Obama wants to protect our rights to "fish" with guns - Page 2

Obama wants to protect our rights to "fish" with guns

This is a discussion on Obama wants to protect our rights to "fish" with guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by samh Back in my younger days, I fished with a gun a few times, kind'a noisy though. Mine kept getting snagged on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    Back in my younger days, I fished with a gun a few times, kind'a noisy though.
    Mine kept getting snagged on the bottom.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Can the OP or somebody furnish a link or other verification? I would think some pundit could have a field day with Mr. Obama admitting that the 2A is an individual right, while at the same time talking about gun bans. Domestic enemy???
    Last edited by paramedic70002; February 29th, 2008 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Add info
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    And so I respect the right of lawful gun owners to hunt, fish, protect their families."
    He's from Chicago. He has a history of not backing the right of people to carry in their own defense. He's on record as backing gun bans. He is not on record, so far as I can tell, of backing of the 2A-guaranteed right to possess firearms as a means of defense. Apparently, the 2A suits him only when he's got something to sell. Like so many with power on their minds, it's corrupting his senses. Domestic enemy indeed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Can the OP furnish a link or other verification? I would think some pundit could have a field day with Mr. Obama admitting that the 2A is an individual right, while at the same time talking about gun bans. Domestic enemy???
    I'm not the OP, but here's an article about it.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Can the OP or somebody furnish a link or other verification?
    Here is a link to a Wall Street Journal article indicating the quote came from a December 5, 2007, talk on the campus of Cornell College: click.

I have yet to find a transcript of that speech he delivered.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

just for edification

All ya'all ever-dry landlubbers don't understand how some things are done. These spearguns are pretty hard to carry concealed in a wetsuit. Okay, they are not typically considered firearms because they use no powder.

Well, we do have gunpowder in .357, .44, and the far more common 12 ga bangsticks for self-defense. Those are good both fishin underwater and for (gator) huntin, which can often be a mix of above and below the waterline.

We also have somethin called a slurpgun, but those are not necessarily lethal and have no role in self-defense
    Attached Images

I hate to burst your bubbles. But here in the Puget Sound area and up in Alaska Sport Fisherman fish with guns all the time. When you catch a Flounder that weighs over 200 LB You have to shoot it in the head before bringing it in the boat or it will tear your boat apart. I always carry a pistol while fishing in the Puget Sound just in case I hook a monster.

fishing the rivers in texas requires a handgun in the boat because the cat fish are bigger than the boat. (ha ha).. I do carry for snakes etc.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Well, with Roy Schnider needed a Garand to stop a shark, john kerry used grendades to fish in Viet Nam, and the Mythbusters using a minigun to actually shoot a fish in a barrel Senator Obama maybe on to something
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Well, we all have certain 5th Amendment rights against Self-Incrimination.

Bearing that in mind, I can state, hypotheticallly speaking, of course, and only hypothetically, that firearms can very effectively harvest fish (if they are pretty near the surface). But I have never fished in any waters where such an activity had been given the seal of approval by the local game and fish folks, so nothing I have said here is any way meant to imply first-hand personal knowledge of such activity.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I hate to burst your bubbles. But here in the Puget Sound area and up in Alaska Sport Fisherman fish with guns all the time. When you catch a Flounder that weighs over 200 LB You have to shoot it in the head before bringing it in the boat or it will tear your boat apart. I always carry a pistol while fishing in the Puget Sound just in case I hook a monster.

Not to nit-pick, but I believe you are referring to a halibut. I have never heard of flounders coming anywhere near that big..

But you are right about one thing, when I go to the salmon streams here in Alaska, I am not the only one carrying, that's for sure..

The leaders of the liberal side of the argument such as Obama are still the same. They are still trying to make the case that the second amendment is about hunting. This time he goes overboard and mentioned fishing as well...

Let's just get one thing straight. The 2nd amendment is not about duck hunting! It's not about fishing! We all know what it's about. When are they ever going to get it?
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

gone fishing with a gun before. the was a nice sized lake inside the saftey box of an artillery range i was on. one round he fuze delay and i was eatin good that night.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links