Thorn in the Brady Campaign side.

This is a discussion on Thorn in the Brady Campaign side. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of their main focus points right now is the death of children (READ - under 21) from guns. Accidental shootings, school shootings, you get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thorn in the Brady Campaign side.

Thorn in the Brady Campaign side.

One of their main focus points right now is the death of children (READ - under 21) from guns. Accidental shootings, school shootings, you get the picture.

The numbers of deaths from guns is LOW by comparison to auto accidents, influenza, neglect, poverty, drug use, blah blah blah. Other easily preventable causes.

I am going to keep my eye out locally for deaths by any cause and email them to the BC, and keep a running toll.

Over the last month there have been several minors killed in auto accidents - EXTREME auto accidents. 1 had three kids in a car doing 120 and tried to make a right turn, hit a light pole and obliterated the car. This was at 1am. Colorado has a law in place that if driver under 18 is driving, they are not allowed to have any others (under 18) in the car unless there is a person over 18 or something close to that effect.

Anybody else up for this?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

The fact that they count gang killings in the number also inflates the numbers. They should SUBTRACT the gang killings from the rest; that would be fair!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    The fact that they count gang killings in the number also inflates the numbers. They should SUBTRACT the gang killings from the rest; that would be fair!
    "Fair" is not part of the BC program. Posting and showing information in their favor, no matter how it is obtained is the program.

Maybe someone should start an "Anti Brady Campaign" website that challenges all their stats with documented facts, and the sources of those facts as well as verifying where they got their numbers.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    "Fair" is not part of the BC program. Posting and showing information in their favor, no matter how it is obtained is the program.

Maybe someone should start an "Anti Brady Campaign" website that challenges all their stats with documented facts, and the sources of those facts as well as verifying where they got their numbers.
    A close look at their info already shows that they distort statistics and misquote things constantly. I doubt that pointing out their errors will get us anywhere. I like the antibrady website...

www.antibrady.com is available! Any takers?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I am not sure what numbers you are referencing but why shouldn't gang killing be included. Are those deaths not important? Maybe they should also include those killed by guns while on military dury. Wouldn't you include deaths killed by gangs who ran over a child or a military vehicle that ran over a child.

To just compare vehicle death and gun death numbers is not a logical comparision but both are tragic and neither should be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am not sure what numbers you are referencing but why shouldn't gang killing be included. Are those deaths not important? Maybe they should also include those killed by guns while on military dury. Wouldn't you include deaths killed by gangs who ran over a child or a military vehicle that ran over a child.

To just compare vehicle death and gun death numbers is not a logical comparision but both are tragic and neither should be ignored.
    I'm quite sure he is talking about gang on gang killings. And when one gang is shooting at another gang because they are taking fire from the other gang who is getting back at the original gang for popping someone in the other gang, then no, it shouldn't really be counted.

The reason people compare firearm related deaths to swimming pools, drunk drivers, hammers, etc. is because in all these other cases the object is never demonized. They rightly blame the people for negligence or original intent. How many times have you heard from politicians that we should ban cars for the safety of the children after a drunk driver slams into a school bus? How may times have you heard politicians try to ban in-ground pools when a child drowns? How many times have you heard politicians blame the hammer when a drunk husband kills the wife with the hammer from the garage? Now, how many times have you heard a politician blame the gun for the deaths the owner causes? they go on the nightly news and say that if there weren't any guns there wouldn't be any problems so lets ban them.

You are right about one thing. All these deaths are tragic. But in all these cases, it isn't the inanimate objects fault. it is the fault of the person behind the wheel/gun/hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    How may times have you heard politicians try to ban in-ground pools when a child drowns?
    Actually I have heard of this more than once and fences are now required if not by law in all places then by insurance companies. An in-ground pool is considered a "attractive nuisance" (I can't remember the proper term) but if you have one then you are responsible for keeping children out of it. There have been many cases where an owner was sued for someone getting hurt or killed in a pool due to their stupidity. I know of one case where a motel owner ran neighborhood kids off several times and even called their parents to tell the to keep their children away. One of the kids drowned in it and the owner was sued and had to pay because of the meer face that the pool was an attraction to the kids and he didn't put a guard there to keep them out. Notice that most pools no longer have diving boards due to lawsuits from people not knowing how to dive.

Inantimate objests are blamed for deaths many times. How many toys have been banned for killing children?

Please be nice to the Brady bunch. Think about how much those poor people have suffered, and are still suffering.

I can think of no group, with an agenda, that has suffered more, or bigger losses over the last 15 years then the Brady bunch.

How many states have adopted shall issue ccw, castle laws, etc., not to mention the expiration of the awb and the upcoming Supreme Court ruling to name just a few. Have mercy.

Ken

You're wasting your time...the Brady's couldn't care less about the facts...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You're wasting your time...the Brady's couldn't care less about the facts...
    I agree. You can email to your heart's content and it will change not one thing about their opinion.

You would be better off spending your time educating people to the benefits of gun ownership like, like going to the range all the time (read getting out of the house), supporting big corporations like Wally World (read buying ammo), etc, etc, etc.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

gang on gang shootings

No gang on gang shooting should not count.
    The gang member who prevails should get a metal for job well done!

I won't be as vigilant as CTMike (I think I got his name right) in finding Good, Bad, Ugly reports, just local stuff when it hits the news. Time consumption will be minimal and indeed, a thorn in their side. Someone has to deal with it on their end, and it takes up space.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

So, if the Brady Bunch were REALLY honest, they'd not only keep track of how many kids were killed with guns but they would also report how many people their group caused to also be killed over the years. After all, fair is fair.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

I think the Brady folks would rule out any info from us no matter what. I'm not sure what the answer is but we need to somehow get to folks that "matter".

Writing letters and e-mails to our politicians is a start. I've recently exchanged a couple of e-mails with one of the candidates for State Attorney here. She expressed an interest in discussing Second Amendment and CCW. She claims she is in favor. Of course, I recognize she is trying to get elected but it is a chance to speak with someone that might make a difference. I'll meet with her since our current State Attorney is a champion of plea bargains. He has never seen a felony he wouldn't bargain down to a misdemeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I agree. You can email to your heart's content and it will change not one thing about their opinion.

You would be better off spending your time educating people to the benefits of gun ownership like, like going to the range all the time (read getting out of the house), supporting big corporations like Wally World (read buying ammo), etc, etc, etc.

Instead of big corps how about small business owners? They need us more than some giant corp who is only out to make money by exploiting cheap outsourced goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links