Defensive Carry banner

Political - Mike Huckabee to General Spitzer

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Ram Rod 
#1 ·
#3 ·
That said, the Second Amendment isn't about hunting. At all. That's part of my problem with Huckabee advertising himself as 2A-friendly just because he hunts. Just another one of those things that rubs me wrong, seeing as how the majority of gun owners are not hunters.

(Look, I made it a 2A thread! :biggrin2:)

-B

#4 ·
Quite the contrary, BAC,

Mike Huckabee has said in interviews almost word for word your sentiment concerning the second amendment. The only thing that I've seen from him that indicated otherwise was the Huck and Chuck commercial. That being said, here's the video's of his position on the second amendment.

YouTube - Mike Huckabee on the Second amendment

YouTube - Huckabee on the Second Amendment

YouTube - Huckabee on CNN: Second Amendment

So to recap Huck's position on the 2nd amendment, he believes:
-The second amendment isn't just about hunting, that it's about freedom, protecting ourselves, our family, and in extreme cases tackling a tyrannical government.
-He gets mad when people claim to be pro 2A because they hunt.
-He was the first governor in the United States to have a license to carry a handgun.
-He knows that the freedoms enumerated in the bill of rights are defended by supporting firearm ownership, and limiting governmental control.

That being said, I'm not making a political endorsement for Mike Huckabee, I'm just trying to make sure that the record be set straight.

Also, if anyone has videos, quotes, or voting records that prove contrary to my findings, I would love to be informed.

#6 ·
He was the first governor in the United States to have a license to carry a handgun.
I thought Governor Richardson of New Mexico was the first, I could be mistaken but I thought he was the first

#7 ·
Nope, I have heard everything ellerblr said above from several different places. He is very pro 2A, concealed carry permit holder, a hunter and really has been a member of the NRA for quite a long time. Not one that just joins before an election....

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mike is right. Concerning the second amendment? We'll either take two steps forward, or three back. It's all up to the American public.

#10 ·
Let me repeat myself a moment: my problem is with Huckabee advertising himself as 2A-friendly just because he hunts. What "pro-2A" picture does he advertise where he's a normally-dressed, average person? Like the ones who are the majority of gun owners? Why, if he believes as he does that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting, does he keep associating it visually with hunting?

You misunderstand me. When a politician tells me they're for or against something, their words mean next to nothing to me except as a note of their proposed integrity (judging by what they've said in the past). What does his voting record indicate? Has he tried to pro-actively help gun owners, or has he simply "voted no" on new legislation? What does his having a concealed-carry license have to do with anything? Has anyone thought it could have been a political move? Even if it's not, should we be required to have a license to carry? A lot of folks here think we shouldn't, and in that point of view Huckabee is just another one going with the flow.

I'm generally critical of politicians, and for the most part agree with rstickle. He might talk nice about the Second Amendment, but so have a lot of past candidates and presidents. Huckabee's website doesn't have a voting record, nor does "Project Vote Smart". Anyone mind helping out with a voting record?

-B

#11 ·
Why, if he believes as he does that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting, does he keep associating it visually with hunting?
Yeah--I see your issue there. In my opinion--if it works to sway the general public (something they can swallow more easily) toward being more second amendment friendly then that's the way it should continue to go over. I think most of the sheep out there can more closely relate to the hunting scenario as opposed to you and I carrying guns on the streets. You've realized the tactics used by the antis, maybe us pros could use some tactics of our own? Sneaky tactics or whatever it takes to get the support needed. Get what I'm saying. If the previously mentioned candidate associates certain issues in a different manner than what you think should be, there might be a good reason. Good, honest, down to earth politicians also need to be tactful. It's the American public that's receiving the message-----you and I know the underlying causes here, and the direction we need to go. Don't blow our cover, or expose our tactics.

#12 ·
I have watched Huckabee since the he was voted in Lt. Governor and had his office placed in a closet by then openly hostile Jim Guy Tucker, one of the most crooked and vile governors to ever be placed into authority.

It was thought at that time that he would never be more than a figurehead that had little to no effect on local politics.

Someone forgot to tell that to Huckabee though. After Jim Guy was indicted on federal charges for various crimes, Huckabee became the gov. by default...and the rest is history.

Huckabee has always been a avid shooter and hunter. His stances on the second amendment have not changed. His beliefs on the issues are not "new" like most politicians assume in order to get votes, in fact, in his tenure as Governor of Arkansas, he has endured much ridicule from the Democrats and the news media for his stand on the issues.

He has been a friend to gun owners in Arkansas, and on more than one occasion actively supported the streamlining of the CHL's and even going so far as to recommend that any and everyone take responsibility for their own protection and get one.

Although I have never personally hunted with him, one of my duck hunting buddies was on his Cabinet and they would go duck hunting in the fall and winter and turkey hunting in the spring. His wife was featured on several TV stations shooting an MP5 at the police range in Little Rock. She caught some flack for that from the timid folks, but it didn't keep her from doing it again.

I believe that he is the real deal when it comes to the Second Amendment. Although he realizes that many people in high places do not share his views, thus far it hasn't seemed to hinder him or make him change his stance.

Although I do not agree with all that he does, I do think that he is the best thing for gun owners going. While others give the Second Amendment nothing more than lip service to get votes, he lives it and has been for quite some time.

Thats my 2 cents on the issue.

#13 ·
I believe Huckabee is pro 2A regardless of whether he comes across promoting hunting or self defense. Is either one stipulated in the 2A, no. If you think that he people at the time the 2A was adopted didn't use their guns for hunting more than for self defense, I believe your sadly mistaken. Guns were and are tools for several purposes, not simply self defense or held for a rebellion against a government out of control, or for hunting. They are tools for all the mentioned purposes and whatever else you choose to do with them legally.

I believe that Huckabee has shown by his voting record and personal record to be a supporter of the 2A. I don't care if he chooses to promote it through him being dressed as a hunter or dressed in full 5.11 tactical dress with one of those scary black rifles. I do feel that the latter of the two would do him a disservice. Kinda like Duccas riding in the tank or howitzer or whatever he was made a fool of in.

Image is key in many instances. What do people on this forum think about folks dressed like gang banger wanna bees. To many Huckabee would look like a fool dressed in tactical gear.

#14 ·
When choosing a candidate my biggest platform issue is 2A. Everything else is window dressing, although I do prefer some window dressings to others.

I am personally a Libertarian; however I am unable to find a Libertarian candidate this year that I like well enough to stand behind.

My current choice is Ron Paul, second choice is Mike Huckabee. The rest are garbage. This will be the first year I ever supported someone who was not a Libertarian.

Here is a no Bull Cr@p site that spells out each candidate’s platform. I recommend it to everyone, despite your political affiliation.

OnTheIssues.org - Candidates on the Issues

#15 ·
So he associates 2A with hunting. I'd consider that in the ballpark if not exactly a home run. Other than that, what's he supposed to do, physically, tote a 45 on his hip for everybody to see?

I guess he could go to a gun show or try some target practice, but I won't hold it against him if he doesn't. I think Thompson's visit to a gun show worked both ways. Good to show you're on the team, but alienating to the masses. Whatever...

#16 ·
So he associates 2A with hunting. I'd consider that in the ballpark if not exactly a home run. Other than that, what's he supposed to do, physically, tote a 45 on his hip for everybody to see?

I guess he could go to a gun show or try some target practice, but I won't hold it against him if he doesn't. I think Thompson's visit to a gun show worked both ways. Good to show you're on the team, but alienating to the masses. Whatever...
Huckabee carries a gun and has an Ar.Permit. He has made it easier for us here in Arkanasas to carry and has even publicly advocated it.

I dont know what else that he could do to get the point across that he is Pro Second Amendment ?

#17 ·
All of my questions still stand, as none have been directly answered.

Look, I'm not "out to get" the guy. I put every politician I study through the ringer before I support them, and one of the most important issues for me is how a politician feels about the Second Amendment and what they plan to do to protect and uphold it. Does anyone here have a link to his voting record? Heck, neither the NRA and OnTheIssues.org have much information on Huckabee, and both are usually very good about having such information.

farronwolf, in the time when the Second Amendment was still new, hunting was never mentioned because the Constitution had nothing to do with how you put food on your table. Since the Constitution is a binding document for the government, not a document that grants allowance to the people, hunting is absolutely not what the Second Amendment is about. It is strictly a document that maintains the individual right of arms ownership for the purpose of maintaining an armed populace.

If you take one of his hunter-garb pictures, took that rifle or shotgun out of his hands, and replaced it with a bow, would it still have the same effect? If not, why?

No, if he wants to really win over the gun owners of the country, he should just look like him. Have pictures of himself and other average people, dressed and behaved like average people, because that is what comprises the largest body of those who possess arms in this country. That is the mistake the NRA has been making for so long, and why "hunter-friendly" politicians in the past have always been viewed with skeptical eyes, as well as why so many have come to view the NRA as "good enough".

HotGuns, thanks for sharing that. For what it's worth, though, I think Huckabee, Paul, and Richardson are all the most pro-gun-ownership in this year's race (the Democratic candidate having a surprisingly good record on the matter), but Richardson has dropped out and that leaves Huckabee and Paul left. Romney has a very public anti-gun history in his state, and flat said he'd sign another assault weapon ban into law in a heartbeat if it came to his desk. Giuliani’s had a very public anti-gun history in New York. McCain has already proven he does not support all of the Bill of Rights (the recent campaign finance reform propositions) and buys into the “gun show loophole” idea.

Gun owners have pretty slim pickings this campaign run.

-B

#19 ·
Gun owners have pretty slim pickings this campaign run.
Always have---always will. IMO, it's always been a selection of the 'lesser evil'. That being said, maybe it's time to look at the bigger picture and getting someone into office that the general public would support on all the issues, and look at someone's 'pro' outlook on the second amendment as a bonus? My gut instinct tells me Mike is right.
Do your own research---my fingers are tired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.