Aarp

Aarp

This is a discussion on Aarp within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought that some of our senior citizen members might be interested in the AARP's official position on gun control. Here it is: Gun Control ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Aarp

1943 - 2009

Thumbs down Aarp

I thought that some of our senior citizen members might be interested in the AARP's official position on gun control.

Here it is:

Gun Control
    AARP believes in the Constitutional right to bear arms. But to make the nation safer, we must do what we can to keep guns out of hands of children and criminals. AARP supported the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, which went into law in 1994 with bi-partisan support, but was allowed to expire this year.

AARP supports measures to eliminate firearm possession by juveniles, convicted domestic abusers and those under domestic violence restraining orders.

How can you believe in the right to bear arms and support the Brady Bunch at the same time? Talk about a contradiction!

I'm not an AARP member and have no intentions of ever being one. I get unsolicited mailings from them all the time, so I recently sent them a letter asking them to remove my name from their mailing list.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Assistant Administrator
    CC - I too must write said letter. I keep getting junk from them and have NO intention whatsoever of joining.

They IMO speak with ''forked tongue'' - and want folks to believe that black is white and 2+2=other than 4!! Clever try but tissue thin ploy IMO.

Might work on some but not us lot I reckon.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    I get unsolicited mailings from them all the time, so I recently sent them a letter asking them to remove my name from their mailing list.
    Nooooooooo! Tear all your junk mail into itty-bitty pieces, and send it back to them in their handy pre-paid envelope! (When you get really good, you can stuff up to a Buck and $.10 worth of their postage in there.) I've actually requested info packets from Brady, for that express purpose. It takes them about half-a-dozen "returns" before they take you off. Hey, every dime they waste.........
    TheBigWanad likes this.

Assistant Administrator
    I hear what ya sayin' Rob -
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

AARP believes in the Second Amendment as much as the Brady Bunch. My wife joined AARP after getting a mailing from them. As soon as I found out about it, I had her cancel her membership in AARP

DC Founder
    I am ashamed to admit it, but I joined AARP as soon as I turned 50 for the express purpose of saving money on my car insurance (where have you heard that line before) only to find out that was a sham, too. Soon afterward I found out about their anti-gun leanings, I let it expire. I didn't cancel, but everything they sent went into the trash. When it expired, I sent them a note back on their renewal notice telling them why I wouldn't be renewing. They still, occasionally, send me something but my wife has instructions to never sign me up for their garbage again.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    AARP's strength is in instilling fear in old people, so that they will fight for/against a law/proposal . . . just get them to do everything AARP wants them to do.

If older folks were actually allowed to defend themselves, this would reduce AARP's power to push for more gun control, more laws "protecting the elderly", etc. They work just like the Dems . . . breed "no individual responsibility" and total reliance on others (AARP in this case) to "defend them". It certainly is effective in building their power base.

Looking at the SS issue crystallized it for me. Pres. Bush's proposals would NOT effect anyone over 55 (IIRC), yet AARP had the elderly bitching that any changes would destroy THEIR SS checks! I sent a politely worded "I'm confused, I thought the proposals would have no effect on >55 yo. Please explain" query via Email to AARP back when the proposals were in hot discussion . . . never got any sort of reply at all. Wonder why?

Congress is scared to death of crossing AARP, due to their clout! Too bad NRA doesn't have that clout . . . most gun owners would never ***** to their elected officials (like AARP members do). . .we could be in a lot better position if we had their clout.

BTW, anyone can see their "discounts" online. I haven't seen anything that AARP has offered that I couldn't do better without them.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I'm still trying to figure out just who AARP works for.
    It sure isn't people over 50.
    I'm not a member for a lot of reasons the 2nd Amendment only one of them.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    Whenever I think of the AARP, I remember my mother telling me how she ran into my aunt at a KFC. My aunt, a lazy, decades-long taxpayer sponge, proudly waved around her newly-acquired AARP card like it was gold, and said she was going to get a discount on her bucket of chicken.

I wonder what she was "retired" from... sponging?
    TheBigWanad likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    I'm still trying to figure out just who AARP works for.
    It sure isn't people over 50.
    I'm not a member for a lot of reasons the 2nd Amendment only one of them.

AFS
    The answer is simple. AARP is an "empire builder" and they work for AARP. They USE their membership to stir up dissent on any changes, and thus build more membership/credibility.

Never joined, never will. I had heard about their anti-gun position before I turned 50.
    Parrisk likes this.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    The answer is simple. AARP is an "empire builder" and they work for AARP. They USE their membership to stir up dissent on any changes, and thus build more membership/credibility.
    Well put, I think you hit it right on the nose.
    They are just another self serving Lobby group.
    A superior combat handgunner is best defined as one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skills.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I understand they're a lobbying group. I just can't figure out who the hell they lobby for.
    Anti 2A
    The Bush Social Security thing?
    And it goes on forever.

The good news is they're having a hard time recruiting new members and the old members are either not renewing or dying off.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

And ain't it amazing- nearly all their "senior" staff are barely 50(if that!!!)!

AARP also has the misguided opinion that Social Security is "just fine" though it could be improved somewhat. I 'phoned 'em when I cancelled. The person I spoke with really got upset when I told her the reasons why. Couldn't stand the intense light I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links