Assault Weapon Ban summary request

This is a discussion on Assault Weapon Ban summary request within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All, Dear Daughter, at 18, is thinking through issues and making her own decisions. She asked me what an "assault weapon" was, as she's evaluating ...

Thread: Assault Weapon Ban summary request

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Assault Weapon Ban summary request

All,

Dear Daughter, at 18, is thinking through issues and making her own decisions. She asked me what an "assault weapon" was, as she's evaluating the arguments pro and con about the Assault Weapons Ban. I told her that they were basically "scary black guns", but she wants more information than that. I would love to give her more than media summaries on which to base her opinions.

I would greatly appreciate a quick unbiased summary from someone (as I'm not sure of the nuances), and commentary if you wish (though summary and commentary should be kept separate, please). My daughter is respectful, has an extremely good head on her shoulders, is a good shot, and will give careful attention to your comments.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Paymeister; December 30th, 2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Changed title so key point showed up in short version

2. Remove Ads

IMHO the term 'Assault Weapon' is a misnomer.

That term is largely and generally applied to any weapon that is either a long gun or so called old school term of 'machine pistol' whether either or have black or wooden furniture or some combination there of such as the Mini14, Uzi, AK, and SKS variants too.
    Frankly the term is meaningless in the way that it is most often used as relative to the media and/or civilians in polite conversation.
    Further any and all weapons are by media definition assault weapons because of the fact that they are (1) weapons and (2) can be used toward an assault.
    This includes everything from the Remington 870 to Chuck Connors rigged up repeating rifle.

Kudos to your daughter for being a thinker and having the mindset to ask pops rather than run with some garbage from KnowNothingAboutGuns.com or CNN.
    With that maybe you could sit her down in front a PC and together watch this video which is an oldie but goodie and pretty much explains it all...

'The Truth about "Assault Weapons"'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjM9fcEzSJ0

Best of luck!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    The discussion of the Assault Weapon Ban goes far beyond defining Assault Weapons. For starters, I'd have her search around and try to come up with a workable definition of Assault Weapon or Assault Rifle.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Assault is an action,not an item.

Wish your daughter the best, keep us posted on what becomes of this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    ...For starters, I'd have her search around and try to come up with a workable definition of Assault Weapon or Assault Rifle.
    As a start I pulled this from the Massachusetts General Laws;

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XX. PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER

CHAPTER 140. LICENSES

EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES

SALE OF FIREARMS

Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

Section 121. As used in sections 122 to 131P, inclusive, the following words shall, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, have the following meanings:-

“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include: (i) any of the weapons, or replicas or duplicates of such weapons, specified in appendix A to 18 U.S.C. section 922 as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994, as such weapons were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (ii) any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that has been rendered permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a semiautomatic assault weapon; (iv) any weapon that was manufactured prior to the year 1899; (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable assault weapon; (vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or (vii) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

Source - http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've always considered it to be any rifle that has the option for burst or full-auto fire and meant to be fired from the shoulder.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

A key characteristic of a true 'assault weapon' is that it be capable of firing 'fully automatic'.

links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysf8x...eature=related

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I agree with P7, my definition of "assault weapon" is a high-capacity, fully-automatic weapon.

I think the general (sheep) population defines it as "scary looking rifle", many people think any hi-cap rifle (even semiauto) that doesn't look like a "hunting gun" is an "assault weapon".

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

...."It's a thing that goes up..."
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

One of my college professers (way back many moons ago) defined assult rifles as 'black' rifles and carbines generally used by military......and said 'assult rifle' as a decription came about around the late 70's (?) when SWAT teams began forming and adopting the military equipment and tactics. The BG's (cartels, terrorists, mid-level ganges/thugs) also picked up on these rifles (not so much the tactics) to ply thier trade.
    Zaria and P7's defination is right on to describe the rifle itself. The media and police dept.'s used the term and made it infamous.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I think it's fitting that the enemies of our freedom are using the name that Hitler gave to battle rifles: Sturmgewehr
    From Wikipedia:
    The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally meaning "storm rifle"), "storm" used as a verb being synonymous with assault, as in "to storm the compound". Sturmgewehr was coined by Adolf Hitler to describe the Maschinenpistole 44, subsequently re-christened Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first widely-used assault rifle and served to popularize the concept. The translation “assault rifle” gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the name giver StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have all of the following five characteristics to qualify as an assault rifle:[1][2][3]

* Is a carbine sized individual weapon with provision to be fired from a shouldered position.

Barrel length is usually 400 mm to 500 mm (16” to 20”)

* Is capable of selective fire.
    * Fires from a locked breech.
    * Utilizes an intermediate powered-cartridge.
    * Ammunition is supplied from a large capacity detachable box magazine.

Most common is a capacity of 30 rounds, sometimes 20 rounds.

The following features are commonly found on assault rifles, but those are not exclusive to assault rifles, as those features are shared with many submachine guns, battle rifles, automatic rifles and machine guns:

* Protruding pistol grip.
    * Folding, retractable or otherwise collapsible shoulder stock.
    * Bipod
    * Muzzle device like a muzzle brake or a flash suppressor.

There are commentators who use the expression “assault rifle” more loosely to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or civilian semi-automatic off-shoots of military rifles for commercial or political reasons. Some militaries of nations outside of the English-speaking world also have a different definition of assault rifle. For instance, the analogous term in the Swedish Armed Forces is automatkarbin (literally "automatic carbine") which includes both assault rifles and battle rifles.
    Link to full article
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    youtube has some funny, yet informative videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sfKADcfE90U

and MY FAVOURITE:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9rGpykAX1fo
    Last edited by nutz4utwo; January 4th, 2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: sorry can;t spell
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Haha, that was an awesome interview.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    NO THATS A HEAT/Barrel SHROUD!!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links