Should private gun sales be subject to background checks? [POLL]

This is a discussion on Should private gun sales be subject to background checks? [POLL] within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I voted 'No' because we don't need any more government intrusion. On the flip-side, if I don't know you as well as I know myself, ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should private gun sales be subject to background checks? [POLL]

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    I voted 'No' because we don't need any more government intrusion. On the flip-side, if I don't know you as well as I know myself, then I'm not going to sell you a firearm. Even if it costs me a little cash, I'll work through a 3rd party who is already required to run a check and take the legal responsibilities.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

2. Remove Ads

MTNfreak,

Your statement with qualifier equates to an answer as applied to this poll of 'Yes'.
    I feel the exact same way and would not sell a gun to a person strange to me without a 3rd party FFL to provide me piece of mind as well as insulation from future woe at the criminal or civil court level if on the off chance the buyer turns out to be named Cho Seung-Hui.
    People I know very well though and who I can and would vouch for personally toward mentality long term and having a lack of criminal history I can count on one hand. And with that as posited by the poll I did vote yes just as your own personal statement of operation also implies.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

yes, although I hate gov't getting involved in things, as long as there are no records requiring 'registration', neither private seller or buyer should have a problem with a background check. If I am selling a gun to somebody that doesn't want a background check done, then I need to find somebody else to sell it to. But really, I can't even imagine myself in this situation...Sell one of my guns...That's just crazy talk.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    To no one in particular...

Not only NO but heck NO.

Its a private transaction. The federal government has NO business regulating private transactions of merchandise, and anybody that vots YES it allowing the camel to get his nose into the tent. Give the feds and inch and they will take a mile.

Looks like we need some thought modification here. This YES mentality is exactly the reason that we gunowners keep getting our tails slapped into the dirt with stupid and worthless items of gun control, like the Brady Bill or the so called limitations on assault rifles that certain communist members of Congress have made it their lifelong ambition to pass.

I dont know why some people dont understand that laws only affect those that choose to abide by them....while scuzballs laugh at people that actually think that the law means something to them.

The goods guys say, I dont have anything to fear...cause I'm a good guy, but they are the first ones to squall like mashed cats when they have to pay a 20,30,40 or 50 dollar fee because they voted for backgound checks on private transactions. You so called do gooders get everything you deserve, and the heck of it is that your shortsighteness will cost me too.

With "friends" like that...who needs enemies?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think it should be OPTION, not mandated by the gov't.

Give me a Bill of sale and we'll call it even.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Not only NO but heck NO.

Exactly!
    Let me be responsible for my own transaction! I do not need anyone looking over my shoulder!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I voted NO on principle, but that being said, I think if the government would like to make them FREE to the public, I would do them.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I voted NO on principle, but that being said, I think if the government would like to make them FREE to the public, I would do them.
    Why would they do that?

They REQUIRE background checks and fingerprints for Concealed Weapons permits...but WE have to pay.

Its a cash cow. It aint right, but thats the way it is.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Give me a Bill of sale and we'll call it even.
    Sig,

Isn't a BoS a default norm?

Who would sell a firearm without documenting it via a BoS, aside from of course criminals with criminal intent.
    Not to do that at collecting the buyers full name and address at a minimum would be awfully trusting if not outright foolish in todays times.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

56% no
    42% yes
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Senior Moderator
    Who would sell a firearm without documenting it via a BoS, aside from of course criminals with criminal intent.
    You must be in a different part of the world than I am. I have bought and sold 100's of guns in my lifetime and not had one bill of sale. No one I have ever bought or sold from has so much as even mentioned one.

I guess we're all criminals with criminal intent.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I guess we're all criminals with criminal intent.
    Yes, I am in a different part of the world.

As to sale how does a person you've bought from pass on your info to the ATF or FBI or state/local PD when they come knocking asking about X, Y, or Z firearm they are federally registered as having purchased in XX year and has now been traced to a crime?
    Do they say yeah well I sold that gun like 3 yrs. ago to this fella he seemed like a good guy at the time.
    What's his name? Where does he live? Hmm....
    I don't recall...

For protection of ones own self it's reasonable to draw up a BoS and record the buyers name, phone, and home address as well as age too if he/she looks to be anywhere near 21ish.
    Myself I've only sold one gun ever and it was F2F to someone I know very well. Even still I collected her info and still have it filed away. That was in June of '96.

- Janq

Bob's Auto Barn doesn't know if I'm there to purchase a car for the purposes of running down a dozen children in the school crosswalk across town ... or to replace the junker that just died and left the family without transportation.

Jeannie's Liquors doesn't know if I'm there to purchase a fifth of Stoli for the purposes of going on a drunken rampage in the town square ... or to simply stock up prior to this weekend's party with friends.

Tom's Firearms doesn't know if I'm there to purchase a gun to kill my best friend, commit suicide ... or to simply have the ability to defend myself.

Candy's Bookstore doesn't know if I'm there to purchase a book to learn how to build a bomb, start a revolution ... or to simply get prepared for my upcoming semester at XYZ U. (Yeah, I know it's hard to tell the difference, at times.)

In the end, if you kill a dozen children in the crosswalk, drunkenly break every window in the downtown district, shoot up the picnics at the park or build a bomb and plant it at the local church, then your criminal actions show your intent. In which case, you're rightfully held as criminal and outlaw. But it's hardly the responsibility of Bob, Jeannie, Tom and Candy to deny you such products because someone's fearful of the possible dual use of such items. And the time of purchase is hardly the time to know such things, as "purchase" is inherently not a criminal act.

Transportation, lubrication, self-defense, the three R's. IMO, in a land of a free people with liberty as the goal, the acquisition of any one of these products is nowhere near as risky as the denial of access to them.

My short answer is, obviously: No, checks should not be required. If one wants to do it, great, but one should not, IMO, be forced on pain of criminal charges to do so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I voted NO and it was running Yes 41% No 57%

If the question was posed by anybody in this board, the answer might be different. But since it was posed by a MSM member, my answer is NO and HELL NO. Let me illustrate my reasoning:

Hillary Clinton today asked the question: Should one-on-one gun sales between citizens be subject to background checks?
    or

Betty and Lima today asked the question: Should one-on-one gun sales between citizens be subject to background checks?
    It is not the question but who asks it and what are the intentions behind it.

And then comes that little word: subject which according to Merriam Webster is one that is placed under authority or control

Pardon me for being a tad paranoid but again NO and HELL NO
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I do not question the issue of a "Mandated" background check! I do not like or would want it either. I would not just sell a gun to a unknown party without some sort of knowledge as well. Here in Minnesota I can go to the BCA website and with a Name and DOB I can have a Record in 30sec. free of charge. I just believe unfortunately on a grand scale people would not be as cautious about their sale of a gun and therefore ruins the rest of us who care about who gets their hands on what. I am probably rambling but having a background check can have no relevance to a purchase of a gun. It can be a just a check ( I mean this from a registration standpoint). But, like I said earlier I would rather have one to CYA if you will....
    On a Side note: I enjoy reading and discussing everyones opinions in a civil & sensible manner even in disagreement.. Not many places you can do that anymore withoout a major battle!!!

Mike

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links