The Katrinaville gun grab goes on.

This is a discussion on The Katrinaville gun grab goes on. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Could an old idea of banning assault weapons be gaining more traction? | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | Local News | News for New ...

Thread: The Katrinaville gun grab goes on.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I got a chuckle out of this:

“Speaking to some of their high ranking officials there, the solvability rate of their victims is much better than it is here because their victims are being shot once or twice with a handgun, our victims are being shot ten or twelve times with an assault rifle,” he said.
    So a person being shot less makes the case easier to solve?

So bad guys can't shoot more than twice with a handgun?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I got a chuckle out of this:

So a person being shot less makes the case easier to solve?

So bad guys can't shoot more than twice with a handgun?

I think you read it backwards... he's saying its easier to solve a crime when a person is alive and able to tell you what happened.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    I agree with that, but they definitely could have phrased it better.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I agree with that, but they definitely could have phrased it better.
    No doubt about that... consider the source.
    "Just blame Sixto"

He wants he's crime rate more inline with New York? That is such a safe city.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This is the one that gets me the most:
    “These guns were designed for war,” Riley said in an interview on WWL Radio. “There's no place in an urban, or any American city for people to have the right to ride around with an assault rifle.”
    During the Revolutionary War, the weapon of war was a flintlock, and civilians owned them.
    During the Cival War, the weapon of war was a percussion rifle, and civilians owned them.
    During WWI, the weapons of war were bolt action rifles and pump shotguns, and civilians owned them.
    During WWII, Korea & Vietnam, semi-autos became weapons of war, and civilians have owned them ever since.

I can't understand why (and I know I'm preaching to the choir) these people continually want to go after the object instead of the individual. How many innocents are killed every year by drunk drivers, but I don't see police chiefs pushing to ban alcohol or cars. It just appears that basic common sense has left the building.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Here's the one that got me.

“our victims are being shot ten or twelve times with an assault rifle,”
    I haven't heard much about this. I wonder commonly it is happening that he could state it with such a broad brush.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Thumbs down

The "solveability rate" of victims is lowered when they're peppered with a dozen rounds from a criminal's rifle? So, how is disarming citizens going to deliminate such rifles from the hands of attacking criminals?

If all you've got is a hammer, then all problems appear to be nails. Interesting that solving cases (after the fact, obviously) seems more important to these folks than helping citizens guarding against them. From a law enforcement vantage point, victim disarmament will mean one thing: an increase in the long-term workload for agencies. Read my lips: in such places, it's about jobs ... not about life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    You haven't heard of it much because it doesn't happen much. Shootings with "assault rifles" are still a VERY small percentage of shootings...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Interesting article. I wonder if the bit about the majority of police chiefs being against firearms ownership is true. If so, why? I've noticed that there are a fair amount of LEO types on this and other forums, and the general sense I get is that the majority are supportive of our rights. What changes when you take on a political post......never mind, I just answered my own question.

If there are any LEO types out there that can correct me or fill me in on the thought process, I'm all ears.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Just another case, of limp wrested national media, and liberal politicians wanting to blame guns instead of worthless lowlifes, who rape, pillage, and murder.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Interesting article. I wonder if the bit about the majority of police chiefs being against firearms ownership is true. If so, why? I've noticed that there are a fair amount of LEO types on this and other forums, and the general sense I get is that the majority are supportive of our rights. What changes when you take on a political post......never mind, I just answered my own question.

If there are any LEO types out there that can correct me or fill me in on the thought process, I'm all ears.

I'm an LEO type in your general area... I can tell you without a doubt most officers in the 'burbs support 2A, as does the Chiefs. I shoot pistol and clays with a number of chiefs and officers alike, and we shoot side by side with docs, lawyers, salesmen, trades people, and who ever else whats to join us.

The Cheifs of Police assn. is nothing more than a political org., pandering for power and position just like the rest of those type of "clubs".
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    He wants he's crime rate more inline with New York? That is such a safe city.
    That one got me too. Even if assault weapons were "welcome" in NYC, I believe you wouldn't see a whole lot of them with legal gun owners.......The majority of the city walks and uses public transportation to get around - kinda hard to transport a rifle around compared to being able to throw it the back of your truck or car trunk.

Its apples and oranges.

Links