District Attorneys across the US wants to extend DC BAN

This is a discussion on District Attorneys across the US wants to extend DC BAN within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; District attorneys nationwide ask Supreme Court to keep gun ban -- Newsday.com District attorneys nationwide ask Supreme Court to keep gun ban By SAMUEL MAULL ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: District Attorneys across the US wants to extend DC BAN

Exclamation District Attorneys across the US wants to extend DC BAN

District attorneys nationwide ask Supreme Court to keep gun ban -- Newsday.com

District attorneys nationwide ask Supreme Court to keep gun ban

By SAMUEL MAULL | Associated Press Writer
    6:43 PM EST, January 11, 2008

NEW YORK - Prosecutors from across the country, afraid that an upcoming U.S. Supreme Court ruling could erode state gun laws, on Friday asked the high court to uphold a ban on unlicensed handguns.

The district attorneys, from 18 jurisdictions, weighed in on case in which justices will decide whether the Constitution's Second Amendment bars a conviction under tough Washington, D.C. handgun laws. The prosecutors say a ruling against the ban could impair law enforcement and jeopardize public safety.

The case stems from the conviction of Dic k Heller, a 65-year-old security guard who had a permit to carry a handgun at work but was denied a license to keep one at his home in what had been a high crime neighborhood. He kept one anyway

The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed his conviction, saying the city's 31-year-old law against buying, selling or owning an unlicensed handgun was overly broad and offended the Second Amendment's right "to keep and bear arms."

The prosecutors, led by district attorneys Robert M. Morgenthau of New York County and Kamala D. Harris of San Francisco, say they worry that what applies in Washington might have an impact on their communities.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Dwyer, head of Morgenthau's appeals bureau, said the high court's review of the Second Amendment will be its first since 1939.

"We would like for the court to reverse the D.C. circuit," Dwyer said, "for them to say there is no individual right to possess a gun, that it (the Second Amendment) enables states to arm militias."

"We hope they don't say anyone can have a gun anytime he wants," Dwyer said.

The prosecutors submitted the papers as a friend-of-the-court brief, filed by parties who are not part of the case but who have an interest in its outcome. The district attorneys, who represent a total of more than 25 million people, come from jurisdictions that include New York, San Francisco, Boston, Dallas, Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, San Diego, Oakland and Atlanta.

2. Remove Ads

Since when have they been inundated with law abiding gun owners causing them trouble?

Nor did those people in DC want anything more than to protect themselves. And had a right to do so taken away and now restored.

Are they really wanting to say that gun laws already on the books keeping guns out of the hands of criminals don't exist? They act as if they do not. Who's job is it to enforce those anyway? Theirs! Are they able too? Are they admitting that such laws do no good? If so then why do they think a constitutional ban would do any good? How good of a job can we expect them to do when the law abiding give them up if they can't keep them out of the hands of the law breakers now? Nonsense. Doesn't even pass the first level of logical.

Yea.. lets become a police state. Lets let Prosecutors from a few states reinvent the Constitution. I am sure they are smarter than our founding fathers. *Sarcasm*

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    As most of us have said before,what laws do criminals obey?Laws only affect law abiding people,most of the time.Criminals only care about a law they can use in their defense if they are caught.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Lets let Prosecutors from a few states reinvent the Constitution.
    They aren't even representatives of their respective states, just some big cities.

I just threw up. What a ridiculous place to live.
    If death is what we fear, our freedoms were never realized.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The district attorneys, who represent a total of more than 25 million people
    Question is what are they representing them for? Divorce, theft, property taxes, what? I doubt it's only about the guns.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

friend of the court brief????????
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    This from the guys in charge of negotiating plea agreements with reduced sentences to avoid trials. Let a thug negotiate a 6 month sentence for armed robbery and seek the maximum for a gun law violation.

I know many hate defense attorneys but they are doing their and I trust them more than I do prosecutors.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

What a joke that they represent 25 million Americans. To be more precise, I'd say they represent the interests of 5 million criminals.

Don't know the feasability of it but it'd be nice to have a 'Friend of the Court Brief' template that gunowners could fill out so that we could inundate the SCOTUS with a million 'briefs'. Letters would be better than nothing though.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

currently looking for one. maybe i can have the EFF e-mail me a template to post here.

i found the rules for amicus curiae here: Definition: Amicus Curiae.
    still looking for a request template
    Last edited by bobcat35; January 12th, 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: found more info
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

DA's across the country...

New York, and Cali...no surprises there, but is that all?
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

District Attorneys across the US wants to extend DC BAN
    What do the citizens across the country get, in exchange? Would it be the good feeling of adding to the depth of the cesspool that Washington, DC, has become? Or, perhaps the high-and-mighty thought that since "guns are bad" then continued deprivation of innocent victims of their ability to defend themselves is a small price to pay?

Einstein was right. Infinitely so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    You'll notice that when you go on the Supreme Court web site there is absolutely no place on there for the "Ordinary American Citizen" to post a message to the High Court.
    They don't want to hear from us.
    They are too busy getting old, senile, white haired and wrinkled to be bothered reading anything about what we think on any legal issues.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    currently looking for one. maybe i can have the EFF e-mail me a template to post here.

i found the rules for amicus curiae here: Definition: Amicus Curiae.
    still looking for a request template
    If you don't already know how to write at this level, you shouldn't be doing it.

This case is for all the marbles. Let the pro's handle it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links