Handgun Free America

This is a discussion on Handgun Free America within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Doggonit I thought they were giving away handguns FREE in America! I'm going to send them an E-mail & ask them where I go to ...

Thread: Handgun Free America

Administrator

Post Handgun Free America

Doggonit I thought they were giving away handguns FREE in America!
    I'm going to send them an E-mail & ask them where I go to get my free handgun.
    These people are MORE dangerous than any handgun. THEY ARE MORE DANGEROUS TO US THAN THE BRADY BUNCH. Click here to mad as Hell at this total BS.

Handguns pose a disastrous threat to your freedom. Your freedom to live without fear of being shot on the street or in your home. Your freedom to bring your children to school without concern they will encounter a handgun in school.

While there have been many efforts to reduce gun deaths and injuries in America, tens of thousands of people continue to die every year from the handgun epidemic. From accidental shootings and suicides to murders and other criminal actions, handguns are a plague on our society that must be eradicated.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt called freedom from fear one of the four essential human freedoms. It is time to take back your freedom by showing your support for eradicating the handgun epidemic in America - sign up for your free membership with Handgun-Free America today.

Handguns have truly become a plague on our society that absolutely must be cured. The easy access to handguns by practically everyone in the United States has proven to be extremely dangerous. Since 1960, more than 1 million Americans have died from handguns. In the 90's, our nation witnessed some of the worst cases of handgun tragedy ever seen anywhere in the world. During the 90's, more than one person was killed or injured with a firearm every five minutes! It is time to make a change.

Why do handguns account for less than 35% of all guns in America but close to 70% of all firearm deaths in America? Because handguns are the weapon of choice for suicide, homicide and the most likely weapons to injure or kill in unintentional shootings. Over the past several decades, the gun industry has begun to manufacture more and more handguns, as well as handguns that are more lethal, more concealable and less costly. In 1980, only 32% of the 2.3 million handguns manufactured were semi-automatics. In 2000, 75% of the 1.3 million handguns manufactured were semi-automatics. A recent study completed by the Urban Institute noted that "between 1985 and 1993 ... gun-related homicides - mostly involving handguns - accounted for the entire increase in homicides over that eight-year period. While firearm homicides increased by 53 percent between 1985 and 1993, nongun-related homicides actually declined by 5%." According to a nationally-acclaimed criminologist from Northeastern University, 25.51% of all handguns manufactured in 1991 had been used in a crime by the end of 2001! This means that one out of every four handguns is used in a crime in America within 10 years from the time they are manufactured.

The public has already voiced its support for banning private handgun ownership. According to a study completed by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago, more people support banning the possession of handguns by anybody other than law enforcement personnel and the military than have ever purchased a handgun. (See below.) This is amazing - more Americans agree that we should ban handguns than people who have ever purchased a handgun! While this survey indicates it is still a minority of Americans who support banning handguns, HFA believes strongly that if the American public were aware of the extent of the handgun epidemic, the level of support for banning handguns would skyrocket. This is the goal of Handgun-Free America. In addition to this, there are also a large number of organizations and prominent individuals who support banning handguns in the United States. Click here for a partial listing.

Table 1. Support for banning handguns and handgun purchases.*

Region* Want Ban on Possession (%) Ever Purchased Handgun (%)
    New England (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT) 46.5 11.8
    Middle Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA) 51.0 13.3
    East North Central (IL, IN, MI, OH, WI) 40.2 17.4
    West North Central (IA, KS, MN, MO, ND, NE, SD) 28.9 17.1
    South Atlantic (DC, DE, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV) 35.3 26.0
    East South Central (AL, KY, MS, TN) 27.1 28.9
    West South Central (AR, LA, OK, TX) 29.3 29.3
    Mountain (AZ, CO, ID, MT, NM, NV, UT, WY) 28.9 29.7
    Pacific (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA) 33.9 25.7
    Total 36.6 22.1

State Want Ban on Possession (%) Ever Purchased Handgun (%)
    California 36.9 26.1
    New York 58.8 11.8
    Pennsylvania 36.9 14.3
    Texas 31.4 27.8

*Questions posed were: "Do you think there should be a law that would ban the possession of handguns except for the police and other authorized persons?" and "Have you ever purchased a handgun?"

Source: National Opinion Research Center. "Attitudes Towards and Experiences with Guns: A State-Level Perspective." Tom W. Smith and Luis Martos. (PDF)

Additional Public Opinion Data:

Student Survey: Columbine Generation Fears Gun Violence on Campuses
    NORC 1999 Attitudes Toward and Experience with Guns: A State-Level Perspective
    Full Survey Results 117 Pages. (PDF)
    NORC 1998 National Gun Policy Survey
    Summary 2 Pages. (PDF)
    Full Survey Results 64 Pages. (PDF)
    NORC 1996 National Gun Policy Survey
    Summary 2 Pages (PDF)

YOU FIREARMS INSTRUCTORS ARE SUPPORTING TERRORISM!!!
    The gun industry in America has not only armed criminals and children with their weapons, but has increasingly begun providing weapons directly to both foreign and domestic terrorist entities. Since the terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, intelligence has been uncovered that shows terrorists have repeatedly exploited the easy availability of weapons through legal channels in the United States, especially gun shows.

An al Qaeda terrorist manual obtained by the Violence Policy Center details for terrorists how easy it is to obtain weapons and weapons training in the United States without being concerned about getting caught. According to the Violence Policy Center, the manual states, among other things:

"In some countries of the World, especially the USA, firearms training is available to the general public. One should try to join a shooting club if possible and make regular visits to the firing range."

Unfortunately, while the Bush Administration is focusing much of its efforts on the war against terrorism, it is conspicuously silent when it comes to guns and terrorists. A recent report entitled "Gun Land" by PBS, KQED, and the Center for Investigative Reporting, found that terrorists are exploiting loopholes in American gun laws to purchase weapons and the government is not doing anything to stop it. According to the report, "U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft has chosen to side with the NRA at the expense of the war on terrorism."

The report is referring to the contradictory position taken by Ashcroft where, on one hand, he has said he will use all powers within the Department of Justice to track down and arrest terrorists, but on the other hand, he has blatantly forbidden the Federal Bureau of Investigation from finding out whether terrorists have purchased or attempted to purchase weapons in the United States. At a Congressional hearing on Sept. 24, 2001, Ashcroft stated: "It's our position at the Justice Department and the position of this administration that we need to unleash every possible tool in the fight against terrorism and to do so promptly." Unfortunately, Ashcroft refused to follow through with this promise.

Blah Blah Blah Blah..............

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Quite frankly, this pisses me off so much, I simply can't comment and stay within the limits of the forum rules. Let's just say I disagree with them completely....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Do these people honestly believe that if we outlaw guns that the couple million in circulation will just disappear?

Who'd they ask this question to, the Brady Bunch??? I find it hard to believe that Texas and PA would want a ban on handguns, maybe i'm just young and naive and no nothing about the world yet.

Also these people keep bringing up the fact that terrorist obtain guns from gun shows and this and that. If you were a terrorist wouldn't you want a full auto that can be obtained much easier from say russia.

Final rant before I go off on this article...suicide should not count as a gun death statistic. These people knowingly misuse the weapon and there's little anyone can do to prevent this, especially if the individual is motivated.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Maybe to show our support for "the cause" we should have one of those guns for cash events. $20 and we'll take your gun from you, I bet we can get a few good ones out of it and make it worth our while.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

1943 - 2009
    I think this outfit's percentage statistics are highly suspect, to say the least.

As my old college forestry professor said, "figures lie and liars figure".

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    The true sign of a BS article:

According to a nationally-acclaimed criminologist from Northeastern University, 25.51% of all handguns manufactured in 1991 had been used in a crime by the end of 2001!
    When names are not mentioned.........
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Guns and Women

The firearms industry has recently begun to target women to become the next set of gun-owning Americans.* While they would like to portray women as helpless and defenseless individuals who need a firearm to protect themselves from the crazy man in the dark alley or the intruder to the home, this is a dangerously false portrayal.*In 1998, for example, handguns were only used in 12 justifiable homicides by women, and the assailant was known to the woman in 8 of these cases.
    So they're saying: "Screw the 12 women who survived their attackers. We'd rather they not have those horrible, evil handguns and be beaten, raped and murdered instead." Lovely.

And they have the usual yadda-yadda about the gunshow/private sale loopholes. I bought four guns off a preacher. I wonder what they'd think of that?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Notice it failed to mention anything about the crimes that were prevented with the mere presence of a gun. I believe a lot more than 12 woman were beneficiaries of having a gun in an attempted attack.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    The true sign of a BS article:

When names are not mentioned.........

The "nationally acclaimed criminologist from Northeastern University" is Dr. Jack Levin. He's "nationally acclaimed" because he always makes himself available to all the TV talk shows and snews media every time there is a murder/shooting.

Jack lives in my town, works for my alma mater (not that I hold NU in high respect anymore, because I don't), and is the Brother of a casual friend (clergywoman) of ours. Next time I see Jack, I'll whack him in the head over that BS "statistic".

Jack is absolutely for banning all guns, has a simplistic approach that this would result in a lot fewer crimes and is "full of it" in this regard.

Could you please ID the exact link on the referenced website that leads to this "statistic", I want to go in prepared when I see him? Thanks.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    According to a nationally known fact more people die each year from drunk drivers, seeing the obvious cause of these deaths as Highways, I suggest that we ban all paved roads. I realize that perhaps it would make more sense to blame the drivers of the vehicles, but banning paved roads is the way to go.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Assistant Administrator
    I too am incensed to point of high blood pressure. This is so typical of the emotion-driven crap we see all too much - engineered to appeal to the soft bellied sheeple, who will of course lap it up.

No reference or comparison with the armed criminal and how they might suggest disarming them - no mention of lives saved, let alone any thought to a person's innate right to self defence.

I dare not comment as would be my wont - because I would seriously compromize the board and its rules. <puke smilie>
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm with Bumper. So, I'll attempt to shine some light in a related direction. From the 17th Annual Survey of Police Chiefs & Sheriffs/National Association of Chiefs of Police the following information is presented.

93.6% feel that law abiding citizens should be able to purchase a firearm for sport or self defense.

96.1% agree that criminals are able to obtain basically any type of firearm by illegal means.

93.2% believe that the media are not impartial/fair in reporting news.

63.1% believe that a national concealed handgun permit will reduce rates of violent crimes as recent studies in some states have already shown.

These are only the highlights, but it tends to indicate that the info put out by our enemies indicating that police favor more handgun control is the purest B.S. Also our enemies seem to be blind to the situation in the UK.

buzzg

Links