U.S. Senators Aim to Close So Called "Gun Show Loophole"

U.S. Senators Aim to Close So Called "Gun Show Loophole"

This is a discussion on U.S. Senators Aim to Close So Called "Gun Show Loophole" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Haven't seen it posted anywhere else. Please close thread if it is a repeat. From the Los Angeles Times Senators aim to close gun-show loophole ...

Thread: U.S. Senators Aim to Close So Called "Gun Show Loophole"

Thumbs down U.S. Senators Aim to Close So Called "Gun Show Loophole"

Haven't seen it posted anywhere else. Please close thread if it is a repeat.

From the Los Angeles Times
    Senators aim to close gun-show loophole
    Two Democrats seek to widen the scope of background checks. A similar measure failed in Virginia.
    By Ben DuBose
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

February 1, 2008

WASHINGTON Gun-control advocates have been largely stymied in their efforts to get significant new firearms restrictions, but they still believe they can achieve one goal: closing a loophole that allows sales at gun shows without background checks on purchasers.

This week, two Senate Democrats introduced legislation to close that loophole in federal law, despite a recent failure in Virginia -- where a gunman killed 32 students and teachers at Virginia Tech in April -- to change a similar state law.

Accompanied by family members of some of the Virginia Tech victims, along with gun-control advocate Paul Helmke of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Democratic Sens. Frank R. Lautenberg of New Jersey and Jack Reed of Rhode Island unveiled their proposal at a news conference Wednesday.

"It defies common sense that a loophole in federal law lets unlicensed dealers sell firearms at gun shows without running a background check on the buyer," Lautenberg said. "Our legislation would require background checks for every gun purchased at every gun show across America. Without this change in the law, felons, fugitives and severely mentally ill people will continue to be able to buy guns -- no questions asked."

Under current law, only federally licensed gun dealers, such as those at sporting-goods retailers or gun shops, are required to conduct background checks. That doesn't cover informal situations, such as gun shows at an outdoor venue or in a facility rented for the weekend.

The senators pointed to the 1999 killings at Columbine High School outside Denver as an example. Three of the four weapons used at Columbine were purchased at gun shows, and the young woman who bought them for the two shooters -- because she was 18 and they were 17 -- has said she would not have done so had a background check been required.

Weeks after the Columbine shooting, Lautenberg introduced a proposal to close the gun-show loophole in federal law. It passed the Senate on Vice President Al Gore's tiebreaking vote, but did not survive the House.

This time Lautenberg and Reed are using the Virginia Tech shootings to build their case, though gunman Seung-hui Cho bought his guns from a licensed dealer and underwent a background check.

Mentally ill individuals are not permitted to buy firearms from licensed dealers; Cho had been ruled a danger to himself in a 2005 court commitment hearing, but Virginia never forwarded that finding to the national screening database.

Early last month, President Bush signed legislation to expand the federal database by requiring states to provide such information. Gun-control advocates, however, argue that ensuring the names are in the federal database means little, since someone on that list can still purchase firearms at a gun show without a background check.

Only 15 states, including California, require background checks for sales at gun shows. That's why federal law needs to be changed, according to Lautenberg and Reed.

"This legislation does not aim to prohibit people who are eligible to purchase a firearm," Reed said. "This legislation aims to stop firearm purchases by prohibited gun buyers such as convicted felons, fugitives, those found mentally incompetent and juveniles, like those at Columbine High School.

"What we're about, starting today, is avoiding another situation where someone who is ineligible to buy a weapon does so at a gun show."

Between Columbine and Virginia Tech, the gun-show issue largely faded from the legislative agenda.

Republicansfrequently referred to efforts to close the loophole as an infringement of a 2nd Amendment right to privately sell guns. Many Democrats blamed Gore's struggles in rural states in the 2000 presidential election on his support for gun control, and have backed away from gun issues for fear of a political backlash.

"It's simply a drive to make it impossible to have guns without being regulated by the government," said Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America. "From what the government itself has found, shows are seldom a place where guns get into the hands of criminals. Gun shows are a freedom, and they're trying to take away another freedom."

It's a particularly difficult issue in Virginia, one of the nation's most politically mixed states.

And even with the Virginia Tech shootings fresh in state legislators' minds, such a measure wasn't successful there: On Jan. 18, in a 13-9 party-line vote, the Republican majority on the House of Delegates' Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee buried two bills that would have required sellers at gun shows to check buyers' criminal histories.

Del. David W. Marsden, a Democrat who crafted one of the two House bills, used as an example a vendor at a gun show -- "essentially, someone like you or me that can go sell Grandpa's shotgun" -- and said Republicans and Democrats would approach that sale from different positions.

"They see that issue as a private transaction, like giving it to a cousin in your home," he said.

"But we no longer see it as a private sale in the circumstance of a gun show, because it's a public facility. Whether they rented a hall, rented a field or whatever, it's a public facility."

Despite support from Gov. Tim Kaine, a Democrat, and Virginia Tech victims' families, a similar bill failed even in the Democratic-controlled state Senate -- meaning the issue is effectively off the table for 2008.

"All we're trying to do is make sure the existing state law is applied to a gun show," said Marsden, who represents suburban Fairfax County, near the nation's capital. "But the problem in Virginia is that rural and Republican Party interests are still predominant."

ben.dubose@latimes.com

Typical B.S. coming out of Washington.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Meeting somewhere is not a "loop hole". And good luck defining where private citizens can and cannot meet to exchange goods. This is the REAL reason these legislative efforts fail. The first Amendment is protecting the Second in this rare instance.

Another thing is that a lot of these convention centers are not Public Property. They are owned and run by private companies contracted to do so. And besides... if its public property the right to assemble is protected. The purpose of the assembly is for legal transaction. Face to face is legal.

The best way to close the "loop hole" is to identify the bad guys with felony records with this sign on their ID or drivers license.

Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

And of course they always bring up Virginia Tech, when it has no bearing of the subject!!! And people will eat this crap up!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Only the Gun Owners of America (GOA) has spoke out on this matter and only the GOA has taken the proper stance on this matter.

Where is the NRA and SAF ? I am member of all three org's.

Both the NRA and SAF, better get on the record real quick in the same very GOA positive way. I am sure the SAF will if the SAF has not done so already we have just have not seen it yet. The NRA is much more shaky knee, PC, and gives away too much compared to the GOA and SAF.

BAC
    Two democrats? This wouldn't happen to be the same one McCain and Lieberman were pushing a while back, would it? I guess that one died and the Dems are taking up the cause. Hope this one meets the same fate, too.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    The best way to close the "loop hole" is to identify the bad guys with felony records with this sign on their ID or drivers license.

I have re-read the Second Amendment several times this morning after reading your post. No where in the Second Amendment can I find where former / ex felons are denied their Rights under the Second Amendment.

I have never had a problem with former / ex felons having the same Rights as you and I under the exact of the wording of the Second Amendment.

Former / ex felons that served their time in jail and completed their probation, they have paid their debt to society. They should all have the same Rights as you and I. Which brings them back fully into society, rather than leaving them outside society.

Just to let you, I believe the justice system is far too easy murders, rapist, theives, etc - whether actually done or attempted of the following - Murder, Rape, Theft of Vehicles (just like horses), Break-in of Houses / Business, Drug Pushers, Pimps, Robbery on the FIRST OFFENSE should all be DEATH by HANGING on the COURTHOUSE SQUARE every Saturday Morning in full public view just like done in the Old West.

Other convicted with felonies would be a small number of people and maybe these crimes were not even felonies in the past but are now. Need to research this more.

Bottom - did the crime - done the punishment - then closed issue - individual entitled to their full Rights as an USA Citizen, otherwise they should be dead or in jail.

The crime would drop in less than 10 days by large percentage and the sales in the rope industry to the various levels of government would increase aiding the recovery of the economy.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Just to let you, I believe the justice system is far too easy murders, rapist, theives, etc - whether actually done or attempted of the following - Murder, Rape, Theft of Vehicles (just like horses), Break-in of Houses / Business, Drug Pushers, Pimps, Robbery on the FIRST OFFENSE should all be DEATH by HANGING on the COURTHOUSE SQUARE every Saturday Morning in full public view just like done in the Old West.

I think DEATH by GUILLOTINE would make more of an impression.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Sponsored Links