Brady email says Heller = Insurrectionism

This is a discussion on Brady email says Heller = Insurrectionism within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; February 21, 2008 Forward to a Friend > Insurrectionism: A Real Threat to America I am writing to call your attention to a blog I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brady email says Heller = Insurrectionism

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

February 21, 2008
    Forward to a Friend >

Insurrectionism: A Real Threat to America

I am writing to call your attention to a blog I authored that appeared yesterday on the Huffington Post.

The title of the blog is “Will the U.S. Supreme Court Endorse a Right to Armed Revolt Against Government?” and it addresses the historical Second Amendment case that will be heard by the Court next month, Heller v. District of Columbia.

Donate Now!The Supreme Court will be reviewing a decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit that declared the District of Columbia’s handgun ban unconstitutional. That decision marked the first time in history that a federal appellate court has struck down a gun law on Second Amendment grounds. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit also became the first to declare that the Second Amendment has an “insurrectionist” purpose. Essentially, the court ruled that individuals have a right to take up private firearms to defend against the “depredations of a tyrannical government.”

The recent tragic shootings in Missouri at a city council meeting are a grim reminder of what such anti-government violence looks like in practice. Many Americans will also forever remember Timothy McVeigh’s bombing of the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City in 1995. When McVeigh committed this heinous act, he wore a t-shirt emblazoned with a quote from Thomas Jefferson: “THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS.”

I believe that pro-gun extremists have twisted the meaning of our Constitution and the Second Amendment by promoting vigilante “justice” over the rule of law and governance by democratic institutions. For the sake of our democracy and the safety of America’s families, I believe it is imperative that the Supreme Court reject their insurrectionist premise.

I do hope you enjoy the blog and feel free to leave comments there with your own thoughts on this important issue.

Best regards,

Josh Horwitz
    Executive Director

The Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence
    1023 15th St., NW, Ste. 301, Washington, DC 20005
    202-408-7560 | development@csgv.org

If you have received this message from a friend, please visit Home - CSGV.org and sign up for information on our activities. When you register, you can modify your email communication preferences, make a personal profile or remove yourself from all email lists and visit the site whenever you please.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    *gags*
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Essentially, the court ruled that individuals have a right to take up private firearms to defend against the "predations of a tyrannical government."
    A disarmed people has no such ability and is no longer free. A free people has the ability to defend itself against the predations of others ... official or otherwise. The distinction is as stark as that. A people subject to the will of others merely owns a set of pads.

The headlong rush to disarm the people has dozens of heinous examples in history, from Hitler on down. It is what it is: refusal to accept the people's right to govern themselves and guard against predation in whatever form it manifests itself.

I believe that pro-gun extremists have twisted the meaning of our Constitution and the Second Amendment by promoting vigilante justice over the rule of law and governance by democratic institutions.
    The People hold the reins of power, in a government of the people, by the people and for the people. The people have not forked over the right to defend themselves merely because there's a police force hired to fill in the blanks, an army to withstand invasion at the outer borders, and a governing group of elected members to debate common policy.

Self-protection <> vigilante justice. To claim otherwise is to suggest that anyone who lifts a finger in his own defense is a criminal, and all such actions are criminal acts. That sort of lunacy is what caused a subject people to rebel and throw off the yoke of oppression in the 1700's (USA).

For the sake of our democracy and the safety of America's families, I believe it is imperative that the Supreme Court reject their insurrectionist premise.
    For the sake of democracy, I'll retain my ability to withstand predation and tyranny, thank you very much. I can only hope the People as a group retains its sanity long enough to recognize that once disarmed it forever loses the reins of its own power.

It's the only thing that places a true, ultimate limit on a tyrannical hand, whether that be the hand of criminals, criminals in official guise, or anyone else. So long as the People remain armed, then self-governance will remain the primary power of the People.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"Essentially, the court ruled that individuals have a right to take up private firearms to defend against the €œdepredations of a tyrannical government."

Uuhhh....yeah. Our founding fathers and the country itself had just done that very thing when/while this was being written. It's kinda important, ya think?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Hahaha. I wonder if they can even take theirselves seriously when they write this stuff. Do they laugh at it in their own offices?
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    Are they brain dead?

Oh yeah they are....sorry forgot.
    You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Sounds like he understands the issue quite well, and doesn't like the idea that someone might have the audacity to say they don't like what the government is doing and have the means to put a stop to it. Seems likely that he is one of the "educated, elitist, liberal wackos."

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Uuhhh....yeah. Our founding fathers and the country itself had just done that very thing when/while this was being written. It's kinda important, ya think?
    Foreign and domestic. The Founders understood quite well and knew exactly the risks of not stating things that clearly.

It's the entire point of the Bill Of Rights, to make doubly clear for all time the inviolability of core principles. Well, they're being baldly violated, now, despite being the cornerstones of a nation, tossed aside as if mere inconveniences to "the rule of law." In reality, they are the foundations of that rule ... and the Bradys of the world know full well that's true.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I will defend myself by any means necessary. I want all possible means to be at my disposal.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    It seems the only thing that might change an anti's opinion is an up close and personal nasty experience with a BG who's successfully learned to manipulate the system. I know, it's a stretch, but it can happen!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The only legitimate government of the United States is one which follows the contract with the people that is called The Constitution and The Bill of Rights.

The purpose of the Second Amendment is not insurrection, but to allow the people to remove by what ever means necessary any politician who breaches that contract with the people.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Angry

The only threat to America is the moron that wrote the article.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    He thinks there'll be an insurrection, Let him come to my place trying to spew that crap or take my guns, I'll insurrect his sorry
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

"The recent tragic shootings in Missouri at a city council meeting are a grim reminder of what such anti-government violence looks like in practice."

So if I get this straight, those of us that are legal, responsible gun owners are on a hair trigger to start shooting government officials.

When I swore my oath to protect the "Constitution of the United States" from all enemy's "Foreign and domestic. " I feel that they are the "Domestic" enemy's in that oath!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links