New DC Attorney General fires lead attorney in Heller case

This is a discussion on New DC Attorney General fires lead attorney in Heller case within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mayor Fenty is making some changes in his administration. Evidently Singer didn't support his administration in the manner he thought she should so she is ...

Thread: New DC Attorney General fires lead attorney in Heller case

VIP Member

Mayor Fenty is making some changes in his administration. Evidently Singer didn't support his administration in the manner he thought she should so she is out. A Fenty friend is in and he has fired the lead attorney in the Heller SCOTUS case.

Attorney For D.C. in Gun Ban Case Fired
    Counsel Was Set To Defend Law Before High Court

By David Nakamura
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, January 3, 2008; B01

Acting D.C. Attorney General Peter Nickles has fired the city lawyer who had been preparing to defend the District's longtime ban on handguns before the Supreme Court this spring, a move that some city officials fear could harm the case.

Alan B. Morrison, who has argued 20 cases before the high court, was asked to leave his post as special counsel by the end of this week. Morrison had been hired by then-Attorney General Linda Singer and put in charge of arguing the handgun case. Singer resigned two weeks ago.

Nickles declined to elaborate on his decision, but Morrison suggested in an interview that he was fired as part of a feud between Nickles and Singer.

The case is one of the most important in the city's history, and the court's ruling could have a national impact, legal experts have said. The city appealed to the Supreme Court to maintain the handgun ban after a lower court overturned it in the spring. The high court agreed to hear the case, probably in March, which would mark the first time the Supreme Court has examined a Second Amendment case in nearly 70 years.

Morrison had taken an active part, along with a team of lawyers from the city and two private firms, in writing a 15,000-word brief that is scheduled to be filed with the Supreme Court tomorrow. In recent weeks, Morrison led a practice run -- known as a moot court -- through the oral arguments he planned to make in the courtroom. During typical high court hearings, each side has 30 minutes to present its case while being peppered by questions from the justices.

Nickles said yesterday that he will announce a replacement for Morrison in the next 10 days. He said the team of lawyers who had been working with Morrison -- including D.C. Solicitor General Todd Kim, Thomas C. Goldstein of Akin Gump and Walter E. Dellinger of O'Melveny & Myers -- would remain on the case. Goldstein has argued 17 Supreme Court cases, and Dellinger was acting U.S. solicitor general during the high court's 1996-97 term.

Nickles said in a recent interview that he admires Robert Long, a former colleague at Covington & Burling who has argued 14 Supreme Court cases.

"The brief we are submitting is a fabulous brief, a winning brief by a great team," Nickles said. "We will not miss a step. . . . Alan is a very good lawyer, but I decided to move in a different direction. It's not as if one person is indispensable."

Nickles met with Morrison on Dec. 21, shortly after Singer's resignation. But Morrison said he did not learn that he was fired until Friday, when he received an e-mail from Deputy Attorney General Eugene A. Adams.

D.C. Council member Phil Mendelson (D-At Large), chairman of the Committee on Public Safety and the Judiciary, which oversees the attorney general's office, said that he spoke with Nickles about the handgun case Tuesday but that Nickles said nothing about the firing.

"It's like committing hari-kari. We're in the middle of preparing for a Supreme Court case," Mendelson said, adding that he has heard "nothing but praise" for Morrison's work on the brief.

Morrison suggested yesterday that Nickles was interested in purging the attorney general's office of Singer's allies. Singer had indicated frustration that Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) relied more heavily on Nickles, who had been his general counsel, to make key legal decisions. Upon Singer's resignation, Fenty replaced her with Nickles, a former corporate litigator and friend of Fenty's family.

Describing their meeting, Morrison said Nickles asked him whether he "was part of a campaign" to discredit the Fenty administration in the news media after Singer's resignation.

"He hadn't made up his mind who would argue" the Supreme Court case, Morrison said, "but told me it was automatically disqualifying if I was part of a campaign."

Singer's chief of staff, Betsy Miller, and her spokeswoman, Melissa Merz, have resigned.

Nickles said Morrison's account of their meeting was "inaccurate." In a statement, Fenty praised Nickles but declined to address specifics about Morrison's firing.

"Peter Nickles' expertise in litigation is going to greatly benefit residents of the District of Columbia in our handgun case pending before the Supreme Court," Fenty said. "It is important that he move quickly to build a team and a strategy to maximize our chances of winning this important case."

But David C. Vladeck, a professor at Georgetown University Law School, said Morrison's departure would be a major blow to the case.

"This is a case that requires an unusual amount of preparation because one of the issues comes back to, 'What did those folks who wrote the Bill of Rights really mean when they wrote the Second Amendment?' " said Vladeck, who is friends with Morrison. "In addition to needing a good lawyer and appellate advocate, you need someone who has immersed himself in very complex historical sources. Alan has been doing that for two or three months by now. Whoever takes over this case will start many, many, many laps behind where we ought to be."
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Hey, I'd be happy to be off of that case - you can't defend the indefensible...

I hope this hurts them, and hurts them badly. Nothing better than DC politicians screwing up their own backwards policies!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I hope SCOTUS hands down a decision that involves 'vaseline' use for DC...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Delaying tactic? Would such an attempt hold water?

BAC
    Actually, this worries me. This is one of the few things that might actually delay or even stop progress of this case from reaching the Supreme Court.

-B

I'm not all that worried about a delay.

I am worried that the replacement will be a more experienced and skilled advocate with excellent credentials as a scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

I am worried that the replacement will be a more experienced and skilled advocate with excellent credentials as a scholar.
    Me too.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Actually, this worries me. This is one of the few things that might actually delay or even stop progress of this case from reaching the Supreme Court.
    I would love for SCOTUS to tell them to pound sand.....they had plenty of time to prepare since they initiated the appeal.

Cowards.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

So what? All they are going to do is recycle the same arguments....it's a collective right...belongs to the States to have their Nat'l Guard....not an individual right....D.C. is not a state (oh, forget the fact they WANT to be a state....hypocrites), yadda, yadda, yadda....

Shy of that, they will use emotion of VA Tech, shootings in FL, MD, and D.C., etc. We know what they are going to do....it's just a matter of time.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sponsored Links