How many relate the first and second amendments? - Page 2

How many relate the first and second amendments?

This is a discussion on How many relate the first and second amendments? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SixBravo The Bill of Rights is not a buffet. We cannot 'pick and choose' which we think are okay. It's all or ...

View Poll Results: How many of us 2nd amendment advocates feel the same about the 1st?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm only concerned with my 2nd amendment rights but enjoy speaking freely about that

4 3.60%
  • The first amendment is the opener to us having this discussion in the first place

9 8.11%
  • The 1st and 2nd amendments are equally important

95 85.59%
  • I think the 1st amendment sometimes infringes on my 2nd amendment rights

3 2.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    The Bill of Rights is not a buffet. We cannot 'pick and choose' which we think are okay. It's all or nothing.
    +1
    can't just pick and choose what rights you want to use.

As already said a few times, without one, the rest crumble away.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I agree that both are equally important for a free society. However, I am defining the first amendment a little differently then the ACLU tends to. They seem to define protected speech as only what they agree with, I define it a little more broadly.

The constitution, along with it's amendments, are the entire basis for what has been, and hopefully what will remain, the single most successful nation this planet has ever known. There are not any 'unimportant' parts.

Sure, there's a few things talked about that are probably not as pertinent today as they were when the constitution was written. I don't really worry much about the army taking up residence in my home these days. Not that I would be happy about it if it were to happen!

The constitution is mutually supportive. Without free speech, we couldn't debate infringements on our rights. Without the 2nd, we would loose the ability to defend our rights. Without the court system, we would have no recourse short of revolution. Without congress, we would have anarchy (though at this point, they could probably stand to take a few years off...)

Bright guys, those founding fathers were, huh?
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Bright guys, those founding fathers were, huh?
    I think they had a little bit of help back then when this was a nation of God-fearing individuals. I'd say they had Divine guidance--nowadays it might be looked at as 'foreign aid', but just the same----"One nation under God indivisible...." In God we trust and so forth. There are those who seem intent these days on ignoring the Good Lord's cares because they believe humanity has become better somehow and no longer needs guidance. These beings have no soul, and I pity them. God bless America.

2nd ammendment helps protect our other rights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links