Exercising the spending power of gun owners - Page 2

Exercising the spending power of gun owners

This is a discussion on Exercising the spending power of gun owners within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bigiceman Would you participate in an effort to fiscally chastise some business or community for their firearms policies? Yes, and I currently ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exercising the spending power of gun owners

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    Would you participate in an effort to fiscally chastise some business or community for their firearms policies?
    Yes, and I currently do so.

The groups that have used their dollars to cause change have been very organized and unified. As a whole, gun owners are not.
    I agree with that statement. Like getting the American public to boycott gasoline buying for one single day to have an impact on the price of oil. God save us all----alot of folks just don't pay attention, most folks have their own agenda, most folks are too dependent on things and have gained poor habits. Most folks in this nation just don't have a backbone nor the will power to stand up for something or do without something they take for granted almost every day. The plain simple truth, and it's sad. Yes---your idea works in theory, but in application--only those with principles and a willingness to put aside their addictive personal agendas will heed the call. I'm still an optimist at heart, just that realities have clouded things a bit from time to time. FYI--name the time and day--I'll be with you even if it's just the two of us.

I would definately want to be a part of a unified effort. In all honestly, I wouldn't have to change anything, I simply don't spend money in places that do not allow me the right to defend my family or myself.

The only real exceptions are the "have to" places. It took a while for my wife to get on board and quit rolling her eyes but now it's second nature. I'm part of the silent movement though. I don't make an issue of it, I just spend money in better places.

If there was an organized effort I'd do my part with something like the no guns=no money cards.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Boycott? Sure it could be powerful but it will never happen! With 80 million gun owners, all this group would have to do is VOTE in block...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Voting is not always as simple as spending. In the coming election there is not going to be anyone running for president that I would trust. Maybe we need a good write-in candidate. Can you imagine the disbelief the Republicans would have if all the gun owners voted for a single non-announced candidate?

Ramrod, the gas thing was a futile gesture. Even if we don't buy it on Wednesday, if we buy it on Thursday the gas companies get the money just the same. Decide to send your business to another merchant permanently and the competition notices. Withold your purchases for a month and the merchants notice.

You said name the date, okay Independance Day.

That will be the focus. The time period will be announced soon and the merchants in question. What we need to compile is a list of friendly and unfriendly merchants and how we are not only going to tell them why we are shunting our business to others, but also we need to tell the other businesses we are coming and why. More to come.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

There might be a few problems with this is establishing which merchants are ANTI, and which essentially take no stance vs. the "pro-gun" merchants. I have seen some internet rumor-mongering and things that would generate problems for "take no stance" merchants when it was deserved.
    This would be unless you are speaking of national type, large chains with a stated corporate policy and obvious "no guns" type signage.
    I try to shop pro-gun when I can...and avoid no gun when I can.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    There might be a few problems with this is establishing which merchants are ANTI, and which essentially take no stance vs. the "pro-gun" merchants. I have seen some internet rumor-mongering and things that would generate problems for "take no stance" merchants when it was deserved.
    This would be unless you are speaking of national type, large chains with a stated corporate policy and obvious "no guns" type signage.
    I try to shop pro-gun when I can...and avoid no gun when I can.
    I think it we were to do something like this you're right. If we are going to do it right and get noticed we'll need to go after the national chains.

The chains that take no stance are neither for us or against us, but with that stance we are still allowed to carry and defend our families, that's what I'm really after.

They should not be targeted for boycott, but given the choice between a "no stance" and a "pro rights" store I'll go with the "pro rights" store.

Maybe even give them a voice or at least a place to ask questions. An honest, simple, calm explanation together with a reduction in their bottom line may be all it takes for some. Others will not bend so easily, but it's a start.

I think the biggest thing we can do is use integrity and truth not just a blanket boycott. Done right I believe we could make a difference.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Does anyone know if the Brady Bunch receives any Corporate sponsorship? Those would be the companies to boycott.

Getting the NRA, GOA, and other pro 2A organizations to support and advertise boycotting them may help (or hinder telling the sheep where to shop).

I tried looking through their sight, and started getting sick so I had to stop.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Precisely the kind of discussion we need. On another site a person spoke highly of Men's Warehouse. I am going to talk with them more about it and look into it myself. A national chain like that would be a good source, and if all we did was go in, buy a tie or a pair of socks and let them know how much we appreciated their support and that the reason we were spending money there that visit was because of it. This is kind of gender based and we know that there are many women gun owners too, so a more gender neutral store could be in order. This is an example though. Imagine the impact on the market if we could get even 1 million customers to walk into a store and tell them why we had walked in wasn't because of the specials, or their television adds, but because of their support of second amendment rights and the rights of firearms owners to carry their weapons. The bragging rights they would rub in their competitors faces would really make an impact and there would surely be people out there courting our business.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

On another site a person spoke highly of Men's Warehouse. I am going to talk with them more about it and look into it myself. A national chain like that would be a good source, and if all we did was go in, buy a tie or a pair of socks and let them know how much we appreciated their support and that the reason we were spending money there that visit was because of it.
    I like this idea. I don't need a suit, but I could use some socks. Hadn't planned to buy them at Men's Warehouse, but I will now, and I'll tell them why. The Men's Warehouse near my office has given me great service in the past, and they didn't even flinch when I asked them to cut my suit with a little extra room for a shoulder holster.

I was at IDPA today at S&W.

Boycotting events held in the state does nothing.
    Avoiding events held at S&W does even less.

What needs to happen is for citizens who are actually eligible to vote to get up off their duff and actually VOTE!
    The last gubernatorial election in MA had also the position of the states atty. general up for replacement. The states firearms laws are largely as they are thanks to the past and outgoing _two term_ state atty general Tom Reilly; Thomas Reilly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

The replacements were down to two, a dem and a republican. The republican was a sensible guy who also most notably was running on a pro-gun base. He lost. The other candidate promoting more of same won, by a landslide.

If you're upset with MA firearms rules and laws then your letter and ire should not be pointed towards the few supporters of our rights that we have left in MA such as S&W.
    Instead you should be forwarding your missives on to current and new attorney general of Ma Ms. Martha 'More of Same' Coakley.
    She can be found at...

Office of the Attorney General
    Contact Us - Attorney General's Office
    Martha Coakley - Home
    Martha Coakley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Janq is a long time member & supporter with monies of the S&W Training Center and the neighboring S&W Academy and trains there weekly
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq, I hope that nothing I wrote was construed to indicate that S&W should be penalized at all. They are a great company and deserve our patronage.

You are right the gun owning voters do need to get out there, but as we see, they represent a minority. When so many of the sheeple are brainwashed by the anti-gun propaganda the only way I can think of waking them up is with dollars. The merchants who could really care less if we lose our right to bear arms do care if we don't come to their shops and spend money. The town fathers who think they are doing something right by being anti-gun will sing a different tune if the treasury is made smaller by the spending influence of the gun owning public, especially if we support each other. They did it in Selma Alabama to a bus company in the 60's, why can't we do it to a municipality now? The NRA helps with lobbying and voting information, but they are no substitute for involved supportive and active participants in a process to restore our rights and demonstrate our buying power. The gun shop and sporting goods stores already understand, we need to make our influence known to the other merchants and make them feel what it is like to suddenly have 25% of their potential customers make a decision based upon the merchants gun policies.
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Support 2A

There is another tactic that has been used by P. T. Barnum and the USN before. Pick a particular denomination of currency that is not normally used in transactions. (dollar coins or two dollar bills) and make all of your transactions for a period of time with them. When the merchants cash drawers overflow with them they realize how dependent they are upon the group in question. This was done in Norfolk VA during the 70's and it opened a lot of eyes. The admiral there had everyone's paychecks cashed with $2 bills.

Talk to your friends who have firearms who might not be on this forum and see what they think. That will have to be the other part of this, everyone would need to be reached.
    If every gun owner would carry a pen with them and write 2A on the front of every $1, $5, $10, $20, etc. (paper bills) it would send a message to businesses where their money is coming from.

Go to the bank and withdraw from the ATM, write 2A on the bills and deposit back in the ATM.

If someone asks why the 2A is on your bills tell them you support the second amendment.

This would spread like wildfire, tell all your other gun forums to do the same. Let businesses know who supports them.

OK I'll start my money is marked 2A
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

What if instead of "boycotts" we used "endorsements" instead. It would accomplish the same thing, re-routing dollars but in a much more subtle way.

Can we get the bigger pro rights organizations to "endorse" a particular national chain based on their honoring our rights?

The word "boycott" conjures up one mental picture, while following an "endorsement" brings a much different picture to mind.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Holdcard this is exactly what I think is the correct thing also. I think patronizing a merchant and then telling another merchant that they missed out is a better tactic than a boycott, and is exactly what I am proposing. The financial windfall a single merchant would receive from a large host of gun owners spending money with them during a short pre-determined time period would be a great thing to be able to point to. Hey business "X" how would you like to have a piece of that pie that business "Y" enjoyed? Change your policies and you can.

I am going to continue to explore this and get back with everyone. Right now I am shooting for having a candidate in time for the first week of July.
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links