Concealed Weapons Permit Holders Stats

This is a discussion on Concealed Weapons Permit Holders Stats within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone know anywhere to find the number of Concealed Weapons Permit Holders by state or county and year. I have tried several sites and google ...

Anyone know anywhere to find the number of Concealed Weapons Permit Holders by state or county and year. I have tried several sites and google searches with no results. I would especially like to find the stats on Seattle Wa
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

You won't be able to assemble meaningful data by city, only by county. The issuing authority is shared by both County and local City, and you can receive your permit from either. I also believe that permit holder names and addresses are protected in WA, so a FOIA request may be met with extreme resistance.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I agree with Matiki, the information in most instances is protected and should be unavailable. This is not the case for all states, however, and is why newspapers can obtain the information in a very few instances.

I'm sure the BG's would like to do a Google search on this data too - thankfully they won't find anything.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    It would be nice if they gave out statistics. Such as, the total number of CHLs applied for, CHLs granted, total population for that region, male or female stats would be nice as well. None of that information would be damaging, and could be useful to determine things like percentage of CHLs in a given area, correlation to crime rates, how bad some areas are on granting CHLs, etc..

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

It looks like I was unclear. I was asking if anyone knows of a website that gives the total numbers of permit holders of a given year, in different cities or counties in Washington state as in

2001 there were X number of concealed weapons permit holders in Seattle
    2002 there were X number of concealed weapons permit holders in Seattle

2001 there were X number of concealed weapons permit holders in Spokane
    2002 there were X number of concealed weapons permit holders in Spokane

Ideally I would like to be able to go back as far as 1975 which I believe is when Washington enacted it's concealed weapons law. Like what SelfDefense provided,

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Like this except for Washington

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    None of that information would be damaging, and could be useful to determine things like percentage of CHLs in a given area, correlation to crime rates, how bad some areas are on granting CHLs, etc..
    Exactly,

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    It looks like I was unclear. I was asking if anyone knows of a website that gives the total numbers of permit holders of a given year, in different cities or counties in Washington state as in

2001 there were X number of concealed weapons permit holders in Seattle
    2002 there were X number of concealed weapons permit holders in Seattle

2001 there were X number of concealed weapons permit holders in Spokane
    2002 there were X number of concealed weapons permit holders in Spokane

Ideally I would like to be able to go back as far as 1975 which I believe is when Washington enacted it's concealed weapons law. Like what SelfDefense provided,

Like this except for Washington

Exactly,
    The answer is no.

See my original response.

You can get information from the city, but it won't include the county. You can get information from the county but it won't tell you who is from Seattle.

To do what you want you need addresses. Said addresses are not available via FOIA.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

cant help ya in washington, but here in mich. the state police have a website
    with all the stats for each county. maybe you could try your state police.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Here is a page to get this information and more on Texas

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

Active License Holders: 288,909
    Certified Instructors: 1,639
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    The answer is no.
    See my original response.
    You can get information from the city, but it won't include the county. You can get information from the county but it won't tell you who is from Seattle.
    To do what you want you need addresses. Said addresses are not available via FOIA.
    Sorry about the miscommunication that is not what I need at all. Thanks for the input. As I said what I need is what like what SelfDefense and the below have found & posted

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Here is a page to get this information and more on Texas
    Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection
    Active License Holders: 288,909
    Certified Instructors: 1,639
    Perfect just what I need found a link for CCW demographics back to 02 excellent. Why Washington does not have this is beyond me
    Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    cant help ya in washington, but here in mich. the state police have a website
    with all the stats for each county. maybe you could try your state police.
    Do you have a link or should I just Google Mich. State police? Thanks. Still looking for Washington but other state is helpful as well

EDIT" Found Michigan State Police Firearms information page here
    Last edited by LongRider; January 26th, 2008 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Found Michigan State Police Firearms information

I'm sorry, but they don't exist because the state doesn't collect the data that way. Furthermore, the data they do collect is protected from FOIA so no one, private citizen, press, etc. can go through it and create the type of report you are looking for.

I agree it'd be really nice to have. But Washington has always been this way as it is simply a very strict interpretation of the national law (a portion of which is below). The law here is very restrictive in terms of what you can get:

Section 9 Exemptions

(a) 5 U.S.C. 552 exempts from all of its publication and disclosure requirements nine categories of records, described in paragraph (b) of that section. These categories include such matters as national defense and foreign policy information; investigatory records; internal procedures and communications; materials exempted from disclosure by other statutes; confidential, commercial, and financial information; and matters involving personal privacy. (b) The exemptions in 5 U.S.C. 552(b) will be applied consistent with Section 1 of this policy. (c) Any reasonably segregable non-exempt portion of a record will be provided to a requester. The Council will delete portions that are withholdable under the exemptions referred to above.
    Emphasis added.

Here's a link that should help if you're interested in finding out more:
    Northwest Council

Links