Katrinaville is getting worse.

This is a discussion on Katrinaville is getting worse. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Police-involved shootings on the rise | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | Local News | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | wwltv.com Even the police ...

Once all the BG are eliminated it will even out. If the city would give back people their guns or replace the ones that got ruined it would help. More Law abiding people need to arm themselves. Once the BG learn they will get shot every time they threaten someone it will change.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Once all the BG are eliminated it will even out. If the city would give back people their guns or replace the ones that got ruined it would help. More Law abiding people need to arm themselves. Once the BG learn they will get shot every time they threaten someone it will change.
    Probably.
    All very tragic events. I don't want to come across as being insensitive here, but it's kind of hard to believe for me that the law enforcement there has not better prepared themselves for the streets/or expected situations like these not to proliferate. We know the reasons why it appears that respect for the law enforcement community in that city has suffered tremendously. It's truly a bad situation only apt to get worse. Any LEO's death in the line of duty is tragic, and it affects the whole nation even if that's not apparent at the time. I don't know how to say this correctly, but who threw the first stone?
    “Fear on the part of police goes up,” he said.
    Have they already forgotten the fear they struck in their fellow American civilians? Sounds like they need to re-evaluate their tactics, and maybe a massive PR campaign is called for. I realize some of the current officers on duty there likely played no part in the previous gestapo tactics promulgated and supported through our government by the use of the military. It's impossible to turn back the hands of time. Right now it seems they stand alone on the field of battle. Best thing they can do is protect their own and each other, re-arm the rightful citizenry, and attempt to shed the stigma created in the past. It's going to be a long row to hoe. God bless them all.

I beg to differ, but LEO confiscating firearms after Katrina has nothing to do with NO crime rate.

The big easy, has always been a dangerous place, and New Orleans today, is no different than many other larger city’s, in that it’s facing gangs, and thugs, who would rather kill a cop than go to jail. And today’s youth would rather deal drugs and rob/pillage/steal than work at an honest job.

And it all boils down to the real reason crime is out of control, and that is a total lack of respect for the law, and law enforcement.

The solutions are not easy, and even if we where as a nation to start today to change the way we deal with crime, it would take a generation.

So, for that and other reasons, civilians will have to return to the way things use to be. And that is to carry a gun and protect your loved ones.

And for active LEO’s that means staying up today with firearm and defensive tactics training, and unfortunately, having to put that training to use more.

God bless NO LEOs

"I beg to differ, but LEO confiscating firearms after Katrina has nothing to do with NO crime rate." tns0038

When decent, honest, productive, responsible citizens have to fear attacks from both the common criminals and criminals with badges, thing are inevitably going to get worse.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I beg to differ, but LEO confiscating firearms after Katrina has nothing to do with NO crime rate.
    Dang if that statement doesn't sound like it's directly from the Brady Bunch Play Book!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n View Post
    Dang if that statement doesn't sound like it's directly from the Brady Bunch Play Book!

Please don’t get me wrong.

While police shooting may not have been has high prior to Katrina, New Orleans crime was and is out of control.

So, while I despise/loathe/hate “Mayor Nagin” ordering officers to confiscate firearms, and I feel that he should be charged with violating Federal laws for doing such. 2A and 14A.

I still don’t consider that action has much to do with NO crime rate today.

Does anyone know if those citizens ever got there guns back?

A full 1/3 of the NOPD abandoned their post when the city was in its greatest need. Unfortunately, the NOPD has a looooong history of corruption. Good officers were thin on the ground even before the storm. I doubt seriously that that they are fully staffed even two years later. Criminals know this...they can smell the fear in the air. With Nagin as Mayor and a fairly liberal state govt. it will only get worse. The common phrase used in the southeast by people who've been to NO on several occations (myself included) is this..."It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" The decent people of NO who've stood their ground in the face all these criminals and an impotent police dept. are to be commended...God bless every one of them.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Administrator
    No matter how you see it, both sides of the coin in N.O. are just messed up. Thats what happens when you put the wrong people in charge... its been proven over and over again in the U.S. and around the world. There is a reason why third world countries are third world countries and are much older than the US.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links