Another Amicus Brief - on our side!

This is a discussion on Another Amicus Brief - on our side! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received an email alert from the NRA yesterday urging me to contact my representatives and ask/demand/beg/plead with them sign Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison's amicus ...

Thread: Another Amicus Brief - on our side!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

I received an email alert from the NRA yesterday urging me to contact my representatives and ask/demand/beg/plead with them sign Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison's amicus brief on the D.C. Gun Ban.

Here is the email text:

"URGENT ALERT: Ask Your U.S. Senator and Representative To Sign The Amicus Brief Against The D.C. Gun Ban Today!

As the most critical Second Amendment case of our lifetimes is now before the Supreme Court, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) is gathering signatures for an amicus (“friend of the court”) brief by Members of Congress. And we need your support to back up this important effort, today.

The case is District of Columbia v. Heller -- the case in which several District of Columbia residents have challenged the District’s laws that prohibit handgun ownership and armed self-defense in the home. This brief is an opportunity to show strong congressional support for the Second Amendment as protecting an individual right to keep and bear arms and not just a “right” to bear arms while serving in a government militia.

Sen. Hutchison’s brief points out the many occasions-from 1866 to 2005-when the Congress has spoken in favor of the Second Amendment as protecting the rights of individuals, and has taken action to protect those rights by law. Congress has also voted repeatedly to repeal the D.C. gun ban.

When Congress speaks, the Supreme Court listens. Every Senator and Congressman who supports individual rights should step forward to be heard by signing this brief. The brief is due within days, so we need your immediate help today.

Please call and email your U.S. Senator and Representative today and urge them to sign on to this critically important brief, which will be a key part of the legal battle to protect the Second Amendment in the U.S. Supreme Court.
    "

I wrote my Senator, though I doubt he'll do it. He is good at agreeing with me in correspondence and voting the other way. Thought this is information members need to know...
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I got the same email too.

I've put together a mailing and fax list of my legislators so I can write one letter, print it off, fax, and email them in about 15 minutes. Every time I write a letter they get it at least 3 ways. For local and state issues I include the immediate surrounding legislators. Mine is anti-gun but the others around us are pro 2nd A. I figure it doesn't hurt. The more action they get the better.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Yep....Gotta love Texans........

Please contact your Senators and Reps and ask them to to sign!!!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison is one of the good "guys"!!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Done

She is my Senator, so I'll send her a big "Thank You."

Sponsor
    I received the same email and sent emails off to my senators and representative:

Sen. Sharrod Brown responded (or his aide did any way)with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrod Brown
    Dear Mr. Schaefer:

Thank you for expressing support for federal action to repeal laws banning firearms in the District of Columbia.

I have heard from constituents who share your views, as well as from those who believe that because gun laws are largely under the jurisdiction of state and local communities, overriding DC’s gun safety laws sets a precedent dangerous to the current judicial framework protecting Second Amendment rights. In previous years, I have voted against any such legislation, which is vehemently opposed by the District’s Mayor and Congressional Delegate, as well as various business and tourism interests in Washington, D.C.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
    Sherrod Brown
    I have not gotten a response from Sen. Voinovich or Rep. Kaptur as of yet. Should I hold my breath?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member

Post Link to List of Those Members Who Signed the Brief

NRA-ILA :: Legislation

I'm pleased to note that all eleven members of Tennessee's congressional delegation are on board!

RON PAUL signs on for 2a

I am not talking of his politics, just that he signed on as this case being unconstitutional.

Ron Paul Defends The Second Amendment

Good for Sen. Hutchison! You have to like a strong woman from Texas!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

lopadrino79,
    CORRECT!! And Ron Paul is correct. The Attorney General and Bush Administration are incorrect on this filing. It would remove some of our liberties and we have to guard and protect those liberties fiercely!
    Thanks for including this, as this one is the one that started the others being filed in support of the Second Amendment.
    We all need to "armed" with as much knowledge as possible in this fight for our liberties!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Sponsored Links