CNN and ATF at it again

This is a discussion on CNN and ATF at it again within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, Fess up. Who here just had their work locker confiscated... Gotta love sensationalizing tactics: http://www.kpho.com/news/14935357/detail.html Storage Locker Yields 42 Weapons POSTED: 8:01 pm MST ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNN and ATF at it again

CNN and ATF at it again

Ok, Fess up. Who here just had their work locker confiscated...

Gotta love sensationalizing tactics:

http://www.kpho.com/news/14935357/detail.html

Storage Locker Yields 42 Weapons

POSTED: 8:01 pm MST December 27, 2007
    UPDATED: 7:08 pm MST December 28, 2007

PHOENIX -- Spread across a conference table at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Phoenix are enough weapons to equip several car loads of drug runners.

Agents said Thursday they found the 42 weapons in a storage locker about 10 days ago. The guns were worth $250,000 in all: Belgian-made "FN" handguns, semiautomatic AK rifles and other pistols. They also found four olive boxes loaded with 50-caliber bullets -- ammunition that's big enough to take out an airplane.

"These are, quite frankly, weapons of war," ATF special agent Tom Mangan said as he picked up an assault rifle and examined it.

"The type of fire power you're seeing here is on the increase," he said. "You're seeing sophisticated weapons, military weapons, assault type weapons, assault pistols, very expensive pistols."

ATF officials said gun runners typically gather large caches of weapons anonymously through "straw" purchases. They might give someone $100 to go into a gun show or a Wal-Mart and buy a few rifles at a time. They might buy guns over the Internet.

Some of those guns end up in the hands of California gangs or with coyotes herding illegal immigrants into the U.S. But Mangan said a majority of the guns are smuggled into Mexico for use by drug dealers.

Mangan said this year the ATF Phoenix office learned that about 300 assault-type weapons were brought south on one occasion, and another 200 assault-type weapons were smuggled on a separate occasion.

"Certainly, these narcoterrorist organizations, these drug organizations have unlimited source of income, and it's just a matter of getting these guns," Mangan said. "And where do they get these guns? They get them here."

Jim Needles, an ATF agent who was recently transferred to Arizona from New York, said he was alarmed by the kind of weapons agents are finding here.

"You see a lot of firearms seized in New York, but not that sophisticated type of weapon," he said. "You don't see AK-47s. You don't see the 50-caliber type of weapons."

Raul Saavedra, deputy counsul at the Mexican Consulate in Douglas, Ariz., said he didn't have data to back up ATF's claim that gun-running is on the rise. But he said the Mexican government has recognized it as a huge problem.

"A lot of the drug violence comes through weapons, and those weapons are bought in the U.S.," Saavedra said.

The Mexican government has called on the United States to stop the flow of guns into the country, he said, but America's firearms laws make it hard to stop gun running.

"What's been useful is there has been a lot of cooperation" between the countries to stem the gun trade, Saavedra said.

"If weapons are seized in Mexico, they pass that information to U.S. authorities, and they can track that number to where it was bought, and they can at least confirm if the sale was done legally," he added.

The weapons recently seized by the ATF are among 111 guns the Phoenix office collected this month. Mangan wouldn't provide details about where they were found and where they were headed. The ATF is still investigating the incident, he said.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

The real question is whether they found the .50BMG rifle to go with that ammo. If not then it is just expensive, but useless, ammo. And why single out "FN"? Do they think FN made firearms are illegal to get in this country or something? Now, if they found an M2 or M3M or something, that would be a bit different.

What the is an "assault pistol"?

The Mexican government has called on the United States to stop the flow
    of guns into the country, he said, but America's firearms laws make it
    hard to stop gun running.
    I'll make you a deal, Raul. We'll take back the guns if you take back the illegal aliens. We won't even charge you.

Herk

"A lot of the drug violence comes through weapons, and those weapons are bought in the U.S.," Saavedra said.
    Did I read that right? The drug violence is caused by guns???!!!
    What about the drugs?
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

These are, quite frankly, weapons of war
    So were sticks, rocks, flintlocks, and sabers...

Weapons

When it hits the fan everything is a weapon of war.

Senior Moderator
    I wonder if the ATF would be willing to sell me the 4 ammo cans of .50?

Since they got them for free...they oughto go cheap.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Maybe I missed something myself, but since when is an AK a "sophisticated" firearm? I thought that according to the media, AK's were the choice of terrorists.

And the guy himself who transferred from New York? LOL Oh geez. I bet he had a heart attack the first time he saw someone OC in Arizona. Though I must say I'm kinda confused: Why are they worried about weapons in storage lockers? Who did they belong to? Why were they there? It insinuates that these were illegal weapons. I wonder if this wasn't just somebody's Class 3 collection who had to file for bankruptcy protection or something. My roommate's boss has an example of every firearm HK ever produced sitting in a storage locker in Phoenix. Makes me wonder...
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

i'm pretty sure that even the yo-yo and slingshot were weapons of war too. also, i might not be all THAT up to date with FN guns but I am not aware of an FN "assualt" hangun that shoots 50 cal ammo
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Did I read that right? The drug violence is caused by guns???!!!
    What about the drugs?
    Better yet, what about the VIOLENT CRIMINALS?

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    What the is an "assault pistol"?
    The term was invented by the Brady Campaign when FN Herstal first marketed their Five-seveN handgun. After a couple demos of their (no-longer-produced) AP ammunition, the Brady Campaign freaked out and posted article after article demonizing the Five-seveN as an "assault pistol" because of it's AP ammo's penetrative qualities. This subsequently increased the prices of the Five-seveN by $300 and more, especially when FN began cycling through its different versions (each older version costing almost half a grand more than the newer one).

The term was brought up again in an incident involving Mexican police around the US-Mexico border (gun running, maybe), but I honestly can't remember the details enough to relate them effectively. I just recall the phrase "assault pistol" used in reference to the Five-seveN pistols involved.

-B

Distinguished Member
    So, uh, when's the auction?

BAC--Thanks.

"The guns were worth $250,000"

42 guns for $250,000?

That is $5952.38 each.

Ya, Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Oak View Post
    "The guns were worth $250,000"

42 guns for $250,000?

That is $5952.38 each.

Ya, Right.
    You forgot to add on the federal tax
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links