Should private gun sales be subject to background checks? [POLL]

This is a discussion on Should private gun sales be subject to background checks? [POLL] within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As for me, while I don't want to make gun dealers rich off of the process,I think that no firearms sale should require a background ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should private gun sales be subject to background checks? [POLL]

Senior Moderator
    As for me, while I don't want to make gun dealers rich off of the process,I think that no firearms sale should require a background check,and there should be no paper trail for either a buy or a transfer.

Background checks are a fairly new thing. This country of ours survived for over 180 years without them. The background check tells me that I am guilty of something until the mighty government tells me I am not by passing a background check.

The crack babies and gang bangers that are doing most of the killing....how many of them do you suppose passed a background check?
    NONE of them did...how long do you suppose that prevented them from getting a gun? Not very long.

Background checks are another feel good measure that Liberals like to tout as being the answer to all crimes. Other folks, without the ability to think for themselves blindly do whatever they are told to do and think only what they are told is OK to think and they think that background checks are the cats meow.

Background checks are also in effect registration of all firearms. For you non thinkers out there in cyberspace, where do you suppose the figures come from when the some flaming communist in government spouts of the number of transactions that were voided because those people didn't pass a background check? They thump their chests and tell us how well the system works and how society was saved because x number of firearms purchases were denied

They say that x number of pistols were bought, and x number of "assault" rifles were bought in this time frame. Somewhere this information is kept on file, and guess who has access to it? The good ole boys in the Federal government, thats who. Somewhere it is on a computer, and if you ever bought a firearm, your name,address,date of birth,and social security number is right there along with the serial number of the gun.

Registration? We don't need it cause we've already got it.

What amazes most me are the ones that scream the loudest about registration of firearms, yet think that background checks aren't and are OK.

Someday everyone will figure it out.

Then it'll be too late.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Well said Hotguns. I can only hope more people realize it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Purchase one firearm with registration and “big brother” knows you have a gun, and have a CCL, well it’s a given. While I agree with you HOTGUNS on the fact we need less federal involvement, the fact is, just like you said our Government already has records on any of us who legally own firearms.

When you fill out a 4473 at your local gun shop, it stays at the local gun store, and if some LEO wants to know who owns that firearm, they have to contact the manufacture, who then points them to the firearm dealer. Who then pulls the 4473.

The problem is like any other business most gun shops go out of business within 5-years. And when they do, they are required to turn in all the 4473s to the BATF.

Our countries founding fathers instilled upon this country basic core beliefs, which includes freedom of speech, religion, press, and the right of ever law abiding citizen to own a firearm. For the Feds to take away one of those basic rights, would mean the end of our way of life as we know it and me and allot of other people moving.

So if background checks make it just a little bit harder for a crack heads to get a hold of a pistol, I’m all for it. Sure they will still find a way, to get a hold of one, but hopefully it will be very expensive “Saturday night special” from the trunk of a BG car instead of a quality used pistol readily available at a gun show with no background check required.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Our countries founding fathers instilled upon this country basic core beliefs, which includes freedom of speech, religion, press, and the right of ever law abiding citizen to own a firearm. For the Feds to take away one of those basic rights, would mean the end of our way of life as we know it and me and allot of other people moving.

So if background checks make it just a little bit harder for a crack heads to get a hold of a pistol, I’m all for it. Sure they will still find a way, to get a hold of one, but hopefully it will be very expensive “Saturday night special” from the trunk of a BG car instead of a quality used pistol readily available at a gun show with no background check required.
    When you have to ask permission to be found innocent to purchase a firearm, it's not a right anymore, but a priviledge. I found your post to be rather contradictory.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

As of today,
    34% yes
    64% no
    2% undecided

Purchase one firearm with registration and “big brother” knows you have a gun, and have a CCL, well it’s a given. While I agree with you HOTGUNS on the fact we need less federal involvement, the fact is, just like you said our Government already has records on any of us who legally own firearms.
    Ah yes, but that's the beauty of private sale...Look, I'm not advocating lying, but lets be realistic. Sure they may have the records of who bought what... Lets say they even come to confiscate them at the doorstep some day... "Ok....fine officer here they are". They know nothing of those private sale firearms that happen to be hidden all over tarnation.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Gotta Vote NO!!!!

No-64%, Yes-34%, Undecided-2%.

You got to vote no on this. Background checks create paperwork, which is documentation, that can turn into registration, which can become gun lists. These gun lists in the hands of Slick Hilly or Borat Obama could turn us all into Australians in a heartbeat. You know the Dem's would love to use that Aussie model on us. They'd love to redefine that pesky second amendment in our "living & breathing Constitution". Boy, you gotta love those "progressives", eh?

Hilly and Borat in '08.

Oh yeah, don't forget Edwards. I think a "slip and fall" attorney would make a great Attorney General.

When the brown shirts of Germany went collecting guns in the 1930’s they did not knock at your door and ask for them. They searched the house.

While I don’t believe that could/would ever happen in this country, I for one would no longer want to live in a country that would do such a thing, and when they get to my house, they’ll find a for sale sign, and no long living there.

Senior Moderator
    Do you really think that its that easy ?

My grandparents told me of tales of citizens being apprehended in Germany. They didnt think it would happen there either. When the Jews were being rounded up and put into camps, do you think that they thought for a second that they would be executed? They were told they were being rounded up and placed into camps for their "safety".

It sounds pretty macho...moving to another place, a better place. Fact of the matter is, there is no better place. We are the last bastion of freedom, what little we have left that is. Leaving this country to go to another taking a step down,not up.

And yes...it could happen here. People that dont think it can are precisely the reason that it can happen.

There is an old Chinese proverb that says, "when its time to bury your weapons, it time to use them".
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

And yes...it could happen here. People that dont think it can are precisely the reason that it can happen.
    Example: The Japanese Internment camps during WII

There is an old Chinese proverb that says, "when its time to bury your weapons, it time to use them".
    Have enough to do both I'd say!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Is the records check in accordance with the SECOND Amendment ?

No.

Thus ends the need for the records check.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Well said Hotguns. I can only hope more people realize it.
    Nope...the more backround checks the better...never convince me...but then again, I have nothing to hide. I actually think this is one avenue to protect 2A as the anti's seize opportunites to limit.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by semlak0316 View Post
    If a Background Check would clear me of Liability, Then how is that a bad thing???Even if I sell a gun to a good friend and something happens then I am possibly accountable in some way or it is "percieved" that I am accountable in some way? I guess I would not have a problem with a Background check. What if I am the buyer? If I am legal to own a Gun, Do I care about a Background check??
    Mike
    Would make more sense to get a background check on anyone you sell a car to. As that car is far more likely to cause injury to another than a any firearm.
    Voted NO
    will always vote
    NO to permits
    NO to license
    NO to certification
    NO to authorization
    NO to registration
    The Bill of Rights merely protects my God given right. God granted me the right and obligation to defend my life and the life of my fellows. The goverment did not "grant" me that right, so the goverment has no say. Or rather should not.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

When the brown shirts of Germany went collecting guns in the 1930’s they did not knock at your door and ask for them. They searched the house.
    While I don’t believe that could/would ever happen in this country,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Example: The Japanese Internment camps during WII
    Have enough to do both I'd say!
    My Grandpa refused to go. Said he had rights, he was not a traitor. So he did not go. They shot him 18 times instead.
    Let us not forget Katrina and California using SWAT to kick down the doors of anyone who did not turn in their high caps and "assault rifles"
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Do you really think that its that easy ?

My grandparents told me of tales of citizens being apprehended in Germany. They didnt think it would happen there either. When the Jews were being rounded up and put into camps, do you think that they thought for a second that they would be executed? They were told they were being rounded up and placed into camps for their "safety".

It sounds pretty macho...moving to another place, a better place. Fact of the matter is, there is no better place. We are the last bastion of freedom, what little we have left that is. Leaving this country to go to another taking a step down,not up.

You’re correct, in that the USA is the best country in the world. Hands down winner by a long shot, and I pray that in my lifetime our rights will never be assaulted.

If the 2nd should ever fall, it will be a process that will take place over time. They will use statements like Germany did “it’s for your protection”, when they start a required firearm registration. Would I move then… NO, but if they should ever start a mandatory surrender of all firearms you’ll find me with passport in hand headed someplace else.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links