Should You Lose Your 2A Rights If Convicted Of Domestic Abuse?

This is a discussion on Should You Lose Your 2A Rights If Convicted Of Domestic Abuse? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An interesting debate. What's Your spin? Debate: Should US citizens accused of domestic abuse lose the right to bear arms? - Helium...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should You Lose Your 2A Rights If Convicted Of Domestic Abuse?

Should You Lose Your 2A Rights If Convicted Of Domestic Abuse?

2. Remove Ads

I tend to think so. If you can't control yourself, then you can't control yourself, or you don't want to. OTOH, the charge "domestic violence" can and had been applied to some silly things. I confess to nothing but it is my opinion that sometimes a kid needs a spanking.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If it was with a firearm, I'd say yes - otherwise, I'm not sure. I'd have to know all the details of what happened.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Accused, no

Convicted, yes
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Solely on the basis of an accusation, I say no.

I tend to be a little sensitive to the issue because my wife is heavily involved in the domestic violence prevention community. Nonetheless, constitutionally guaranteed rights, should not be forfeited until after due process has run it's course IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Accused, no

Convicted, yes
    Roger that.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Depends entirely on the circumstances of each case. If the abuse was, "he shouted at me" for example, NO! It's too easy to accuse someone and the laws tend to be vague so a conviction may happen with little or no real reason. I also don't believe all felons should be barred for life. I'm sorry but Martha Stewart is a felon buy why should she be barred for life from self-protection with a firearm if she wants one? Now I know she is probably anti-gun and can afford bodyguards but that is not the point. When I was a kid a "felon" was someone who rapped, murdered, or kidnapped. Heinous crimes for which you could get the death penalty. Now those crimes get a slap on the wrist and you can get a felony conviction for j-walking it seems. We have dumbed down the system and taken all logic out of it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I would say if the felony was non-violent it should not bar somebody for life. Also, a domestic abuse has gotten pretty hazy. I would say if the domestic abuse was violent, than after a reasonable amount of time, that person's case should be reviewed. An 18 year old couple who get in a domestic argument that goes to far, shouldn't ban that person from obtaining a gun when he/she is 45 and hasn't seen their ex in over 25 years. Domestic abuse that is non-violent shouldn't have any impact whatsoever.
    I also don't think a dishonorable discharge should ban somebody for life(depending on what the DD was for), and I definitely don't think a restraining order should revoke a concealed carry license automatically, but it does. Unfortuantely, if somehow I become unconcealed and a store clerk notices it and doesn't like it and gets a restraining order, my license is suspended...that's just silly. I know, I know, concealed means concealed, and I've never been 'made' so far, but it bothers me that something so simple could go so far.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Accused, no

Convicted, yes
    +1

The thread title says "convicted" where as the actual article title is "accused", which are two wholly different states of being and critical to making a decision.
    The positions by both women though are quite interesting.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    +1 accused no, convicted yes.

This ought to be pretty clear already, if you have a felony conviction, you are not allowed to have a firearm... if you don;t have one, you haven't been shown guilty of anything wrong. don't forget about the amendments that gives bad guys a fair trail and protects against unreasonable search and seizure.

they may be bad guys but they still have rights. We are good guys and sometimes have rights...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Convicted yes, as long as they only remove the weapons of the convicted party and not the weapons of the rest of the family. My Father was an abuser, were it not for the 22LR that belonged to my brother there were times he would have killed my mother/ My brother stopped him twice by threatening to shoot him. After he was locked away we then had the guns for protection for when he got out. The protection orders did nothing, just the family running and having the guns to ward him off protected us.

Unhappy

After conviction and "debt paid to society" all Rights should be again assumed.

Should we limit an internet virus hacker 1st Amendment Right to free speech? Should a protester arrested loose his right to assemble?

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    After conviction and "debt paid to society" all Rights should be again assumed.

Should we limit an internet virus hacker 1st Amendment Right to free speech? Should a protester arrested loose his right to assemble?
    "Hacking" the internet is not freedom of speech. It's either invasion of privacy, theft, or even destruction of private property. It's much the same as a burglar breaking into your house.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I have a problem with the "for life"...I just don't think one shoe fits all. Many a times a young person has done something very stupid only to pay his/her price to society, then mature, and become upstanding citizens. I think the for life moniker is a bit drastic and draconian...perhaps a 10 year ban.

Rick

I wonder how often guys are accused of domestic abuse by women with an axe to grind and that are lying about it. That worries the heck out of me but if a guy hits a women then all bets are off. He should never be able to own a gun or carry CCW for that matter. I just think too many guys get railroaded by women with a bunch of hate when a relationship goes south. I think if a women lies about abuse they should get the same sentence that the guy would have gotten if convicted. I never saw my father touch my mother in anger and I've never touched my wife in anger. I expect the same thing for my SOB son-in-law too. While he has not treated my daughter right he at least knows better then to physically hurt her. He does not want to face my wrath.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links