CNN segment on Student CCW on Campus - Page 3

CNN segment on Student CCW on Campus

This is a discussion on CNN segment on Student CCW on Campus within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Agreed, the shooting victim Mr. Evans is an idiot...or rather is acting like an idiot. But people will listen to his story and buy into ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Agreed, the shooting victim Mr. Evans is an idiot...or rather is acting like an idiot.
    But people will listen to his story and buy into it because it's what they want to hear and he must be right, right?!. Because he did get shot not once but twice at college while simply trying to study.
    Not that this alert system would have done him in specific any good what so ever toward prevention of being shot. To which then what is his point, exactly?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well... probably he is getting PAID to act as he does.

But there is no reason to not sell the product and not take the stance on carry or not. You could simply do both.

I find it rather distasteful to use victimhood to sell something and even more so to then try and work an unrelated agenda into it while getting paid,for something entirely different, to do so.

What was not raised is that the age for CCW is 21. MOST students at age 21 are in their Junior or Senior years...the LEAST stressful in some cases. Students are familiar with campus, usually have a friend base, large or small, and are not dealing with the first courses. MOST students drop out of college "due to stress" in the first TWO years. The maturity argument I don't believe to be valid in this case.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed, the shooting victim Mr. Evans is an idiot...or rather is acting like an idiot.
    But people will listen to his story and buy into it because it's what they want to hear and he must be right, right?!. Because he did get shot not once but twice at college while simply trying to study.
    Not that this alert system would have done him in specific any good what so ever toward prevention of being shot. To which then what is his point, exactly?

- Janq

Janq,
    OF course trhe alert system would have saved them. Then the SHARKS with the Laser beams attached their forhead would have come and saved them. You just don't understand.

I'm not trying to be funny just use the same logic Mr. I got shot in the legs and now am an expert on all guns. Hey btw average crimals don't have the money to pay for a $25,000 machine gun. Last time I checked AK 47's where somewhat in that ball park.
    If I was in the Military and under the age of 21 I would be EXTREMELY upset. According to Mr. DUMB <-- Insert MULE.

Apparently every enlisted person in the military under the age of 21 has no qualification to handle a pistol because you lack training, mentality, and will break down and cry if somebody calls you a name.

However, they are the main driving force in the strongest most highly trained Military in history and currently on the planet. Well Mr. Ingram your logic doesn't make any sense at all.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I have kids in college...I've seen first hand some of the antics that go on.
    There are a few CCWers that I wouldn't trust to be able to hit the side of the barn, let alone the judgment to make the right call. Rick
    The same logic could be applied to car ownership on campus. Should my rights be nullified because of what someone else might do?

I remember my first semester at college. And I admit I was stressed... But it was not the kind of stress that would cause me to pull out a firearm and start shooting people. In fact, it was just the opposite. I wanted to be alone... I had to study.... I had to use my brain in a whole new way, and if anything, even if I was carrying, I might have been to stressed to respond quickly and effectively to a life threatening situation. But I agree with the others making the "age" argument. I was still basically a kid, or maybe you could say I was just beginning my escape from from being a dumb kid. By my senior year, I had more than relaxed, and was ready to take on the world... right about the same time I was legally old enough to carry a firearm... of course Michigan was not a shall issue state back then, but I think the point is valid.

The only issue I might have is the psychological aspect of getting a CCW. I don't know how it is in other states, but my current mental status was not examined when I applied. Perhaps the instructor of the NRA class was questioned during my background check, but even he was a good ol' boy who wasn't qualified to evaluate anything other than if I passed or failed his class. (My argument has side-tracked and now has very little to do the original topic so I will get off it now... Hey does this prove that I am mentally unstable? Hmmmmmm.... gotta learn to stay on topic...lol)

Back to original topic: I agree that we should be able to carry on campus. With my current job, I am often at university medical centers and must disarm myself before I go in and try to make a living. Its one of the places I feel the most unsafe, simply because my only self defense options at that point become a small folding knife and my feet and hands which don't move quite and fast or as powerfully as they did in my youth.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links