Entry:
    1driv·el Listen to the pronunciation of 1drivel
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈdri-vəl\
    Function:
    intransitive verb
    Inflected Form(s):
    driv·eled or driv·elled; driv·el·ing or driv·el·ling Listen to the pronunciation of drivelling \-v(ə-)liŋ\
    Etymology:
    Middle English, from Old English dreflian; perhaps akin to Old Norse draf malt dregs
    Date:
    before 12th century

1 : to let saliva dribble from the mouth : slaver
    2 : to talk stupidly and carelessly
    — driv·el·er Listen to the pronunciation of driveler \-v(ə-)lər\ noun

Source - http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/drivel
    The word 'Drivel' is the very first word that came to my mind upon reading the above Huffington Post piece.
    In fact I read it two times because after the first coming away with the thought that the writer (as there is no citation stating the author nor a source URL I have to assume it's Arianna Huffington) has conflicted herself multiples times in that one piece and further shows a lack of functional knowledge toward Buddhism, American or world history, or hell even the Democratic party and the candidates there in both the ones she noted as well as the one major player far ahead of Mike Gravel whom she oddly ignored and has a statement toward guns and gun control and has an 'A' rating from the NRA exactly as she pondered; Frmr. Clinton era diplomat and current governor, Bill Richardson (D-NM).

If I cared enough I'd respond to the writer about how the Buddhist have been defending themselves with force, violence, weapons, and when necessary killing for over one thousand (1,000) years. I suppose she has never heard of a small little sect referred to as the Shaolin Monks and their obscure 'martial art' known to a few people and Quentin Tarantino as "Kung Fu".
    As well she does not know and is misninformed in her thinking that Ms. Assam was a hired security guard. She was not. She was a parishoner member of the church there to worship who happened to like the other _volunteer_ guards offered to donate her knowledge, skill sets, training, and civilian carried sidearm to offered aid and assistance toward what ever security issue might occur. Their church being pretty large at a listed 10K membership attendance. No place has that many people and no security, not even a John Tesh or Yanni concert. Common sense prevailed here. As well it's not like crimes and assaults at churches and religious organizations have not been occurring in America and the world overall since before calendars were printed.

I could go on and on and write up a response to her post that sentence by sentence of the writes posting makes little to no sense at all.
    But then I just don't care enough, anymore, about people of this mindset. I'm done.
    Besides all I'd get in response if any at all would be additional drivel about how
    I too am crazy, and thus am just another 'minority' amongst the writers perceived many.

Oh, and I have a quote by a Buddhist that I'd heard ages ago that it seems the writer is also unfamiliar with...

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
    Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
    Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
    Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
    Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
    But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

Buddha
    Source - http://quotes.wordpress.com/2006/11/...-buddha-quotes
    I learned of the above from the hit television show 'Kung Fu' starring David Carradine. A show the writer no doubt has zero familiarity with, just as with the rest of the as posted subject matter.

- Janq

Edit: It looks like I missed the OPs source URL being posted first at the top of the article as opposed to my own norm and that which I most often see.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Ya know... I've never read from anyone so smug about themselves. Wow. He touts himself in the first paragraph as being better than everyone else. If he wants to believe that there is some moral superiority in being dead, that's fine. I have but one qoute for him:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -Johnathon Stuart Mill

If he thinks he's somehow immune or better than everyone because of his thoughts - fine. He's entitled to his own First Amendment opinion. But, IIRC, that one is backed-up by the one about "those guns." Sorry to piddle on his parade but it's true. And here's another thought for him to consider: If, by his own inaction, he could have prevented the death of someone else but did not - how does that square himself with his religion? Hell even Ghandi was pro-gun!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    Oh my - where to start .....

I hope never to find myself in a situation where I would have needed one to protect my life
    We also hope to never need but have the logic of mind to know that ''things happen"

taking of life is wrong in any circumstance--and, yes, that includes the saving of my own
    I have no wish to take a life but am prepared to have to do so if it means saving my own or that of a loved one. Does seem some folks still have such a problem with defending themselves they give the impression they'd rather die!

When do we begin to recognize that not every American citizen needs, or has a right to an assault weapon to protect his home, his family, his person
    Ahem - heard of 2A? Yes that RIGHT!. Maybe if the criminal scum did not exist we'd not need to consider being armed, in the home and elsewhere. These folks conveniently always 'forget' that the BG's will always be potentially armed - nothing can alter that.

Oh and of course -<yawn> - once more that dreaded ''assault weapon'' - it has to come up every time for gratuitous villification.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

janq - you added a good post - ''Drivel'' came to my mind also.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Check out the comments section: Buddhists are ripping him a new one in a karmatic sense
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    We all tend to believe different things, and some people have the belief that they can never take another human life to save their own, whether it be from religion or just a personal belief. I myself on the other hand would much rather kill the person that is trying to kill me, equal measures. I would rather not kill anyone, but if push comes to shove, I will.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Check out the comments section: Buddhists are ripping him a new one in a karmatic sense
    At your suggestion I did just that and the responses from all, including Buddhists, and those quoting even the Dalai Lama plainly countering this morons statements are flat out hilarious.

This guy I've never heard of him before but he's shown himself with this one posting to be a complete and utter moron, which according to Merriam-Webster is defined as a "very stupid person".

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Cannonfodder

People like him get slaughtered like cattle without ever understanding what the heck is going on.

Nothing new there...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

And I myself am enough in tune with Buddhist teachings to believe that the taking of life is wrong in any circumstance--and, yes, that includes the saving of my own.
    Great! If only all anti-gunners would take this position rather than pulling a Feinstein and carrying a gun while bragging about how they want to ban them. This reminds me of the environmentalist nuts who hate humans so much that they sterilize themselves in order to not disturb mother nature with more pesky people. Darwin wins again.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    That was hard to understand. All could could hear was "baaa, baaaa, baaa."

How do you spell TROLL!!!

VIP Member
    One of the giant Internet traps for Liberals and anybody else that lies to buttress their view is that you will be reviewed and called to the Principal's Office if you are caught trying to mislead people in an article. As much garbage as there is in the Net, the ability of those who know but are not attached to Media to respond and disect written stupidity makes the Internet a wonderful tool to have.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I had to laugh at the Kucinich reference - he's the guy that wants a TOTAL ban on ALL handguns:

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Denn...un_Control.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links