My e-mail to Sears re their no carry policy...

This is a discussion on My e-mail to Sears re their no carry policy... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is a purported policy statement floating around the internet that Sears has stated a no carry (gun) in Sears stores. Over 35 states now ...

Thread: My e-mail to Sears re their no carry policy...

Senior Moderator

My e-mail to Sears re their no carry policy...

There is a purported policy statement floating around the internet that Sears has stated a no carry (gun) in Sears stores.

Over 35 states now issue carry permits to citizens and those who choose to exercise their 2nd Amendment right to carry a weapon have proven to be very responsible citizens.

Any business that disallows responsible citizens from discretely carrying in their place of business does two things. One it violates a Constitutional protected right. Second and equally important, it strips good citizens of the ability to protect themselves while coming into and out of the business as well as while in the business.

So, if you don't allow me to carry in your store, what have you done to provide for my and my family's protection while we are in your store or in your parking lot?

Protection of customers may seem trivial to you, but did you read or see about the guy who drove up in a Walmart parking lot and shot and killed two Walmart employees?

So, again, if we can't discretely carry our guns to protect ourselves on your premises, what measures are you taking to protect us from a deadly attack?

If it is true that you have a no carry policy, then I and mine will not be doing any more business with you. Also I will use all my resources and influence to see that others are aware of your policy.

When 9/11 occurred and K-Mart pulled all their ammo and guns to prevent frightened but good people from buying them, I ended all business with K-Mart. On the other hand, Walmart sells guns and ammo and has a policy that allows customers to carry in their stores. By the way, did you see the news where an ex-husband came into Walmart and started stabbing his ex-wife and an armed citizen, not security or police, saved the woman's life by shooting her attacker? An investigating officer said the woman would likely not be alive today if it hadn't been for the armed citizen.

Until I know for sure whether this policy is true or not, me and mine will be in a holding pattern and will do no business with Sears or Kmart until I hear from you.

Ron Reese

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Ron - all I know here is - I have always carried in a Sears (concealed of course!) and have seen no notices suggesting any ban - or with any other stores here come to that. Even K-Mart still has guns and ammo in Altoona PA BTW.

We are of course, compared to many states, pretty darned good in this respect tho I would not hesitate to take matters up with management should I find anything occurring to try and suppress our carry rights.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Chris,

In Tennessee, and I know this is going to sound strange, but businesses can be a no carry without posting. They somehow "declare" their business as a no carry - they don't even have to annouce it????? Some examples are, Waffle House and Hardees. Hardees has no post at all but are known as a no carry business.

Now I notice that some Waffle Houses are actually posting on a big yellow sign that no weapons including guns even with permits are permitted, except for LE.

Presumably I will get a response from Sears and we'll see what their offical policy is.

Assistant Administrator
    But Ron - a ''declared no carry'' surely carries no weight - and as ever surely too - concealed - is concealed.

I am surprised at TN stores, for this apparent lunacy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sears no carry police is for employees not the general public i know i asked

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Sears and K-Mart merged.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Rember Shop Smart Shop S-Mart

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Sears no carry police is for employees not the general public i know i asked
    There seems to be a discrepency then because this is an excerpt from the purported Sears response.

"...We appreciate your business, and value you as a Sears customer. We certainly hope you will continue to make Sears your choice for quality and value..."

The above quote unquestionably is directed at customers.

yeah but reading the whole responce its a Canned responce kind of like you get from your congress people never states what was asked about as the problem just a we strive to do better bs letter

Senior Moderator
    Bud,

That's my impression as well - a canned letter that is evasive, rather than really addressing the point.

VIP Member
    The will be evasive. For one, they do not want to be on the News getting a ton of bad publicity because they "cater" to the Gun Nuts and end up in the latest Michael Moore film. At the same time thye realize that one of the reasons they bought K-Mart at fire sale prices was because the last board of directors thought Shooters were a small minority without any clout and lost between 6 to 10 million households at a minimun and they wouldn't want to repeat the same mistake.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Doesnt do them anygood buying it kfart that is becuse people still hate um and 3/4 think kfart bought sears which isnt true

Links