Richardson Democrat New Mex Gun Permit

This is a discussion on Richardson Democrat New Mex Gun Permit within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New Mexico far to restrictive on the 2A. 1. Expensive piece of paper. 2. Must re-qual every two years to keep the piece of paper. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richardson Democrat New Mex Gun Permit

Richardson Democrat New Mex Gun Permit

New Mexico far to restrictive on the 2A.

1. Expensive piece of paper.
    2. Must re-qual every two years to keep the piece of paper.
    3. Cannot carry and take "over the counter" meds.
    4. Instructor must be approved by the State, instead of say NRA Instructor or going next door to AZ to Gunsite.
    5. Only 198 Instructors for the entire State. Need more Instructors
    6. Must 21 years old instead of 18 years old.
    7. Permit only good for carrying one handgun. No Back Hand Gun, No Fighting Knife.
    8. Single Concealed Handgun Permit instead of a Concealed Weapon Permit.

++++

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/ccwFaq.php

$100 for first permit for 4 years then $75 renewal for more 4 years

There is a requalification requirement at two years.

No. Pursuant to NMSA 1978 Section 30-7-4, no person shall carry a concealed handgun while impaired by the use of alcohol, controlled substances, or over-the-counter or prescribed medications.

Instructors continue to be approved by the Department of Public Safety. A list of the approved names and contact information is updated as new instructors are added and is available at the link below. These and only these instructors have been approved to teach the statutorily required courses. Applicants are cautioned to take courses offered only by the listed approved instructors. Any other type of course will not be accepted for purposes of concealed handgun licensing.

You must be at least 21 years old

. A licensee will only be allowed to carry one concealed handgun on their person at a time.

only 198 State approved Instructors for the entire State of New Mexico
    http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement...nstructors.php

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement...pleteAct05.pdf
    State of New Mexico Laws for Concealed Carry

2. Remove Ads

I have little to no issue with any of those conditions.

The cost of $100 toward application is on par with many other states. I paid total five times that amount including a $120 reg. fee in MA. And my VA CHP cost me in total just over $150. Being lower than $100 for an app. fee would be grand but it's not exactly exorbitant.
    Instructors being state certified isn't unusual nor extreme either. I'd bet the Gunsite guys are NM qualified.
    I've no issue with the age limit of 21 either.

I doubt they have a permit to allow carry of a knife. I know of no state, not even MA (yet), that requires a permit to carry a knife on ones person.
    As to being toward a single handgun and not applicable or allowing a backup, that's a bit silly but again not exactly unheard of amongst states that support concealed carry.
    As well carrying while under the influence of alcohol, drugs be they recreational or prescribed, and/or NyQuil is just a no brainer bad idea. Especially if said medication states on the side of the box do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. In such a case it's probably just as bad an idea to try to aim ones firearm on the streets whilst using said product.
    I already censor myself to this end toward taking such meds prescribed or OTC and it's not due to law but good and reasonable sense.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; January 2nd, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    There are a wide variety of “licensed liquor establishments” in New Mexico, including: saloons, bars, taverns, pubs, nightclubs, restaurants, pizza parlors, golf courses, country clubs, private and fraternal clubs, racetracks, sportplexes, coliseums, pavilions, concert theaters, hotel lounges, gas stations, convenience stores, grocery stores, supermarkets, mixed product stores (i.e. Wal-Mart, Costco, Walgreen’s, Sam’s Club, Furr’s, Smith’s, Raley’s, etc…) It is a felony to carry any firearm, loaded or unloaded, into any area of these businesses (See Sections 60-3A-3.M, & 30-7-3, NMSA 1978).
    You can't carry inside a Wally World in NM?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    As of July 1, 2007, 30-7-3 NMSA 1978 allows a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in New Mexico to legally carry into a licensed liquor establishment that DOES NOT sell alcohol for consumption on the premise. Please read and ensure that you thoroughly understand above-referenced statue. It can be accessed through the main concealed carry page.

Well I guess Wally World is ok, unless they have a bar in them out there.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The first time i carried in NM i did not understand the wally world deal at the time . Tho unintentional carry i guess there is something to be said for Concealed is Concealed . I found out the statute later and just went white since i seemed to have violated a law on carry without any intent what so ever . Same thing happened in TX at a hospital for me . I conceal well , and i never violate any law i know about , when i dont know the law see the part about conceal well lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    6. Must 21 years old instead of 18 years old.
    wait.. where is the legal age 18?
    its 21 all around here

No state got everything right the first time when they passed CCW. NM is no exception.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Nahh Sig i aint bitching about NM . I " Blue brotherhood " carried there for years and had NM officers carry in CO without any real legal standing at the time . In all honesty the NM officers ( at least in the north of the state ) are imho at least as common sense oriented as statute . My wally world screwup was in Raton and even had i been " caught " imho common sense would have prevailed and i would have left with some stern words but no arrest . My opinion on this tho no garontee is somewhat informed lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    No state got everything right the first time when they passed CCW. NM is no exception.
    Bingo.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

IMHO the regulation and prohibitions for CCW permit here in NM, or elsewhere just keep some brain damaged **** from shooting themself or me in the foot. At least I know what others with the permit had to do in order to obtain one. Yes, the "no carry in most convienence stores" was a glaring error, but the legislature was amenable to changing that last year. NM is also an open carry state where, other than the urban Rio Grande corridor, no one really looks twice if any one carries openly, or has a long gun in a pickup rack. When I took the course for my permit, the instructor stated we lived in the state, the county, and the city with the highest CCW per capita ratio. Doesn't sound horrendously restrictive to me. Yes, Castle Doctrine didn't get passed last year, but will be watching the legislative session again this year for passage. <rant off> just my .02
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Beg to differ

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Florida did. We have been the benchmark when it comes to the ccw revolution. Florida's SHALL ISSUE permit has been the standard since it first passed in 1987. We were also the FIRST to revamp the "Castle Doctrine" and subsequently other states followed our lead. We have more than our share of doofus liberals who continually try and gut our gun laws and at times they score some minor victories, but overall we did fine.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Mostly I agree with Jang.

I do not really know what this quote means, "No. Pursuant to NMSA 1978 Section 30-7-4, no person shall carry a concealed handgun while impaired by the use of alcohol, controlled substances, or over-the-counter or prescribed medications."

Taken literally, there is a key word in there, "impaired." Merely having taken some alcohol, OTC, or prescription med doesn't necessarily mean that you are impaired.

If NM law defines "imparied" to mean any detecable level of any of the above would be a violation, I think the law is too restrictive.

ExSoldier-

Well Flori-Duh is a close second.....Indiana has had CCW since 1934, issue at age 18...Fill out paper work, background check (NO TRAINING REQ.) get permit and carry anywhere you want (except federal restrictions)and now issuing lifetime permits.

Too bad I'm stuck in the state of Misery right now.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    No state got everything right the first time when they passed CCW.
    Indiana did - beating Florida by 50 years and on a lot of other issues. (I remember hearing all the hoorah when FL passed its concealed carry statute, and I remember thinking - "You have to be 21? And take a class? And you can't carry in all these places? And this is considered to be a goodthing?" I was sure happy to have my IN pink slip in my pocket at the time.)

Oh. I see F350's already posted about my Hoosier homeland. :)
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

Erich-
    I'm a Hoosier boy too, sure do miss it. People look at me like I'm a liar when I tell them in Indiana you can carry in a bar, sporting event, hospital, heck until a few years ago all you had to do was sign that you weren’t getting on a plane and you could carry down to the gates at an airport. And there are no provisions for businesses to post off limits to CCW and as I said “Now issuing lifetime carry permits”.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links