Brady Bunch is coming to Lansing

This is a discussion on Brady Bunch is coming to Lansing within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bill introduced in Michigan to prevent people using deadly force to protect themselves from prosecution. Hope this link works Link to story Michigan targeted: Taking ...

Bill introduced in Michigan to prevent people using deadly force to protect themselves from prosecution.

Hope this link works

Link to story
    Michigan targeted: Taking aim at gun control

LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Gun control advocates failed earlier this year to stop a Florida law allowing people to use deadly force to defend themselves without fear of prosecution from being signed by Gov. Jeb Bush.

They aren't going to let it happen again.
    National and local groups that want to see tighter restrictions on guns are taking early aim against similar legislation introduced this month in Michigan. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Million Mom March are sending out press releases criticizing the legislation and are calling lawmakers in an attempt to keep the bills from getting out of the House Judiciary Committee.

"This is a byproduct of having missed the boat in Florida,'' said Peter Hamm, director of communications for the Washington-based Brady Campaign. "We have been watching like a hawk for this to surface in other states.''

The battle in Michigan over the so-called deadly force legislation is an important one for both sides. It could open the doors to similar laws across the country, or stop the effort in its tracks.

The Michigan legislation would eliminate the requirement that people being attacked must retreat before responding, as long as they're in a place they legally have a right to be. It would allow people who feel threatened, even in a public area, to "meet force with force'' and defend themselves without facing criminal or civil prosecution.

State Reps. Tom Casperson of Escanaba and Rick Jones of Grand Ledge, both Republicans, introduced the bills. They said that although it would be unlikely for a crime victim to face criminal charges for killing someone in self-defense, a law is needed to guarantee it.

Michigan could be the second state after Florida to take away the threat of prosecution in fatalities caused by people trying to protect themselves.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Assistant Administrator
    My comments re Brady et al - are not CC forum material !

I can but wish other states, including PA - would follow FL's lead.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

There is some talk about a similar bill being introduced here in Misery ..er I mean Missouri; it is way too early to tell for sure but I have gotten to know a couple legislators from my area and I am working on them. One has a reputation as a bit of a maverick, heckled our former Dem-o-rat governor during an address to a joint session of the legislature.

VIP Member
    What exactly does defending yourself have to do with gun control? The anti-gun crowd is starting to self-destruct - I predict the bill will pass in Michigan, followed by others in many states.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Hmmm... in Colorado case law holds that you do not have a duty to retreat before using deadly force, but it isn't written into black-letter law, except in your house.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Hopefully this law will pass. Us leagal and law obiding gun owners need all the leagal protection we can get. Now if they could pass more laws banning civil suits against legal self defense............

i hope it passes here but this is really the first time i have heard of the bill

Links