CNN segment on Student CCW on Campus

This is a discussion on CNN segment on Student CCW on Campus within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bandit383 Hummm....I wonder what people will say when the next school attack occurs and there were CCWers on the campus? At worst, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CNN segment on Student CCW on Campus

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummm....I wonder what people will say when the next school attack occurs and there were CCWers on the campus?
    At worst, a CCWer will not be able to stop anything and so what? We are not guaranteeing that no attack will ever happen, just that they might do something about it against not being able to do a damn thing but bleed and die if they are disarmed.

It is pretty much the same arguments we heard when passing state-wide CCW laws.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

OK, heres a simple way to address this:

1) get rid of the "gun-free" zones in our schools; instead, allow signs to be posted that say the following:

Warning! CCW License holders may or may not be on premises. All CCW holders in good standing with the state of XXXXX are eligible to recieve reduced tuition benefits; qualified applicants please see registrar.

This will cure the problem very quickly.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I like your thoughts...why I said in another thread trusted agents/prior demonstration such as military etc. But I have to ask...is it to protect/defend the school or just to protect himself/herself? Finally, would the school be liable for NDs or stolen or a shooting that hurt others? I think the real sticking point with schools is the liability issues.

Rick
    School liability generally is a myth, at least for most states. To begin with, there is the traditional governmental immunity which is softened a little bit to allow some limited claims. In Texas, public school immunity is so absolute that a school cannot be sued for any kind of tort except those involving vehicles. Exceptions exist for federal civil rights violations such as unlawful discrimination based upon race, religion, etc. In reality the Brady bunch philosophy pervades all of American society.

An excellent discussion folks, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I just don't see how it is reasonable to 'seed' a class.
    It's like you'd be 'deputizing' them or something. To 'seed' a class it would have to be organized. I'm pretty sure that would then bring 'liabilties' into play.
    I believe what we are trying to achieve is simply 'the right to conceal carry for the protection of oneself'. This I think would tend to be a deterrant, albeit a minor one, but could also serve as a catalyst for good if by chance a shooting spree is stopped one day.
    Percentage of Concealed Carriers in the US is I believe between 1-2 %. The percentage among college students is probably lower. We're getting there though, slowly but surely.

Well, perhaps seed isnt the word or phrase, but, im assuming that should CCW be allowed, most universities wont want to allow it with out a certain degree of control(like states do). Seems to me many colleges are complete governments unto themselves, or at least, they like to think so.

Anyway, im just throwing thoughts out for discussion.

Because I can not sue the state school my wife goes to if she gets killed, maimed, raped, robbed, etc, the school would have no more liability if I shot,raped,robbed, etc even though I had a CHL. I just dont see liablility as an issue here, they cant be sued for not protecting you how can they be sued for the actions of an individual just because he had a CHL?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    Because I can not sue the state school my wife goes to if she gets killed, maimed, raped, robbed, etc, the school would have no more liability if I shot,raped,robbed, etc even though I had a CHL. I just dont see liablility as an issue here, they cant be sued for not protecting you how can they be sued for the actions of an individual just because he had a CHL?
    Ask Virginia Tech...they are being sued. I suspect IL will too...

Rick

link to video

For those who missed it like me, here's a link to it.
    Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Thanks prawls

Yes, thanks for the link.

I think it speaks for itself when the victim started by saying "I think it's highly inappropriate to bring a victim into this discussion."

Once that was said, he clearly showed a complete and total fear of guns. Saying it's "gonna happen" about someone coming in with an AK or uzi and saying we can do nothing about it shows this fear. Combine that with his thought that the students (and professors) aren't responsible enough to to defend themselves with handguns, you approach a "what??????" kind of thought.

"students need to be in a peaceful environment" - yet a massacre is inevitable and indefensible, in his own words.

A victim should not have been on the show. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    I think it speaks for itself when the victim started by saying "I think it's highly inappropriate to bring a victim into this discussion."

Once that was said, he clearly showed a complete and total fear of guns. Saying it's "gonna happen" about someone coming in with an AK or uzi and saying we can do nothing about it shows this fear. Combine that with his thought that the students (and professors) aren't responsible enough to to defend themselves with handguns, you approach a "what??????" kind of thought.

"students need to be in a peaceful environment" - yet a massacre is inevitable and indefensible, in his own words.

A victim should not have been on the show. Period.
    Yeah, that struck me right off. I will say, to his credit, he did recognize that it may not have been a good idea since his viewpoint may contain some bias. Now, if he had presented good and logical points it would have been fairly nullified, but there was a good logical reasonable answer to everything he brought to the table.

Even as he was a victim his statements of view were bent toward fatalism.
    To his mind why prepare or allow others to prepare or have the audacity to fight back and defend ones self?
    It'll only result in the other guy hitting you harder and/or more painfully(!).

Yeah, okay.

Clearly that dog don't hunt as based on a multitude of results to date including his own direct experience as a 'victim'.
    It seems that simply many people have no feeling in their own individual belly or minds eye toward seeing themselves as anything but a gentle and passive human being. They seem to see and think that violence of all manner and sort even that of self defense are all same. That violence used to save ones own life and/or that of others is bad...period, and with no exceptions nor exemptions. These are the people who in school had their lunch monies taken on a daily basis and wrote off the tax in their minds as it being okay because at least there was no violence and no one got hurt from paying the tax. They as based on their words seem to see this non violent compliance as a form of diplomacy (?).

Some people are just this way and that's okay in my book.
    Other people, like many of us here, are not by spirit and even fewer by real world past experience(s) action(s). In my book that's okay too.
    When in a small room with no where else to go and violence is in my face, I personally have no problem with employing and applying violence to resolve a situation where clearly there is no diplomacy.

- Janq doesn't like to fight, but if pressed will bite
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I think its ironic that a victim would be using his "victimhood" to profit and spread this stuff and then take offense to bringing up the victims.

Garrett Evans is representing Schooldispatch.com now.

Schooldispatch.com is a product. And he is probably being paid to sell it. He is on a tour to promote it. He has another agenda to sell besides safety of students. He is being used to sell a product to schools. One must assume he is a paid promoter?

There are other "notifications services" that have jumped into the band wagon of this new Market besides them. It is a lucrative market right now.

Go to Schooldispatch.com and see how they promote his "Promotional Tour" for them.

Owned by Vadomedia... Latest News > VadoMedia

He attempted to introduce the "notification solution" but got cut off. What he is there to do is bring up a product that VT and almost every other college already has in place to widen its market. Which is why he has the stance he has... because it pays to have that stance. He is not representing Virginia Tech... he is representing Vadomedia.

By Amanda Venable
    The University Star (Texas State U.-San Marcos)
    02/12/2008

(U-WIRE) SAN MARCOS, Texas — Virginia Tech survivor Garrett Evans tours the nation, telling his story and speaking out on how he thinks schools can foster safer campuses.

Evans is touring to promote VadoMedia, a for-profit business that offers free school dispatching as an emergency alert system. The service is funded through sponsorship. Schools must be willing to receive advertisements from local backers in order to use the service.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    SOOOO You get shot in a mass murdereres rampage and suddenly become an expert on firearms and gun control in general. I'm sorry you got shot but your and IDIOT if you still want to be a victim!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

If it pays well enough you do...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links