ConocoPhillips v. Henry District Ct. Decision

This is a discussion on ConocoPhillips v. Henry District Ct. Decision within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know if anyone has been following this case but there was an interesting ruling by the District Court that could have some far ...

View Poll Results: Do you think the 2nd Ammendment trumps Federal Safety Laws (OSH 1970)?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 94.05%
  • No

3 3.57%
  • It depends

2 2.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ConocoPhillips v. Henry District Ct. Decision

ConocoPhillips v. Henry District Ct. Decision

I don't know if anyone has been following this case but there was an interesting ruling by the District Court that could have some far reaching impact (and not for the good, IMHO).

In summary, ConocoPhillips sued because OK passed a law allowing workers to transport and store guns in a locked vehicle on company property (provided they had been appropriately registered and licensed/etc.).

ConocoPhillips raised two objections to the law:

1. It violated their property rights.

2. It prevented them from meeting the requirements of the OSH Act of 1970.

The court rejected claim #1 and accepted claim #2, overturning the law effective immediately.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

I should have added, here's the case information:

ConocoPhillips Company v. Henry
    U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
    No. 04-CV-820-TCK-SAJ, 2007

And for the record, I was the first NO vote and it was an ACCIDENT. Ugh.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    An Amendment always trumps law.
    No law can violate the Constitution.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

State appeals federal ruling on workplace gun bans

by Marie Price
    The Journal Record November 7, 2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma has appealed an October federal court ruling that blocked enforcement of a 2004 state law that would restrict employers’ right to ban guns in the workplace. In October, U.S. District Judge Terence Kern handed down a permanent injunction, saying the 2004 statute conflicts with federal laws that protect workers on the job, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1970.

Kern’s decision was appealed to the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals by Gov. Brad Henry and Oklahoma Attorney General Drew Edmondson, who were sued in their capacities as state officials in October 2004 by Whirlpool. That company has since pulled out of the lawsuit, which is now headed up by ConocoPhillips as chief plaintiff.

Other challengers include Tulsa Winch Inc., DP Manufacturing Inc., Norris, Ramsey Winch Inc. and Auto Crane Co.

In late October 2004, before the law was scheduled to go into effect, U.S. District Judge Sven Holmes issued a temporary restraining order stalling the statute while the court case continued. Holmes said the Oklahoma statute conflicts with several federal laws. In a November hearing that year, Holmes said the Oklahoma law could affect the enforcement of some 25 federal laws. He extended the temporary restraining order as arguments in the case continued.

Additional amendments were approved in 2005, giving employers immunity from liability if a firearm in an employee’s vehicle is used by a third person to injure or kill someone at work. In his decision last month, Kern concluded that the Oklahoma law does not amount to an unconstitutional taking of property rights or deprivation of a fundamental right, but is pre-empted by the federal occupational safety law.

The federal law requires employers to abate workplace hazards that could lead to death or serious bodily harm and encourages businesses to prevent gun-related workplace injuries.

Kern said the Oklahoma law criminally prohibits an effective method of cutting down such injuries “and cannot coexist with federal obligations and objectives.”

“The court has serious concerns about these criminal laws, which deprive Oklahoma property owners of the right to exclude those individuals carrying and transporting firearms in their vehicles,” Kern said. However, Kern said the court’s protection of Oklahoma citizens’ property rights is limited by U.S. Supreme Court decisions interpreting due process and the takings clause of the U.S. Constitution.

I coppied this from an Okla shooters forum

Michael

"provided they had been appropriately registered and licensed/etc.)."

There is no registration or licensing required in OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    "provided they had been appropriately registered and licensed/etc.)."

There is no registration or licensing required in OK.
    I got it from radio news... I wouldn't know. Not my choice of words anyways. We don't have to register our guns here either, but we do have to be licensed to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post

AFS
    If only we could get our elected officials and members of the court to agree with us.

Somewhat torn on this issue. While I believe its common sense NOT to restrict legal firearms at work or anywhere else, it is the company's personal property. That's why they can restrict someone's free speech (like telling employees they must speak English on the job). However,by restricting firearms and having no armed security,metal detectors or otherwise, they could be partially liable, just as someone who is injuired while doing their job improperly gets workman's compensation.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

AFS
    The Constitution protects you from government action, not from a private party action.

How is an employer setting the rules for his company which exclude firearms from the premises different from your neighbor telling you he does not allow firearms on his property?

If the government can tell an employer that he has to allow firearms on company property, it can tell you that you must allow Reverend Al has the right to come onto your property for a protest.

After all, if we are going to force a private land owner to honor the second amendment, we can do the same for the first amendment as well - private property rights be dammed.

VIP Member
    Before I can answer I would have to know how the OSH act is worded. If Conoco want to prohibit guns in the workplace, since it is there building, that is their right. BUT it also prohibits having it in your vehicle, which I think is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    The Constitution protects you from government action, not from a private party action.

How is an employer setting the rules for his company which exclude firearms from the premises different from your neighbor telling you he does not allow firearms on his property?

If the government can tell an employer that he has to allow firearms on company property, it can tell you that you must allow Reverend Al has the right to come onto your property for a protest.

After all, if we are going to force a private land owner to honor the second amendment, we can do the same for the first amendment as well - private property rights be dammed.
    I agree completely... that said, this particular court has rejected the property rights claim, and asserted the right of the federal government to require the company to keep their property "safe".

I'm not upset with the outcome of this case, so much as I am upset with the reason for the outcome. They flatly rejected the property owners rights while supporting federal legislation that tells the property owner what they need to do.

The law came about because an employer made all employees to let them search their vehicles for firearms. If you didn't let them search your car, you were fired. If you let them and they found a firearm you were fired. Many employees were fired that day.

It's not about bringing a firearm into the building. It's about letting employees keep a firearm in their vehicle in the company parking lot.

The companies don't want employees to be able to do that. So you can't defend yourself to and from work.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    The question I ansswered was does the 2A trump mOSHA. Not the constitutionality of Conoco restricting the ability of their employees to bring a gun to work.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

The question I ansswered was does the 2A trump mOSHA. Not the constitutionality of Conoco restricting the ability of their employees to bring a gun to work.

AFS
    + 1. Big difference.

Government safety mandates are unconstitutional. The 2nd amendment obviously trumps a law that by the Founders' standards is a corrupt sign of government bloat.

However, it does not trump private property. I realise that's not what the poll is about, just wanted it out there. If the company doesn't like your guns, you're free to not work there. They're also free to fire folks who insist on having their guns on their property if they don't want them to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links