More Insanity In Oakland, CA.

This is a discussion on More Insanity In Oakland, CA. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Oakland, CA city council is asking the PD to draft a plan for "voluntary" residential searches for illegal guns. From the Oakland Tribune: Council ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Insanity In Oakland, CA.

1943 - 2009

The Oakland, CA city council is asking the PD to draft a plan for "voluntary" residential searches for illegal guns.

From the Oakland Tribune:

Council asks police to draft gun-search plan - Inside Bay Area

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I can't believe St. Louis and Boston beat Oakland to it! Oakland is a bad town, and I refused a great job because it was in Oakland. All of the apartment ads contained wording such as "high security, and protected parking",not something you see in every ad in most cities. Their solution is ridiculous, but it is in the Bay Area, where logic is illegal.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Thumbs down

Searches may already be done ... with cause, and with a judge's review and signing of a warrant. That guards against much of the abuse, since it demands that the searches pass muster with a second, disinterested party.

This, however, smacks of third-world totalitarianism. Katrina-level catastrophe, indeed, though in a way starkly different than suggested in the article.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Why is it I get spells of near abject depression these days? ....... because of this kinda stuff that I read or hear about.

I keep wondering too about ''oaths of office'' - seems the constitution is being buried time and time again.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Searches may already be done ... with cause, and with a judge's review and signing of a warrant. That guards against much of the abuse, since it demands that the searches pass muster with a second, disinterested party.

This, however, smacks of third-world totalitarianism. Katrina-level catastrophe, indeed, though in a way starkly different than suggested in the article.
    I'm sure glad I don't live there. But....I wonder how much "cause" a CA judge would need to sign a warrant?

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    This looks like another case of government trying to do something that parents should be doing...

but it is in the Bay Area, where logic is illegal.
    Why is it I get spells of near abject depression these days? ....... because of this kinda stuff that I read or hear about.
    No way. Is that possible? Volunteers? If they don't get volunteers---what then?

VIP Member
    "The leading cause of death in these homicides is guns," she said.
    Well, heck, if Oakland has all these guns running around killing people all by themselves, they should be out there searching for them! We can't have sentient, murderous hunks of wood, metal and plastic out there killing whomever they want!

Seriously, these are searches WITH CONSENT, nothing new there. Don't want to be searched? Say no. End of story. (Of course, the potential for abuse exists, but that potential always exists. In Boston, the city had a huge PR program to inform people of their rights before the police went knocking - I will give Oakland the benefit of the doubt and assume that they will do something similar. As long as it is done legally - both within the letter and the spirit of the 4th Amendment - I don't see a problem with these "knock and ask" searches.)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

God, I'm so glad i live in Texas...

Cops - Can we search your house?
    BG's - No,I don't think so!
    Cops - Ok, thanks for your time, sorry to bother you!
    BG's - <smirk, laugh>
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Pass the Patriot Act! Look for the Bad Guys and Kill 'em whenever necessary.

VIP Member
    *knock knock*
    "Yes officer?"
    "May I come in and search your house for illegal guns?"
    "WHAT!!!! Do I looks stupid??!!"
    "Well sir.....you do live in Oakland!!"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I wish sheeple would see the Oath of Office as a verbal contract with the voters. We see "leaders" breach their contracts every day. Recall the idiots on the grounds they violated the Constitution and the contract.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Seriously, these are searches WITH CONSENT, nothing new there. Don't want to be searched? Say no. End of story.
    Yeah, OPFOR has the crux of it here. Based on the media coverage of the Boston version of this, it seems primarily to be a harsh indictment of parenting and Nanny State syndrome. Most of these searches are consented to by parents who think their kids have illegal guns, but said parents don't have the cojones to do anything about it themselves.

Let the police solve all your problems!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

But in what way will they know if they are illegal, by confiscating all guns they find to search the database at the hq. Even legal gun owners that consent would be without their means of protection from the thugs.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    But in what way will they know if they are illegal, by confiscating all guns they find to search the database at the hq. Even legal gun owners that consent would be without their means of protection from the thugs.
    It seems unlikely that they would confiscate a gun from an adult, legal owner that could prove said ownership. The intent of the searches, as I understand them, is to check in the rooms of minors, when the parents are too scared or apathetic (or absent) to do it themselves.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links