DC case?

This is a discussion on DC case? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's the status of the CCW case in Washington DC? I know the SC is going to rule on it, but I haven't heard anything ...

Thread: DC case?

DC case?

What's the status of the CCW case in Washington DC?
    I know the SC is going to rule on it, but I haven't heard anything lately.
    Thanks!
    Criminals are not dissuaded by soft words, soft judges or easy laws. They are dissuaded by fear and they are prevented from repeating their crimes by death or by incarceration.

2. Remove Ads

1st, it has nothing to do (at least directly) with concealed carry. Citizens in DC cannot legally own a working firearm in their own home, and I believe that is what is being considered - whether or not the 2nd Amendment allows for any citizen to own a working firearm, not necessarily carry one.

2nd, the court won't hear oral arguments until March (I think), and then will have until the end of their session (June, I think) to hand down a decision.

Have patience ... and pray (if you are so inclined) that logic & reason win the day.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

VIP Member
    Briefs are due to the court in Jan. Arguments most likely to be heard in March. Also this is not a CCW issue right now. It is only to allow individuals in DC to even HAVE a gun. I doubt we will ever see it legal to carry concealed in DC.

"One hundred thirty of the homicides committed in the District of Columbia this year have been committed with handguns," Deputy Police Chief Alfred Durham told reporters Tuesday afternoon.

YEP the gun ban is working really well there isn't it!!

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on an answer in the spring, either. When has the Government, or the Supreme Court ever acted in an expediated manner? Not inrecent history, for sure.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    As a consolidation of ScotusBlog and DCGunCase:

D.C. opening brief - due in 45 days - first week in January.
    amicus briefs due - second week in February.
    Oral Arguments - week of March 17.
    June 2008 - Possible decision.
    If this feels slow, just remember that it has taken 31 years to get to this point.

That's it for now

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    Even though it has nothing to do with ccw , I'd sure like to see them go after Chicago.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Chicago may very well be affected as might New York and other anti cities.
    The issue is the ability to have a gun at home.
    Given how Chi and NYC restrict this right Heller should have a direct impact.
    Operative term "should".
    Chi and NYC could take the position of "sue us". Even if Heller goes our way.

I'm so glad I'm out of NYC.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on an answer in the spring, either. When has the Government, or the Supreme Court ever acted in an expediated manner? Not inrecent history, for sure.
    Gov't expediency is bad (except in time of war). The slower the federal government works, the better. I tend to think that our Founding Fathers included most of the laws they thought were needed. Practically every law the busybodies in DC pass increases the budget and complexity of the gov't while either stealing more money from us, or abridging our freedom in some way, usually both. If the Constitution was good enough for the Founders, its good enough for me.

Mel
    Last edited by agentmel; December 30th, 2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: clarification
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

VIP Member
    As far as Illinois goes, as long as Mayor Daley is running the state nothing will change for the better.

Hopefully they give a difinitive ruling(for the better) instead of their usually wishy washy rulings. They'll probably tell DC to write the law over again, which DC will reply with,"OK you can have revolvers and rifles at home but they must be in 50 pieces and no 2 pices can be in the same room at the same time and its illegal to transport these from the gun store back home, and ammunition is illegal also." Sound about right?
    My fantasy ruling is that DC becomes a shall issue, no permit open carry state(or area whatever you want to call it).
    They get the government they deserve though.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    SCOTUS almost always rules on the narrowest grounds possible, to leave maximum possible lee-way for later decisions. Most likely the court will NOT incorporate the Second Amendment into the Fourteenth Amendment, thus deciding the decision strictly on the grounds that DC, as a national district, cannot forbid its residents from having an operational firearm (including handguns) within their own home. The court will likely hold that the Second Amendment protects an individual right (I think the scholarship is just too strong in that direction) that the national government cannot infringe, but leave the states out of it. That is probably as far as the decision will go. I doubt they will decide it places any restrictions on what individual states can do.

Remember: only a pessimist is capable of being truly pleasantly surprised!

Links