D.C. handgun-ban backers oblivious to reality

This is a discussion on D.C. handgun-ban backers oblivious to reality within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From Washington Times I think he gets it! Article published Feb 21, 2008 D.C. handgun-ban backers oblivious to reality February 21, 2008 By Tom Knott ...

Thread: D.C. handgun-ban backers oblivious to reality

Talking D.C. handgun-ban backers oblivious to reality

From Washington Times I think he gets it!

Article published Feb 21, 2008

February 21, 2008

By Tom Knott - Since 1976, the criminals of the city have carried handguns and killed with impunity, while the law-abiding have cowered in their midst.

This is not what the D.C. Council imagined 32 years ago when it enacted what is regarded as the strictest gun-control measure in the nation. The law did not work out as envisioned, because criminals, serial killers and nut jobs who go postal do not follow the law. This elementary observation inevitably escapes the thought process of the well-meaning.

Instead, the well-meaning point to the easy availability of handguns in Maryland and Virginia being the bane on the ban in the city, which is fair enough. So let's imagine a national ban on handguns, just as there is a national ban on cocaine and heroin and other assorted substances. You know how this hypothetical ban would go down. A vast, unregulated black market suddenly would move into place to answer the demand, and the flow of handguns would remain as it ever was.

This is the reality that befuddles those politicians who endeavor to control more and more aspects of life, ostensibly to save lives. But humans, being the unruly animals that we are, find creative ways to skirt their puppeteers.

The matter of handguns in the city is before the Supreme Court now because of a security guard, Dick Anthony Heller, who thought it was the height of hypocrisy that he could carry a handgun to defend a federal building but could not keep one in his home to defend himself.

The Second Amendment case, the District of Columbia v. Heller, No. 07-290, is the first to go before the Supreme Court since 1939. Oral arguments are expected to begin next month; a ruling could come down in the summer.

I do not pretend to know how the nine justices will rule. I just know that out on the streets, far removed from the insulated federal buildings downtown and the fantasies often peddled by professors from their ivory towers, the issue of self-defense is considerably more gray.

Even in the so-called nicer parts of the city, there are streets that you dare not walk at night if you want to stay in possession of your health, money, credit cards and high-tech gadgetry.

There is something unsettling about a message that informs gang members and thugs that their prey will be unarmed and helpless. And that is the message, no matter how city lawmakers and the like-minded try to spin it otherwise.

The police cannot be everywhere at once, and, to be honest, a blood-free mugging is not high on their priority list. A mugging is the city's equivalent of a badge of honor. You are not a genuine resident of the city unless your bicycle has been stolen, your automobile has been broken into and a crackhead has visited the roof of your home looking for an entry point.

It is true that a crackhead has rights, and it would be wrong to shoot him just because he is on the roof of your home in the middle of the night. He could be a loving crackhead. Or he could be a good Samaritan crackhead who wants to patch your roof. You just never know.

But as you try to determine if it is a roof-repair crackhead or merely a crackhead who wants to rob you, it would be nice to have an instrument of persuasion in your possession.

Now I know what our lawmakers would say. Do not take the law into your hands. Call police and wait on their arrival. And that is sound advice if the crackhead is in the mood to wait on police.

Crackheads, though, are not that good about following advice. Perhaps the D.C. Council could pass a law that requires crackheads to wait on police while burglarizing a home. It might be as effective as the handgun ban.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    lol that is good.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    I wish we had more journalists like him
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

"D.C. council" and "logic" go together like "military" and "intelligence".
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I don't get it. How can there be crackheads in D.C.? I thought crack was illegal.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

JD
    Administrator
    It is true that a crackhead has rights, and it would be wrong to shoot him just because he is on the roof of your home in the middle of the night. He could be a loving crackhead. Or he could be a good Samaritan crackhead who wants to patch your roof. You just never know.

But as you try to determine if it is a roof-repair crackhead or merely a crackhead who wants to rob you, it would be nice to have an instrument of persuasion in your possession.

Crackheads, though, are not that good about following advice. Perhaps the D.C. Council could pass a law that requires crackheads to wait on police while burglarizing a home. It might be as effective as the handgun ban.
    If the author could see it, I'd give him a standing ovation!

Wow. This guy's good!

"Call police and wait on their arrival. And that is sound advice if the crackhead is in the mood to wait on police.

Crackheads, though, are not that good about following advice. Perhaps the D.C. Council could pass a law that requires crackheads to wait on police while burglarizing a home. It might be as effective as the handgun ban. "

From the Post.....?!? I like!

Those last few sentences made me grin........truth in humor.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    All so true and all so simple.

Yet it is ignored, often with vehemence and shrillness. I cannot understand why.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Not the "Post", but the "Times"

This article is not from the Washington Post, but from the Washington Times. Heaven knows, the left-wing Post would never, ever in a hundred years, print this article, no matter how much truth is might contain.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    All so true and all so simple.

Yet it is ignored, often with vehemence and shrillness. I cannot understand why.
    Randy,

It is because "Gun-Control" is not about guns. It is about Control.

JMHO.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I say that any place that bans private gun ownership should also have to disarm their police as well, if it is a US State, then that should apply to their National Guard as well, then they can see just how peaceful their town,city, county or state really is...

that was awesome. I like the part on the mandatory waiting period for burgularizing a home.

"call the cops and wait their arrival" actually, I would doubly scared of DC cops with weapons drawn walking around the area. Elements of the department have been known to unload all their ammo first and then asked questions later.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

that was fantastic, thanks for posting it.
    Jack dog

Sponsored Links