Filing an Amici Curiae Brief Supporting Heller

This is a discussion on Filing an Amici Curiae Brief Supporting Heller within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like everybody on the form, I am more than mildly interested in District of Columbia vs Heller. I am interested in filing an amici curiae ...

Thread: Filing an Amici Curiae Brief Supporting Heller

Filing an Amici Curiae Brief Supporting Heller

Like everybody on the form, I am more than mildly interested in District of Columbia vs Heller. I am interested in filing an amici curiae brief supporting Heller.

I am not a lawyer, so I would be filing pro se. Having been involved in several civil cases, doing some rather extensive research in legal documents, and writing as a kind of para legal a number of cases where I was the technical expert on the issues of the case, I think I can write legal enough to make my points clear.

I am completing some project work in an area of the county (Bloomburgville) where my personal situation is analogous to Hellerís in the District of Columbia, and I want to provide to the Court that experience to expand their view of the issues.

In reviewing www.supremecourtus.gov, I can not find

1. the format for
    2. the filing date for
    3. the method or methods of delivery

to do this.

Are there any lawyers or other legal professionals out there that can answer my questions?
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would check with organizations that you know are going to file briefs: NRA, GOA, etc. They probably know as much as anyone about how to do it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

your three mysteries will be found in the "Rules of the Court"

they take the "rules" very seriously...

IANAL but I did attend a Law School once....

IANAL either, but I think you first have to file a motion for leave to file the brief. The motion for leave probably has to be granted before you can file it. In other words they may decide if they are interested in what you have to say before they will grant leave.

Or in the abscence of leave of the court you may be able to file it with written consent from all parties involved.

Either will probably be difficult unless you are some type of noted scholar on the subject or a non-profit org representing a large number of citizens.

The rules to consult are probably the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure Rule 29. Here's a link.

http://judiciary.house.gov/media/pdf...09th/31307.pdf
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    Like everybody on the form, I am more than mildly interested in District of Columbia vs Heller. I am interested in filing an amici curiae brief supporting Heller.

I am not a lawyer, so I would be filing pro se. Having been involved in several civil cases, doing some rather extensive research in legal documents, and writing as a kind of para legal a number of cases where I was the technical expert on the issues of the case, I think I can write legal enough to make my points clear.

I am completing some project work in an area of the county (Bloomburgville) where my personal situation is analogous to Heller’s in the District of Columbia, and I want to provide to the Court that experience to expand their view of the issues.

In reviewing www.supremecourtus.gov, I can not find

1. the format for
    2. the filing date for
    3. the method or methods of delivery

to do this.

Are there any lawyers or other legal professionals out there that can answer my questions?

If you are not able to determine the answers to these simple questions from your own research, what makes you feel you are competent to file a brief in this matter?

This case is for all the marbles.

If you don't have Supreme Court experience, or at the least, sufficient Appellate Court experience, you shouldn't be operating at that level.

Not in this case.

Agreed Mitchell.

This is far too serious and as a result permanent an issue to be muddied by the well intentioned but technically in experienced, as per ones own honest statements.
    GH if you want to be of help then donate money to the support fund toward Heller (not the NRA nor GOA, neither of which are involved in this specific case). Other than that maybe contacting the group behind Heller and offering to donate your time might be useful to them, but I doubt it. This is a serious action and they likely have a crack experienced staff on hand to attack this from all possible angles.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links