New Orleans Begins GUN CONFISCATIONS of Legally Owned Civilian Weapons - Page 2

New Orleans Begins GUN CONFISCATIONS of Legally Owned Civilian Weapons

This is a discussion on New Orleans Begins GUN CONFISCATIONS of Legally Owned Civilian Weapons within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I personaly feel the camera crew would try and make the police officers look bad no matter what. I believe under the conditions where the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Begins GUN CONFISCATIONS of Legally Owned Civilian Weapons

I personaly feel the camera crew would try and make the police officers look bad no matter what. I believe under the conditions where the food stuff will be spoiled and and these guys had to eat I would not feel they were stealing or doing a dirty deed. They have to eat to remain in a reasonable frame of mind to do their job. I defer to their common sense and need to survive also. It does upset me that police officers are disarming the people, I don't mean the bad guys but Mom and Pop just trying to survive. When a police office crosses the line of our Constitution and its protection offered I believe it takes away from his person.
    (Sorry for my spelling, I get letters out of order etc. sometimes I think it is my keyboard)
    Last edited by FortyFive; September 9th, 2005 at 12:06 PM.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Doesn't surprise me, and ditto to all of the above. Just one more reason I live outside urban/suburban areas. Way outside.
    buzzg

P.S. As to the NO police (can't bring myself to call 'em cops) have a long, documented history of corruption on the street and in the ranks of the brass.

buzzg

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Guns officer??
    What guns??

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Of course they will only wind up disarming the good people while the bad people will hide out and wait. -Scott-
    That's worth posting again - that's the effect of gun control - BGs have guns, GGs don't.

That is what they want - a permanant emergency. there is nothing so permamant as a temporary emergency, especially when it solidifies and consolidates power in the hands of the very few. LA law states the governor or mayor simply has to sign an order re-establishing the emergency every 30 days....
    With armed looters, disarmed victims, etc, there is an obvious "need" for continuos personal disarmament, until they can do away with that pesky Constitution altogether...
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I've written to 3 of the Fox news programs that reported on this, including O'Reilly. Fox sometimes gets involved in this sort of thing with investigative reporting, like the various UN scandals.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    You know, in every major event that I have had to work groups like the Red Cross have come and set up to provide food and drink for us. We've had several large structure fires in our facilites and they came and really took care of us. A couple of the local eateries provided bags of food for them to bring us during such situations. I can't imagine what it would be like having to pull duty like these folks are having to pull with no such support structure behind us.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Administrator

Combat

I did not know that & that makes a huge difference to me.
    I don't ever like to see cops slip up.
    Honestly...I was never too impressed by the Orleans PD regardless.
    Even before Katrina.
    I think the whole damn town is slightly crooked from the Mayor on down.
    That's just my (gut feeling) opinion though & I sure hope I'm wrong about it.

"As a cop, I was very ticked of about such behavior about other cops, then I got the entire story on it. The film was edited, in at least one instance, to show what looked to be cops pilfering alongside looters. It turns out that there were cops in a Walmart getting some items and were caught on film. What the film doesn't show is that the cops were getting food items because they hadn't eaten in days either and were actually given orders to find food wherever they can find it. That being said I am sure that some officers probably did take part in blatant thievery, and I don't defend or tolerate that."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1952 - 2006
    The gun confiscation in NO has me on edge as it does you Chris. It's just flat wrong!!

"At the discretion of 'Your' Government, we have decided to suspend the Second Amendment of the Constitution just for a little while, just for your own safety."

What kind of simple-minded liberal sheepdip for brains bureaucrat came up with this idea?

This could start an ugly trend with 'our' government boys and girls. Once they start to get away with it, they ain't gonna stop.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    The gun confiscation in NO has me on edge as it does you Chris. It's just flat wrong!!

"At the discretion of 'Your' Government, we have decided to suspend the Second Amendment of the Constitution just for a little while, just for your own safety."

What kind of simple-minded liberal sheepdip for brains bureaucrat came up with this idea?

This could start an ugly trend with 'our' government boys and girls. Once they start to get away with it, they ain't gonna stop.

THats what im worried about they might go hey this worked pretty good lets try it out elsewhere..

Also iw onder if there have been anyshoot outs over this or and of the old you can have it from my cold dead hands

Tank Soldier:
    Don't expect support from O'Reilly. He is staunchly in favor of "gun control" and doesn't think law abiding citizens have any need to have guns. He skirts around the issue unless he is pressed into taking a stand, but he ain't on our side.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    All of the sudden everybody believes everything they read in one news story? When did that happen? Has anybody noticed that this is the ONLY story that is being quoted regarding the confiscation of firearms. Let me tell you what I have personally observed. Not heard via rumor or press...but personally observed:

NOPD cops have asked civilians not to carry openly...to keep weapons concealed. Several civilians were asked to return their firearms to their residences before evacuating because they were not allowed to bring the weapons onto National Guard vehicles. Some civilians have asked NOPD to secure their firearms (and gotten a receipt) because they want to evacuate and don't want to leave them in their abandoned home (I'm not saying I think that is a wise choice...just saying it is happening). Not one single NOPD Officer I spoke to has actually "confiscated" a legally owned firearm. There are plenty of bad cops in NOPD, but the vast majority are good cops who have stayed to fight for their city and citizens. Almost every NOPD cop I know is very gun friendly. Keep in mind, most of these guys/gals are REFUSING to enforce the mandatory evacuation order the Mayor gave. THey are encouraging people to leave, but they are not dragging anybody out. They certainly know how to get around orders that they don't believe are in line with the Constitution.

Anybody who knows me knows that I am a staunch supporter of gun rights and citizens protecting themselves. They certainly have the right to do so especially in a time/place like New Orleans. All I'm saying is, we normally doubt everything the press reports and all of the sudden, one story comes out and it must be the gospel truth. Find out all of the true facts before you condemn the cops/soldiers who are actually boots on the ground, risking their lives in what amounts to a combat zone.

Please let me clarify here: IF it turns out to be accurate and true that troops/cops are kicking in doors, searching houses for guns, and taking them, then it is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! It could not be more wrong. I believe that law abiding citizens have the right to own and carry firearms. I don't know how to make that any more clear, and yet I still feel I'm going to be misunderstood. The day I am asked to work outside of the Constitution as I understand and interprete it is the day I will turn in my badge and look for a new career. All I am saying is don't believe everything you see/read in the news. I can go back with the search function and show you member quotes over and over that state "Don't believe the press", "The media lies", "The media distorts", etc, etc, etc. Well, they still do. (Heck...see
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ghlight=Media). Don't believe everything you read.

Respectfully,
    Gonzo

PS - Yes, I'm down here working, so I get to see it first hand.

PPS - I don't think there is any way to get around the fact that the two female NOPD Officers in Walmart were looting. They were shoe shopping, for pete's sake. And not for work boots or waders.
    Last edited by TheGreatGonzo; September 10th, 2005 at 10:35 AM.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Assistant Administrator
    I saw the news vid of the old lady being all but dragged out, and her revo and knife taken - by the CHP. It didn't sit too well I have to admit.

Other stories are trickling in but I would like to think very much, that this is being exaggerated. We will see. Another few days and the facts should clarify.

This was posted elsewhere by someone, slightly heartening
    I think part of the issue is there seems to be a question about the extent of confiscation. We all saw the ABC video clip; but just last night the Washington Post reported a SWAT team patrolling the same area and encountering armed home owners (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9261560/).

In this case, the SWAT team did not disarm them even though they were openly carrying weapons. So apparently the practice isn't widespread which probably complicates the NRA response.
    To add - I think we react so badly because the 2A is so dear to us and anything that threatens it does get us fired up very quick - sometimes possibly too quick.

Oh and Gonzo - watch your six dude and stay safe.

`
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I saw the news vid of the old lady being all but dragged out, and her revo and knife taken - by the CHP. It didn't sit too well I have to admit.

Other stories are trickling in but I would like to think very much, that this is being exaggerated. We will see. Another few days and the facts should clarify.

This was posted elsewhere by someone, slightly heartening

To add - I think we react so badly because the 2A is so dear to us and anything that threatens it does get us fired up very quick - sometimes possibly too quick.

Oh and Gonzo - watch your six dude and stay safe.

`

Well, the CHP is from Cali...and we all know how they feel about guns in Cali. That could have something to do with it. Honestly, I have not seen the video so I don't know. I have not had a lot of access to news until very recently. All of the stories I have seen revolve around the one, initial story. Nothing independant of that. Not saying there are not any...I just have not seen them.

I understand being defensive of dwindling gun rights. I am certainly defensive of them myself. I may be a cop, but I'm a citizen first. I put my money and my vote where I believe they will do the most good.

As for watching my six and staying safe, believe me, I am trying. I have a lot of good back up down here (INCLUDING armed citizens). It is difficult to make a quick transition from storm victim to storm first responder, but you suck it up, knuckle down, cowboy up, and do the job you swore to do. Thanks bro.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links