If you wrote the 2A

This is a discussion on If you wrote the 2A within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lets assume you were a founding father. Knowing what you know now, how would you word the 2nd so it is crystal clear to the ...

Thread: If you wrote the 2A

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

If you wrote the 2A

Lets assume you were a founding father. Knowing what you know now, how would you word the 2nd so it is crystal clear to the anti-gunners?

First I would be clear in the begining.

"The right of the individual person in any state or district to keep and bear arms of any kind up to and including military style arms, shall in no way be questioned or regulated. The right of the people to join and be part of a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state shall not be infringed".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Don't get me started on rewriting the Constitution knowing what we know now.

During a Supreme Court case, IIRC, Stephen Breyer, one of the more liberal judges, said that we do not know what the Founding Fathers intended. What an idiot. There are reams of documents of the Founding Fathers discussing the merits of each word in the Constitution.

The wording is very clear. There is no doubt about their intent, but certain people seem to want to obfuscate that.

To a certain extent, it does not matter what the Constitution says. If it is not interpreted that way, the people have no rights anyways. The former Soviet Union had one of the most human rights friendly Constitution on the planet, but no one obeys it.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

20/20 hindsight is great but I would not even propose I had the ability to re-write what our founding fathers who were the "Rocket Scientist" of their time took months to write. They did their research well for a real eye opener have a look at the Federalist papers.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    20/20 hindsight is great but I would not even propose I had the ability to re-write what our founding fathers who were the "Rocket Scientist" of their time took months to write. They did their research well for a real eye opener have a look at the Federalist papers.
    Indeed. In many respects, they had a far better mastery of the written and spoken word than a college educated adult today. In fact, a better mastery than most of my college professors.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Lets assume you were a founding father. Knowing what you know now, how would you word the 2nd so it is crystal clear to the anti-gunners?

First I would be clear in the begining.

"The right of the individual person in any state or district to keep and bear arms of any kind up to and including military style arms, shall in no way be questioned or regulated. The right of the people to join and be part of a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state shall not be infringed".

You have probably just wiped out the human race by allowing any junior high student that wants to build a A-Bomb for a science project and demonstrate it. Maybe not an A-Bomb but certaninly some napalm.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I figured someone would say that. There is also a cost to bigger weapons. I'm simply talking arms in general i.e. class 3 weapons, all semi-autos etc... Not tanks.

Here are the proposed texts of the Second Amendment before the current version.

Original Text proposed June 8, 1789
    quote:
    "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country; but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

Revision August 17th
    quote:
    "A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but no person religiously scrupulous shall be compelled to bear arms."

Revision August 24th
    quote:
    "A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."

Revision August 25th
    quote:
    "A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, being the best security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed, but no one religiously scrupulous of bearing arms, shall be compelled to render military service in person."

Revision September 4th (note that the conscientious objector clause has been dropped
    quote:

Final version passed to the Senate September 9th
    quote:

September 21 the House voted to accept the changes made by the Senate (adding "necessary to")
    quote:

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have a friend who is a 1776 era fanatic. Now I see why.

Thanks for the history lesson.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    September 21 the House voted to accept the changes made by the Senate (adding "necessary to")
    quote:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's important because with two commas, the first clause becomes a non-essential element. With three it becomes a series of clauses, although modern controversy generated by Liberals would have you believe that you can have two non-essential elements in the same sentence.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

O.K., I'll try my hand at this:
    "All Americans have the God given right to keep and bear arms and own as many firearms as they desire to carry in their homes, on their persons (concealed or otherwise - their choice), in or on their mode of travel at all times and in any location within the borders of the United States of America. Government at any level, local, state, or Federal, cannot enact any law in any manner that would ursurp these God given rights to all Americans. Any person who has served a period of time as a felon shall upon completion of sentence have the right to own a firearm re-established except if the felony was committed with a firearm or for the murder of any child with or without a firearm." I'm sure I've forgot something.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Except upon individual Warrant supported by Oath or affirmation, the right of the Citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Except upon individual Warrant supported by Oath or affirmation, the right of the Citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Oooo... Judges issue warrants. You must not be familiar with Pacific Northwest Judges. Most of them would issue a warrant to seize a pen if they thought it'd hurt a butterfly. We'd be toast up here.

Links