Political - Mike Huckabee to General Spitzer

This is a discussion on Political - Mike Huckabee to General Spitzer within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://mikehuckabeepresident2008.blo...-defender.html I hope this isn't a duplicate. If it is, please delete it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

http://mikehuckabeepresident2008.blo...-defender.html

I hope this isn't a duplicate. If it is, please delete it.

JD
    Administrator
    Let's keep it related to 2A, blatant political threads are a no-no

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Let's keep it related to 2A, blatant political threads are a no-no
    That said, the Second Amendment isn't about hunting. At all. That's part of my problem with Huckabee advertising himself as 2A-friendly just because he hunts. Just another one of those things that rubs me wrong, seeing as how the majority of gun owners are not hunters.

(Look, I made it a 2A thread! )

-B

Quite the contrary, BAC,

Mike Huckabee has said in interviews almost word for word your sentiment concerning the second amendment. The only thing that I've seen from him that indicated otherwise was the Huck and Chuck commercial. That being said, here's the video's of his position on the second amendment.

YouTube - Mike Huckabee on the Second amendment

YouTube - Huckabee on the Second Amendment

YouTube - Huckabee on CNN: Second Amendment

So to recap Huck's position on the 2nd amendment, he believes:
    -The second amendment isn't just about hunting, that it's about freedom, protecting ourselves, our family, and in extreme cases tackling a tyrannical government.
    -He gets mad when people claim to be pro 2A because they hunt.
    -He was the first governor in the United States to have a license to carry a handgun.
    -He knows that the freedoms enumerated in the bill of rights are defended by supporting firearm ownership, and limiting governmental control.

That being said, I'm not making a political endorsement for Mike Huckabee, I'm just trying to make sure that the record be set straight.

Also, if anyone has videos, quotes, or voting records that prove contrary to my findings, I would love to be informed.

I usually don't watch links, but this time I did...all three of them. Either he's a great liar, or I like him a lot! Everything he said makes perfect sense to me!

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ellerblr View Post
    He was the first governor in the United States to have a license to carry a handgun.
    I thought Governor Richardson of New Mexico was the first, I could be mistaken but I thought he was the first
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I usually don't watch links, but this time I did...all three of them. Either he's a great liar, or I like him a lot! Everything he said makes perfect sense to me!
    Nope, I have heard everything ellerblr said above from several different places. He is very pro 2A, concealed carry permit holder, a hunter and really has been a member of the NRA for quite a long time. Not one that just joins before an election....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Mike is right. Concerning the second amendment? We'll either take two steps forward, or three back. It's all up to the American public.
    Last edited by JD; January 27th, 2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Addressed via PM

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Not strictly 2A, but having spent about 15 years working around these folks it's my humble opinion that they are ALL liars. That is the one thing that seems to transcend party lines.

I do look at what is said by them on 2A and several other "favorites", and try to make an informed choice...... But, believe any of them? No way!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

BAC
    Let me repeat myself a moment: my problem is with Huckabee advertising himself as 2A-friendly just because he hunts. What "pro-2A" picture does he advertise where he's a normally-dressed, average person? Like the ones who are the majority of gun owners? Why, if he believes as he does that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting, does he keep associating it visually with hunting?

You misunderstand me. When a politician tells me they're for or against something, their words mean next to nothing to me except as a note of their proposed integrity (judging by what they've said in the past). What does his voting record indicate? Has he tried to pro-actively help gun owners, or has he simply "voted no" on new legislation? What does his having a concealed-carry license have to do with anything? Has anyone thought it could have been a political move? Even if it's not, should we be required to have a license to carry? A lot of folks here think we shouldn't, and in that point of view Huckabee is just another one going with the flow.

I'm generally critical of politicians, and for the most part agree with rstickle. He might talk nice about the Second Amendment, but so have a lot of past candidates and presidents. Huckabee's website doesn't have a voting record, nor does "Project Vote Smart". Anyone mind helping out with a voting record?

-B

Why, if he believes as he does that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting, does he keep associating it visually with hunting?
    Yeah--I see your issue there. In my opinion--if it works to sway the general public (something they can swallow more easily) toward being more second amendment friendly then that's the way it should continue to go over. I think most of the sheep out there can more closely relate to the hunting scenario as opposed to you and I carrying guns on the streets. You've realized the tactics used by the antis, maybe us pros could use some tactics of our own? Sneaky tactics or whatever it takes to get the support needed. Get what I'm saying. If the previously mentioned candidate associates certain issues in a different manner than what you think should be, there might be a good reason. Good, honest, down to earth politicians also need to be tactful. It's the American public that's receiving the message-----you and I know the underlying causes here, and the direction we need to go. Don't blow our cover, or expose our tactics.

Senior Moderator
    I have watched Huckabee since the he was voted in Lt. Governor and had his office placed in a closet by then openly hostile Jim Guy Tucker, one of the most crooked and vile governors to ever be placed into authority.

It was thought at that time that he would never be more than a figurehead that had little to no effect on local politics.

Someone forgot to tell that to Huckabee though. After Jim Guy was indicted on federal charges for various crimes, Huckabee became the gov. by default...and the rest is history.

Huckabee has always been a avid shooter and hunter. His stances on the second amendment have not changed. His beliefs on the issues are not "new" like most politicians assume in order to get votes, in fact, in his tenure as Governor of Arkansas, he has endured much ridicule from the Democrats and the news media for his stand on the issues.

He has been a friend to gun owners in Arkansas, and on more than one occasion actively supported the streamlining of the CHL's and even going so far as to recommend that any and everyone take responsibility for their own protection and get one.

Although I have never personally hunted with him, one of my duck hunting buddies was on his Cabinet and they would go duck hunting in the fall and winter and turkey hunting in the spring. His wife was featured on several TV stations shooting an MP5 at the police range in Little Rock. She caught some flack for that from the timid folks, but it didn't keep her from doing it again.

I believe that he is the real deal when it comes to the Second Amendment. Although he realizes that many people in high places do not share his views, thus far it hasn't seemed to hinder him or make him change his stance.

Although I do not agree with all that he does, I do think that he is the best thing for gun owners going. While others give the Second Amendment nothing more than lip service to get votes, he lives it and has been for quite some time.

Thats my 2 cents on the issue.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I believe Huckabee is pro 2A regardless of whether he comes across promoting hunting or self defense. Is either one stipulated in the 2A, no. If you think that he people at the time the 2A was adopted didn't use their guns for hunting more than for self defense, I believe your sadly mistaken. Guns were and are tools for several purposes, not simply self defense or held for a rebellion against a government out of control, or for hunting. They are tools for all the mentioned purposes and whatever else you choose to do with them legally.

I believe that Huckabee has shown by his voting record and personal record to be a supporter of the 2A. I don't care if he chooses to promote it through him being dressed as a hunter or dressed in full 5.11 tactical dress with one of those scary black rifles. I do feel that the latter of the two would do him a disservice. Kinda like Duccas riding in the tank or howitzer or whatever he was made a fool of in.

Image is key in many instances. What do people on this forum think about folks dressed like gang banger wanna bees. To many Huckabee would look like a fool dressed in tactical gear.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

AMH
    When choosing a candidate my biggest platform issue is 2A. Everything else is window dressing, although I do prefer some window dressings to others.

I am personally a Libertarian; however I am unable to find a Libertarian candidate this year that I like well enough to stand behind.

My current choice is Ron Paul, second choice is Mike Huckabee. The rest are garbage. This will be the first year I ever supported someone who was not a Libertarian.

Here is a no Bull Cr@p site that spells out each candidate’s platform. I recommend it to everyone, despite your political affiliation.

OnTheIssues.org - Candidates on the Issues
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So he associates 2A with hunting. I'd consider that in the ballpark if not exactly a home run. Other than that, what's he supposed to do, physically, tote a 45 on his hip for everybody to see?

I guess he could go to a gun show or try some target practice, but I won't hold it against him if he doesn't. I think Thompson's visit to a gun show worked both ways. Good to show you're on the team, but alienating to the masses. Whatever...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links