Received This Today From My US Congressman - A Democrat

This is a discussion on Received This Today From My US Congressman - A Democrat within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dear Mr. Xxxxxx, The Supreme Court will decide this spring in District of Columbia v Heller, which is expected to be the one of the ...

Thread: Received This Today From My US Congressman - A Democrat

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Received This Today From My US Congressman - A Democrat

Dear Mr. Xxxxxx,

The Supreme Court will decide this spring in District of Columbia v Heller, which is expected to be the one of the most prominent gun rights case of the century. Knowing your interests, I wanted to inform you on current action I have taken to secure our Second Amendment rights.

Since 1976, the District of Columbia has banned handguns, and requires rifles and shotguns to be registered, stored unloaded and either locked or disassembled. In the Heller decision in March 2007, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled that the existing law violates an individual's Second Amendment rights because it "amounts to a complete prohibition on the lawful use of handguns for self-defense."

On February 7, 2008, I signed onto the amicus curiae brief to the Supreme Court in support of the Court affirming the Heller decision (previously known as Parker v. District of Columbia) and opposing the District of Columbia law as currently written.

First and foremost, the case poses a very basic question of interpretation of the scope of the rights granted by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. The District of Columbia's complete ban of handgun ownership by citizens rests on the legal claim that the Second Amendment does not extend to individuals, but rather pertains only to "well regulated militias."

Legal scholars have debated this issue for many years and a school of thought had developed that asserts the Founding Fathers only carved out the right of gun ownership in the context of the Revolutionary War experience when state militias provided the means to resist British occupation of the colonies. According to this interpretation, the framers did not intend individuals to have any right to bear arms, and thus jurisdictions such as Washington D.C. would be free to ban gun ownership of individuals in their homes.

However, I support a notion shared by leading legal minds of our generation that the scope of the Second Amendment was clearly aimed at individual's rights as well as "organized militias." That is why I signed on to the brief, circulated by Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson of Texas, Representative Mike Ross of Arkansas and Representative Mike Souder of Indiana.

Should you have any additional comments or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me in the future. For more information on my views on other issues or to see what I have been working on in Congress, please feel free to visit my official website at Representative Joe Courtney and sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,

JOSEPH COURTNEY
    Member of Congress
    It was refreshing to read this from a Democratic Rep. in a largely Democratic state. It just may cause me to vote for him next time he is up for re-election, namely this fall.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

from a Democrat? That just cant be, they cant think like this.

My brain hurts ;-)

But great to hear at least some politicians have a brain.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Don't forget, it is an election year and they want the gun vote.

Is this position consistent with his stated stance?

BTW, is Xxxxxx really your last name? If so, how do you pronounce that?
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; February 28th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Don't forget, it is an election year and they want the gun vote.

Is this position consistent with his stated stance?
    +1

They will tell you exactly what you want to hear in an election year
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Check the NRA status for him. There are actually a few Democrats that recieve A+ from the NRA. Pro Gun stance crosses political parties. It just seems lately that the Republicans have more Pro Gun people. The Republicans also have a lot of Anti Gun people as well. It is best to allways check their record regardless of their Political leaning.

Election year=what you want to hear!!! I can assure you that won't be the case if they actually take office......

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Check the NRA status for him. There are actually a few Democrats that recieve A+ from the NRA. Pro Gun stance crosses political parties. It just seems lately that the Republicans have more Pro Gun people. The Republicans also have a lot of Anti Gun people as well. It is best to always check their record regardless of their Political leaning.
    Good call raevan. I checked the NRA's site for the last election cycle, and was graded as an 'F'. Either he has changed his stripes (not likely), or he is pandering to every voter that he can.

Anyhow, I will check his NRA rating again in the fall when the new ones come out.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

The GOA is carrying Courtney as NR-not rated. Their ratings have not been updated since April, 2007.

He signed the amicus curiae brief, that's pretty good for me...at least he signed it. Maybe having anti's signing a brief like that will lend more credence to it than if just red meat republican's had signed it. And it just goes to show how outlandish the DC ban is...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Links