Different way of attacking May-issue states

This is a discussion on Different way of attacking May-issue states within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought about this the other day, part of the problem w/NJ and MD is when you apply for a CCW is they don't refund ...

Thread: Different way of attacking May-issue states

Question Different way of attacking May-issue states

I thought about this the other day, part of the problem w/NJ and MD is when you apply for a CCW is they don't refund the application fees, even if you don't get the permit. That'll discourage anyone to even try. If they had to give your money back, then they'd be spending time running backgrounds,exc. just to say "NO," and then they'd have wasted time and taxpayer money for nothing. If you don't lose anything by trying then more people would try.
    I think if this happened, you could conceivably overrun the departments with so many applications they'd HAVE to start issuing or it could be a big drain on the departments resources. I think it would be easier to change this than to flip the state overnight into a "shall-issue," state.
    What do you guys think?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

2. Remove Ads

sure, but that would never happen
    its the government, they just want your money remember?
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Lead Moderator
    I would have to agree with friesepferd. If you can get the laws changed, just make it a shall issue state.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Dont give them your money

save it to move out from that corrupt state

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    That's assuming of course that they even BOTHER with the background check. I'd be willing to bet they get applications in, sit on them for a week, then just send a denial letter.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

But wouldn't it be easier to pass legislation (or regulation) stating since the whole process is totally subjective,that you should not forfeit money. Also in regards to them simply filing your paperwork in the trash, and not running a background check,isn't there a way for a person to find out if their background has been run recently,and by whom? That way you could call them on it if they just try to tell you no without doing a thing.Correct me if I'm wrong but if you go to the DMV for a driver's license and fail the test then you don't pay?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I'm from a SHALL issue state. I they told me before I applied that the
    fee was not refundable. They told me that I was paying to cover the costs of the background check.
    That said I do agree that something should be done about allowing the government to decide which of my constitutional rights i'm allowed to use.

Michael

Another question is. How many of the "shall issue" states actually run a background check. My guess they reject without running a check.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Another question is. How many of the "shall issue" states actually run a background check. My guess they reject without running a check.
    All states that issue concealed weapons permits, whether "shall issue" or "may issue" do so only after the applicant has passed a background investigation. So yes, they actually "run" a background check.

Your second statement has no basis in fact, except maybe in New Jersey.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

But gun stores don't charge extra for background checks. Why does the state tell you they need $$ for a check. Don't they have computers?
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    All states that issue concealed weapons permits, whether "shall issue" or "may issue" do so only after the applicant has passed a background investigation. So yes, they actually "run" a background check.

Your second statement has no basis in fact, except maybe in New Jersey.
    My lovely state of NJ....

Links