NRA Call & Impending AWB Legislation

This is a discussion on NRA Call & Impending AWB Legislation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday evening I got a call from the NRA asking me to join. During the 'pitch' from the guy on the other end, he mentioned ...

Thread: NRA Call & Impending AWB Legislation

NRA Call & Impending AWB Legislation

Yesterday evening I got a call from the NRA asking me to join. During the 'pitch' from the guy on the other end, he mentioned that a new AWB had just been introduced by Congress. He indicated that it was even more overreaching than the '94 AWB. I should have asked a few more questions about it specifically as I was not aware of any specific legislation proposed.

I did some additional research this morning to see what I could come up with. The only thing I found was a bill (HR 1022) introduced by a Democrat from NY last February. The info I looked at said it was still in 'committee' and that nothing more had been done.

I also read through the bill and found it to be a close copy of the 1994bill. I am no expert in this area, so maybe there are some differences and to be honest, I didn't follow the 1994 ban all that closely (I was more of a sheep during that time).

So my question is this, is there another piece of proposed legislation other than HR1022 or did the NRA guy just shoot me a line?

BTW I did join the NRA as a result of the conversation. I hope I didn't get suckered into something!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by keydet90 View Post
    Yesterday evening I got a call from the NRA asking me to join. During the 'pitch' from the guy on the other end, he mentioned that a new AWB had just been introduced by Congress. He indicated that it was even more overreaching than the '94 AWB. I should have asked a few more questions about it specifically as I was not aware of any specific legislation proposed.

I did some additional research this morning to see what I could come up with. The only thing I found was a bill (HR 1022) introduced by a Democrat from NY last February. The info I looked at said it was still in 'committee' and that nothing more had been done.

I also read through the bill and found it to be a close copy of the 1994bill. I am no expert in this area, so maybe there are some differences and to be honest, I didn't follow the 1994 ban all that closely (I was more of a sheep during that time).

So my question is this, is there another piece of proposed legislation other than HR1022 or did the NRA guy just shoot me a line?

BTW I did join the NRA as a result of the conversation. I hope I didn't get suckered into something!
    First off, HR1022 is absolutely not basically the same as the 94 AWB.

Here's a good summary:

Gun Law News - H.R.1022 - Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007

(sic)
    Synopsis

H.R.1022 is much closer to the 109th House Bill 1312, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2005, than it is to the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.

1. The list of weapons prohibitted by name is greatly expanded.
    2. In 1994, a list of attributes determined whether or not a gun was a 'semiautomatic assault weapon'. Two attributes were required. Under H.R.1022, only one attribute is required.
    3. The attributes defining 'assault weapon' is greatly expanded. Barrel shrouds are now included in the defining attributes for an 'assault weapon', so this bill could be considered the Hughes Amendment equivalent for evil, black rifles.
    4. All transfers of 'large capacity feeding devices' are prohibited.
    5. Private transfers of assault weapons are prohibitted.
    6. Conversion kits can not be owned. If you own a a postban firearm, whatever that looked like, you could not own a pistol grip or barrel shroud that would turn it into an 'assault weapon'.

Finally, read carefully the catch-all for 'assault weapon' attributes:
    (L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enfocement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event. (sic)
    Being in committee means that it can come out of committee for a vote whenever the folks running things (the Democrats) decide to do so. So, your concern that you were suckered is unfounded IMO and I am glad you joined.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Links