Exercising the spending power of gun owners

This is a discussion on Exercising the spending power of gun owners within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Holdcard What if instead of "boycotts" we used "endorsements" instead. It would accomplish the same thing, re-routing dollars but in a much ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exercising the spending power of gun owners

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    What if instead of "boycotts" we used "endorsements" instead. It would accomplish the same thing, re-routing dollars but in a much more subtle way.

Can we get the bigger pro rights organizations to "endorse" a particular national chain based on their honoring our rights?

The word "boycott" conjures up one mental picture, while following an "endorsement" brings a much different picture to mind.

Holdcard
    I agree that they are two subjective terms, and in our case Boycott falls in line with Protesting the violation of our constitutional rights, thus bringing more attention to the issue, whereas endorsement is more like saying Thank You and will not receive much attention.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

I agree that protesting may draw more attention, but that is media attention. I want to draw business people's attention, and that takes dollars. This is the tactic used by the homosexuals to bend business to their wills. First you show them the carrot, how much they can make, then if needed, you boycott them so they feel the stick. They have to know that not only can they lose business, but that their competetors will get their business when they lose it.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Keep us posted, I'd love to have a list of places that actually welcome my business.

I think to make it work though we're going to have to get something national behind us.

Holdcard

ETA: I don't really think we need the media attention. The message we want to send is to the business owners. Word will get around on it's own within our target group. Anything gun related the media is going to skew anyway. If business owners start getting the message isn't that really all we want? Once they realize the dollar potential things may start coming our way in other areas as well.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Probably worth mentioning that we have the ultimate power, if only we'd use it.

Does everyone that responded vote?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Probably worth mentioning that we have the ultimate power, if only we'd use it.

Does everyone that responded vote?
    Yes I do, however. What's written down and what really happens are two distinct things. While the vote is supposed to be the ultimate citizen power, in reality dollars hold more weight than votes to.

Dollars will eventually influence those who vote with bigger dollars (big business). For example (a very good one) look at our banking and credit laws. Who formed those laws and who actually got to cast a vote? Big business has had the most effect on banking laws. It's not supposed to be that way, but it is.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    Yes I do, however. What's written down and what really happens are two distinct things. While the vote is supposed to be the ultimate citizen power, in reality dollars hold more weight than votes to.

Dollars will eventually influence those who vote with bigger dollars (big business). For example (a very good one) look at our banking and credit laws. Who formed those laws and who actually got to cast a vote? Big business has had the most effect on banking laws. It's not supposed to be that way, but it is.

Holdcard

Agreed. There is, additionally, the circumspect manner in which your vote is counted. Very good point, though, Hold.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Great discussion people. Keep it up. How do we get through to them? I really do want to do a large scale support buy in July. I also want to have something that people can and will do all year.

I have made a template for business cards that I am going to put on card-stock paper and carry a few with me. Here in Texas I don't have very many opportunities to tell a merchant that I wish I could patronize their store because of their gun policy. I have not encounterd one yet. Here is what I have put on the card. Please feel free to create something of your own, or copy my example and print your own. It would be a quick way to get someones attention at the door and ask them to give it to the manager, or worst comes to worst disarm and go inside and give it to them yourself. I also plan to send a letter to the parent company.

My holster and my wallet are a package deal

Your choice to deny access to your establishment for those who are lawfully carrying concealed weapons means that you have denied me the opportunity to enter your business and purchase your products. I will therefore be patronizing your competitors.

My holster and my wallet are a package deal
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links