Knew this was coming sooner or later

This is a discussion on Knew this was coming sooner or later within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Barack Obama: NIU shootings call for action MILWAUKEE – Sen. Barack Obama this morning commented on Thursday's shootings at Northern Illinois University, as he also ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knew this was coming sooner or later

Knew this was coming sooner or later

Barack Obama: NIU shootings call for action

MILWAUKEE – Sen. Barack Obama this morning commented on Thursday's shootings at Northern Illinois University, as he also discussed his views on gun laws.

The Illinois Democrat, talking for the first time about the shootings in his home state, said during a news conference that he had talked to the school's president this morning.

"My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who were killed and those who were injured….when a madman walked into a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University and opened fire," Obama said.

Obama said he pledged whatever support was needed for the school.

"I told the president that I would obviously make my office available if anything could be done to help deal with their situation with the families and ongoing investigations and discussions about approved security," he said.

Obama talked about the ongoing suffering, after attention inevitably goes elsewhere.

"They come in and out of the headlines and after a while, most of the world goes on," he said. "But for all the loved ones who are left behind, the pain and sorrow, I can only imagine, remains for a very, very long time."

Obama said the nation must commit itself to "do whatever it takes to eradicate this violence from our streets, from our schools, from our neighborhoods and our cities."

Before speaking to a rally here, Obama said the nation must do a "more effective job of enforcing our gun laws, strengthening our background check system, being able to trace guns that are used in violent crimes to unscrupulous gun dealers -- so that we can crack down on them -- closing gun show loopholes."

He specifically pointed to a California law as a possible model.

"There was a discussion today about a law that has just passed in California that allows micro-tracing of bullets that have been discharged in a crime so that they can immediately be traced," he said. "This is something that California has passed over the strong objections of the NRA…That's the kind of common sense gun law that gun owners as well as victims of gun violence can get behind."

Obama said he believes in the Second Amendment, but that there is plenty of room for added gun regulations. "There is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation," he said.

Mentioning his home city, Obama said local entities should also have the ability to have their own more strict regulations.

"I think that local jurisdictions have the capacity to institute their own gun laws…The City of Chicago has gun laws, as does Washington, D.C.," he said. "I think the notion that somehow local jurisdictions can't initiate gun safety laws to deal with gang-bangers and random shootings on the street isn't born out by our Constitution."
    was only a matter of time no ?
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Another nut case. Just one more law will fix anything.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Obama said he believes in the Second Amendment, but that there is plenty of room for added gun regulations. "There is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation
    Why doesn't he exercise some common sense regulations on his First Amendment right or maybe the 3rd or 4th or 5th or ....
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Why doesn't he exercise some common sense regulations on his First Amendment right or maybe the 3rd or 4th or 5th or ....
    Now, you've been warned before...stop making sense!

The truth usually comes out sooner or later. Sometimes it's too late, and I believe this to be the case concerning this candidate. Deep down in my being, I know without a doubt something is definitely wrong when someone like this is even a potential candidate much less one in the running for the highest office in the United States of America! I seriously feel the power of evil everytime I see this (thing) in human form on TV and see words come from it's mouth but do not hear. May God bless us all and save us from evil.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Yeah, this is a great idea, because microstamping would really help us solve the mystery of the NIU shooting.

Oh, wait... You mean we already have the guns? We already know who the shooter was? We already have the serial numbers, so we know where the guns were bought, and the the dealer was just a regular old legal gun dealer and not an unscrupulous blood, fear, and hate monger?

Well, darn. Guess microstamping isn't really all that useful! Whoulda think it?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 88m View Post
    Obama said the nation must commit itself to "do whatever it takes to eradicate this violence from our streets, from our schools, from our neighborhoods and our cities."
    Hmmm. Seems to me that we had much less violence back in the 1950's and early 1960's. Why don't we revert our society to some of the sound principles that seemed to stem the tide of violence. Things like teaching manners, respect, honor, personal responsibility, a faith in God, commitment... shall I go on?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I saw an Obama sound bite before Super Tuesday. He was in a northwestern state, and when questioned about 2A answered "I'm not going to take your guns away".

He's flopping like a fish outa water, eh? He'll just regulate gun ownership away....and then blame it on the bureaucrats..........
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 15th, 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Typo
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

RE:

Sounds like hes playing with fire, hes gotta convince my dad whos a brainwashed dem that hes really after his guns. I think hes doing a better job. That friggn Hillary is smart she knew not to even get into the discussion, her only bite was the AWB to get her soccer mom stats up.
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different outcomes is just plain ignorant. Does any really think the next law coming down the pipeline will really change anything?

"I think the notion that somehow local jurisdictions can't initiate gun safety laws to deal with gang-bangers and random shootings on the street isn't born out by our Constitution."

I'd really like him to explain how a "gun safety law" (whatever the h#ll that is) is going to prevent anything relating to gangbangers. Wake up idiot!! Its all reactive, not preventative!! How about taking those criminals off the street? Do we have anything for that? I calculate not - that takes money, and with shrinking budgets, police forces and jail cells must be getting thin.

I think antis like him think that if they make it hard enough to excercise our rights, we might just give up and choose not to.

That whole interview was a a political tap dance. He said absolutely nothing one way or the other. And Hillary is not one bit better on 2A.
    Then you look at McCain and he will sell us out to Mexico.

Man Ron Paul needs to run as an independent.
    Jack dog

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Yeah, this is a great idea, because microstamping would really help us solve the mystery of the NIU shooting.

Oh, wait... You mean we already have the guns? We already know who the shooter was?
    LOL...My thought exactly.

Obama said the nation must do a "more effective job of enforcing our gun laws, strengthening our background check system, being able to trace guns that are used in violent crimes to unscrupulous gun dealers -- so that we can crack down on them -- closing gun show loopholes."
    is Obama on crack? He is manipulating this incident to his own agenda. Politicians are idiots.

gun laws = followed
    background checks = passed, police issued buyer's card too!
    trace gun used in crime = already found 4 guns
    unscrupulous gun dealers= none
    gun show loopholes= no guns purchased at gun show

common sense gun law that gun owners as well as victims of gun violence can get behind."
    I advocate laws that make sense and have an effect on their goal. I can safely say, the "common sense gun laws" are useless. If in doubt, see above.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    "There is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation," he said.
    ... local entities should also have the ability to have their own more strict regulations.
    The right to bear arms shall not be infringed. That's crystal clear. Should be understandable to even those blinded by greed and power (which, I'm sure it is).

I'm all for any law that has the purpose of reducing criminal violence and that actually has a strong chance of achieving exactly that, so long as it DOES NOT INFRINGE on the right of citizens to defend themselves, either by direct or indirect consequences. Precious few of these precious laws have done anything other than infringe on the actual, practical ability of people to defend themselves, sometimes to the point of absolute elimination of legally-obtainable firearms (ie, IL, obi-wan's home state).

"I think that local jurisdictions have the capacity to institute their own gun laws."
    Oh, sure, they have the capacity, alright. They, the grabbers, are up to the elbow with such things. Dripping in blood, from such things, too, given all the damage to citizens they've done along the way.

However, what they do NOT have is either the right or the authority. IMO, the authority to legislate in this area specifically stops at the edge of the People's ability to defend themselves. The firearm isn't the point, as such; rather, it's what having free ownership and possession of firearms seeks to protect and defend ... life, liberty. That was the practical intention of the 2A.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    is Obama on crack? He is manipulating this incident to his own agenda. Politicians are idiots.
    Not most. They are clever and smart, and well-connected to the gravy train realities. They can be dangerous and deadly, in their effects. The "effective" ones, anyway.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Obama is lying to the electorate. His stance on DC and microstamping demonstrates that he does not believe in an individual's right to own guns or to self defense. But to get votes in the South and West he has to pretend he does. He is a typical politician. Campaign one way, act the other.

If Obama was really smart, he would have suspended his campaigning and gone directly to the NIU campus to make his remarks and be photographed w/the victims families.

That's what Chuck Schumer did when that nut job shot up a rush hour LIRR commuter train in 1993. For the NY media it was Chucky 24/7. It wasn't long afterwards that Representative Schumer was elected Senator Schumer.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links