The Reality of Heller - From a liberal

This is a discussion on The Reality of Heller - From a liberal within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Neat read: A liberal's lament: The NRA might be right after all - Opinion - USATODAY.com...

Thread: The Reality of Heller - From a liberal

The Reality of Heller - From a liberal

The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

Wow, I mean WOW!!!
    I just wish they hadn't of added
    This does not mean that Charlton Heston is the new Rosa Parks or that no restrictions can be placed on gun ownership.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    And there is still this problem:
    More important, the mere reference to a purpose of the Second Amendment does not alter the fact that an individual right is created.
    Once again, the Bill of Rights does not create anything. It acknowledges fundamental rights and limits the power of the federal government, and this seems to be the biggest oversight by the anti-2A crowd.

But overall, yes, I have seen a couple of pieces like this since Heller was accepted by SCOTUS, and it is, indeed, refreshing.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    To quote the Preamble to the BOR:

Congress of the United States begun and held at the City of New-York, on Wednesday the fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.
    THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution. ...
    I do find it ironic that Congress was held "at the City of New-York" to amend the Constitution with the Bill of Rights.

This is 'the land of the free'. Free people do not depend on words to grant the right of self-defense. If the Second Amendment were deleted entirely, would I not have the right to bear arms?

As mentioned by kazzaerexys, the writer makes a critical error -- an error which reveals specifically that he is not a free man. I wish him the best; he is very close. I find a quote from The Matrix to be apropos:

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere, it is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, or when you go to church or when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
    Neo: What truth?
    Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch. A prison for your mind. (long pause, sighs) Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.
    (In his left hand, Morpheus shows a blue pill.)
    Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. (Long pause; Neo begins to reach for the red pill) Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.
    (Neo takes the red pill and swallows it with a glass of water)

VIP Member
    First, do we know this is a liberal writing this? I hope it really is. Like said before, It's refreshing to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    First, do we know this is a liberal writing this? I hope it really is. Like said before, It's refreshing to hear.
    Jonathan Turley is definitely a liberal. At least by my definition of a liberal!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Very intresting read
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post

He's a frequent guest on Air America radio and Keith Olbermann's countdown. Here's his bio: Jonathan Turley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's not just a liberal, he's a big, big name in liberal circles.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I'm glad he's finally being honest about it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    Glad to read this, it is time that the 2nd admendment get the same treatment as the 1st.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The delegates attending the Continental Congress based their defense of liberty as a natural right granted to all men on the ideas of John Locke. Locke believed that such rights were natural, reasonable rights. In a "state of nature," all men seek to protect their life, liberty, and property. But as the strong can use their power to deprive the weak of liberty, governments are instituted to protect the rights of all. But, if the government becomes too powerful and does not protect these rights, then the people have the obligation to remove that government (revolt) and replace it with a government that does respect and protect the rights of all.

Thats the short version as why the 2a exsists, and its refreshing to see that turley is understanding his liberal roots.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    The delegates attending the Continental Congress based their defense of liberty as a natural right granted to all men on the ideas of John Locke. Locke believed that such rights were natural, reasonable rights. In a "state of nature," all men seek to protect their life, liberty, and property. But as the strong can use their power to deprive the weak of liberty, governments are instituted to protect the rights of all. But, if the government becomes too powerful and does not protect these rights, then the people have the obligation to remove that government (revolt) and replace it with a government that does respect and protect the rights of all.

Thats the short version as why the 2a exsists, and its refreshing to see that turley is understanding his liberal roots.
    Well said, indeed!

VIP Member
    and here I thought that John Locke was just the bad guy on Lost.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Links