Wondering about something...

This is a discussion on Wondering about something... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to start by indicating this thread is by no means intended to be offensive or cause division. I just have some questions. What ...

I want to start by indicating this thread is by no means intended to be offensive or cause division. I just have some questions. What are the odds of the AWB in it's newly revised form coming back in 2009? The reason I ask is I understand it will cover high capacity magazine handguns as well. Is this true or not? I ask this because I am fairly new to the whole gun culture. I moved south from a very restrictive state when it comes to guns and getting an education from folks in this state as well as hopefully from you folks on this website. I fear will get an anti-2nd Ammendmentin office for the next four to eight years. I hope I am wrong. I look for ward to your input and apologize if I have offended anyone with this post.

Administrator
    Try to buy what you'll end up wanting later as soon as possible and you should be covered.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Personally I don't think we have THAT much to worry about. When the AWB was first put in place, I think in large measure it was pro-gun forces that responded by putting Republicans in the majority of both houses of Congress. The anti-gun politicians have since then been very leery of "the gun lobby" as they now know the power of the NRA and others if they get too extreme. We just need to stay vigilant and involved to stop these violations of our rights.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum! I have been talking about the exact same issue with my wife and friends. I also fear that an Anti-2A person will end up in office, and that they may assist those favoring "gun control".

I did a little searching, and the only issue I came across that would fit our discussion is H.R.1022 (H.R. 1022: Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007 (GovTrack.us)). As you may note, it's been inactive since it's introduction in February of 2007.

Without getting into politics, I would echo what QKshooter said. I am currently saving every penny I can towards an LWRC SRT. After that, a bunch of mags and a ton of ammo.

Theres the fringe benefit of being ready for the zombie apocalypse
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

An AWB in 2009

Several factors work in our favor:

1. The emotional pleas by the banners have burned out. See the events in Richmond, Virginia, last week regarding the so-called "Gun Show Loophole".
    2. Voters see through the banners, having a better understanding of the evil minds of people like Cho, Klebold, Harris, etc.
    3. Situations like Katrina (and mall shootings) make people face the fact that they are responsible for the their own personal protection.
    4. Local crime, because of the 24 hour news cycle (and if it bleeds it leads), make people aware of the danger in more local, less spectacular ways.
    5. We are better organized that in 1994, on both the Federal and State levels.
    6. More people are in to concealed carry - which makes for more attention to banner manipulations.
    7. We have much more statistical information on the worthlessness of the idea.
    8. The Democratic leadership has less control of their troops.
    9. The Democratic leadership was there when the last AWB burned down their control, brought the GOP to power, and led to Monica and all the rest. They have other agendas that trump guns, and have been moving away from the idea since at least 2000 as part of the party platform.
    10. There are a large number of Democrats that are either strongly pro-gun OR do not consider this idea why they are in Washington.
    11. The olde guard is dying off; Diane Finstein is in her $70's, as are most of the leaders of their movement. Even Teddy is getting up there.
    12. We have the tactical inititive - in 1994 the idea of DC vs Heller did not exist.
    13. Freedom is an easier sell than restriction.

We must remain vigilant. The tide is running our way, but we must keep up the pressure at all levels. The work is not finished.

Yes, the GOP candidates (other than Hucklebee) are not as strong as we would like. None are at Condi Rice's position but Mike.

The Dems are clearly worse - especially Billary. Obama is an different thing than Billary; yes, he is a liberal, a Cook County Hack, and clueless about guns. We must deal with him differently than the rest of that bunch in order to adapt to the change - and not fight the last war over. He has not indicated the kind of mindless passion about guns that Teddy etc. have done.

Let him be himself; maybe he will be smart enough to just move on. I would much rather work on other issues that go to Stalingrad on this one; but I will if he (or anybody else) wants to take my freedom away.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

In the past everything was always grandfather in, so if you concerned about it like Qkshooter said, go ahead and buy a few extra magazines now. I know I did last time.

I also agree with what Freedom Doc said regarding learning from there past mistakes with anti gun legislation.

However, our 2nd amendment right is constantly being challenged, and while it’s highly unlikely it will ever be overturned, whereas only military and police are allowed to have guns; there is a possibility of “for our own good” firearms will be restricted.

You also have to keep in mind that while the President is in charge he/she is just one third of our Government. And there are Senators or Congressmen on both parties that are pro gun.

VIP Member
    All it will take is another shooting with a rifle, where numerous victims are made....Will we then be back on our way to another AWB.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator

"All it will take is another shooting with a rifle, where numerous victims are made....Will we then be back on our way to another AWB."

That is exactly how it happened in Australia or at least that was the trip-trigger.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

BAC
    'I dunno, I tend to align myself with GHFLRLTD's line of thought. The politicians who are known to be anti tend not to bring up the subject, or stay on it for long if it's brought up at all. In fact, the only folks still obnoxiously loud about it are a few congressmen and senators ("the usual suspects", as they've become known).

Now, if a president pushes for it, it might happen as otherwise neutral congressmen and senators try to stay in the favor of "those in power". As GHFLRLTD pointed out, most of the louder "usual suspects" are getting up in age and aren't likely to last too much longer, and there aren't a lot of younger congressmen who are as loud as they are.

I wonder how much of the hysteria is created by the market itself as an excuse to raise prices.

-B

Vote, stack em deep and hope logic and reason will prevail. The facts don't support them but then again... it didn't support them that time either. And that experiment failed... but it doesn't take but misguided emotions and over simplification to make a lot of people forget.

This whole country was, is and will continue to be a grand experiment. The mechanisms of change are built in.

That said... prepare...vote... and do what you can to be a good example. Thats all that you can do until the winds of change blow back your way. I have hope that reason will prevail. But I don't leave all to hope. I can prepare.

I believe that any future laws on assualt weapons will also include removing any type of grandfather clause. All items on the list will be illegal, no exceptions.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I believe that any future laws on assualt weapons will also include removing any type of grandfather clause. All items on the list will be illegal, no exceptions.
    That would be impossible to enforce, short of door to door searches, and I don't believe the public would stand for that. Clinton and Oboma have both retracted their statements on national registry and banning guns due to the fact that it is 'politically unviable'. As said above, they know the mistakes they made last time, they have bigger fish to fry, as the saying goes. My main fear is Obama, because he knows so little about guns. If you check out, ontheissues or his website, he is quoted as wanting to ban all semi-automatic weapons. It's obvious by his quotes that he doesn't know what he is talking about or what all his bans would include. It worries me that he is so entrenched in his ideas without bothering to find out what his ideals entail. With him, anything is possible.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    So what is considered a high capacity magazine on a semi-auto?

10+ seems to be the standard
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Links