Defensive Carry banner

Richardson Democrat New Mex Gun Permit

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  tabsr 
#1 ·
New Mexico far to restrictive on the 2A.

1. Expensive piece of paper.
2. Must re-qual every two years to keep the piece of paper.
3. Cannot carry and take "over the counter" meds.
4. Instructor must be approved by the State, instead of say NRA Instructor or going next door to AZ to Gunsite.
5. Only 198 Instructors for the entire State. Need more Instructors
6. Must 21 years old instead of 18 years old.
7. Permit only good for carrying one handgun. No Back Hand Gun, No Fighting Knife.
8. Single Concealed Handgun Permit instead of a Concealed Weapon Permit.

++++

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/ccwFaq.php

$100 for first permit for 4 years then $75 renewal for more 4 years

There is a requalification requirement at two years.

No. Pursuant to NMSA 1978 Section 30-7-4, no person shall carry a concealed handgun while impaired by the use of alcohol, controlled substances, or over-the-counter or prescribed medications.

Instructors continue to be approved by the Department of Public Safety. A list of the approved names and contact information is updated as new instructors are added and is available at the link below. These and only these instructors have been approved to teach the statutorily required courses. Applicants are cautioned to take courses offered only by the listed approved instructors. Any other type of course will not be accepted for purposes of concealed handgun licensing.

You must be at least 21 years old

. A licensee will only be allowed to carry one concealed handgun on their person at a time.

only 198 State approved Instructors for the entire State of New Mexico
http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/ccwInstructors.php

http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/docs/completeAct05.pdf
State of New Mexico Laws for Concealed Carry

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have little to no issue with any of those conditions.

The cost of $100 toward application is on par with many other states. I paid total five times that amount including a $120 reg. fee in MA. And my VA CHP cost me in total just over $150. Being lower than $100 for an app. fee would be grand but it's not exactly exorbitant.
Instructors being state certified isn't unusual nor extreme either. I'd bet the Gunsite guys are NM qualified.
I've no issue with the age limit of 21 either.

I doubt they have a permit to allow carry of a knife. I know of no state, not even MA (yet), that requires a permit to carry a knife on ones person.
As to being toward a single handgun and not applicable or allowing a backup, that's a bit silly but again not exactly unheard of amongst states that support concealed carry.
As well carrying while under the influence of alcohol, drugs be they recreational or prescribed, and/or NyQuil is just a no brainer bad idea. Especially if said medication states on the side of the box do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. In such a case it's probably just as bad an idea to try to aim ones firearm on the streets whilst using said product.
I already censor myself to this end toward taking such meds prescribed or OTC and it's not due to law but good and reasonable sense.

- Janq

#3 ·
There are a wide variety of “licensed liquor establishments” in New Mexico, including: saloons, bars, taverns, pubs, nightclubs, restaurants, pizza parlors, golf courses, country clubs, private and fraternal clubs, racetracks, sportplexes, coliseums, pavilions, concert theaters, hotel lounges, gas stations, convenience stores, grocery stores, supermarkets, mixed product stores (i.e. Wal-Mart, Costco, Walgreen’s, Sam’s Club, Furr’s, Smith’s, Raley’s, etc…) It is a felony to carry any firearm, loaded or unloaded, into any area of these businesses (See Sections 60-3A-3.M, & 30-7-3, NMSA 1978).
You can't carry inside a Wally World in NM?:blink:

#4 ·
As of July 1, 2007, 30-7-3 NMSA 1978 allows a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in New Mexico to legally carry into a licensed liquor establishment that DOES NOT sell alcohol for consumption on the premise. Please read and ensure that you thoroughly understand above-referenced statue. It can be accessed through the main concealed carry page.

Well I guess Wally World is ok, unless they have a bar in them out there.

#5 ·
The first time i carried in NM i did not understand the wally world deal at the time . Tho unintentional carry i guess there is something to be said for Concealed is Concealed . I found out the statute later and just went white since i seemed to have violated a law on carry without any intent what so ever . Same thing happened in TX at a hospital for me . I conceal well , and i never violate any law i know about , when i dont know the law see the part about conceal well lol .

#8 ·
Nahh Sig i aint bitching about NM . I " Blue brotherhood " carried there for years and had NM officers carry in CO without any real legal standing at the time . In all honesty the NM officers ( at least in the north of the state ) are imho at least as common sense oriented as statute . My wally world screwup was in Raton and even had i been " caught " imho common sense would have prevailed and i would have left with some stern words but no arrest . My opinion on this tho no garontee is somewhat informed lol .

#10 ·
IMHO the regulation and prohibitions for CCW permit here in NM, or elsewhere just keep some brain damaged dink from shooting themself or me in the foot. At least I know what others with the permit had to do in order to obtain one. Yes, the "no carry in most convienence stores" was a glaring error, but the legislature was amenable to changing that last year. NM is also an open carry state where, other than the urban Rio Grande corridor, no one really looks twice if any one carries openly, or has a long gun in a pickup rack. When I took the course for my permit, the instructor stated we lived in the state, the county, and the city with the highest CCW per capita ratio. Doesn't sound horrendously restrictive to me. Yes, Castle Doctrine didn't get passed last year, but will be watching the legislative session again this year for passage. <rant off> just my .02 :tumbleweed:

#12 ·
Mostly I agree with Jang.

I do not really know what this quote means, "No. Pursuant to NMSA 1978 Section 30-7-4, no person shall carry a concealed handgun while impaired by the use of alcohol, controlled substances, or over-the-counter or prescribed medications."

Taken literally, there is a key word in there, "impaired." Merely having taken some alcohol, OTC, or prescription med doesn't necessarily mean that you are impaired.

If NM law defines "imparied" to mean any detecable level of any of the above would be a violation, I think the law is too restrictive.

#13 ·
ExSoldier-

Well Flori-Duh is a close second.....Indiana has had CCW since 1934, issue at age 18...Fill out paper work, background check (NO TRAINING REQ.) get permit and carry anywhere you want (except federal restrictions)and now issuing lifetime permits.

Too bad I'm stuck in the state of Misery right now.

#14 ·
No state got everything right the first time when they passed CCW.
Indiana did - beating Florida by 50 years and on a lot of other issues. (I remember hearing all the hoorah when FL passed its concealed carry statute, and I remember thinking - "You have to be 21? And take a class? And you can't carry in all these places? And this is considered to be a goodthing?" I was sure happy to have my IN pink slip in my pocket at the time.)

Oh. I see F350's already posted about my Hoosier homeland. :)

#15 ·
Erich-
I'm a Hoosier boy too, sure do miss it. People look at me like I'm a liar when I tell them in Indiana you can carry in a bar, sporting event, hospital, heck until a few years ago all you had to do was sign that you weren’t getting on a plane and you could carry down to the gates at an airport. And there are no provisions for businesses to post off limits to CCW and as I said “Now issuing lifetime carry permits”.

#16 ·
In MA I can and do carry to a bar, sporting events, to the hospital (I was carrying while actually delivering my second born), and I've carried at two different regional airports but would not try that at a major Intl. airport. Better even than VA which I also have a resident license in.
MA is pretty darn good as well, if by chance you are lucky enough to secure as much. :\

- Janq

#20 ·
“Now issuing lifetime carry permits”.
God bless State Senator Johnny Nugent (now on the NRA board) !

FWIW, I've never voted for Fatso, er, Governor Richardson, but I think he's the best of the Dems running - and he has an NRA "A" rating.

#21 ·
Minnesota

Surprise, when the legislator was controlled by republicans, we pased carry permit and not CC permit. We can carry most places including bars. This may change with the libs gaining control once again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.