DC wants to see if your house is "Safe" : MERGED - Page 2

DC wants to see if your house is "Safe" : MERGED

This is a discussion on DC wants to see if your house is "Safe" : MERGED within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Benthic Exactly! This is starting to sound way to much like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union. These types of comments are ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DC wants to see if your house is "Safe" : MERGED

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Exactly! This is starting to sound way to much like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union.
    These types of comments are really disturbing. It is as if there is no knowledge of the atrocities committed under those regimes. If we are to objectively discuss these issues, please let us keep some rational perspective.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    These types of comments are really disturbing. It is as if there is no knowledge of the atrocities committed under those regimes. If we are to objectively discuss these issues, please let us keep some rational perspective.

A valid point, but remember...those awful atrocities were not committed in the very first days of those regimes. They were wrought at the end of a long train of abuses which began with the creeping incrementalism of "rational" public-safety measures....

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session."--Samuel Clemens

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I think this program would be met with resistance in Texas
    If laughing so hard at their request to search that I pee myself counts as resistance, I would agree!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    these regimes had way too many things in common
    and they got started somewhere,
    I for one can see the relationship in the thought process
    sure, DC isnt killing dissidents, etc, but this idea sure leans in a bad direction
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    A valid point, but remember...those awful atrocities were not committed in the very first days of those regimes. They were wrought at the end of a long train of abuses which began with the creeping incrementalism of "rational" public-safety measures....
    Actually, the atrocities in Germany were committed suddenly, not after a long train of abuses. Guns were confiscated from the Jews just a few weeks before Kristalnacht. The idea that the greatest nation on Earth, the United States of Amernca, is in any way comparable to Nazi Germany is an embarrassment to anone making that analogy.

In this particular case, authorities are are not demanding anything of anyone. They are making it easier for parents to control their unruly, law breaking children.

If you do not want the authorities to search, just politely tell them, 'No, thank you.' If you do not like government officials and their policies, elect others. We live in the most free society ever constructed. I don't recall free and fair elections in Germany after Hitler took power. Do you really think there is the slightest chance that the United States will abandon our system of government without being defeated by a foreign power?

Every four years we will vote for the President and every two years we can change the make up of Congress. It has not changed for over two hundred years and a voluntary program in DC is not an incremental intrusion on anyone's rights.

Ad yes, confiscating guns from thugs and criminals makes society safer.

Nazi Weapons Act of 1938 (Translated to English)
    Classified guns for "sporting purposes".
    All citizens who wished to purchase firearms had to register with the Nazi officials and have a background check.

Presumed German citizens were hostile and thereby exempted Nazis from the gun control law.
    Gave Nazis unrestricted power to decide what kinds of firearms could, or could not be owned by private persons.
    The types of ammunition that were legal were subject to control by bureaucrats.
    Juveniles under 18 years could not buy firearms and ammunition.

A Gun Control Law Passed by the German Government One Day After Kristallnacht

Regulations Against Jews' Possession of Weapons

11 November 1938
    With a basis in §31 of the Weapons Law of 18 March 1938 (Reichsgesetzblatt I, p.265), Article III of the Law on the Reunification of Austria with Germany of 13 March 1938 (Reichsgesetzblatt I, p. 237), and §9 of the Führer and Chancellor's decree on the administration of the Sudeten-German districts of 1 October 1938 (Reichsgesetzblatt I, p 1331) are the following ordered:

§1
    Jews (§5 of the First Regulations of the German Citizenship Law of 14 November 1935, Reichsgesetzblatt I, p. 1333) are prohibited from acquiring, possessing, and carrying firearms and ammunition, as well as truncheons or stabbing weapons.* Those now possessing weapons and ammunition are at once to turn them over to the local police authority.

§2
    Firearms and ammunition found in a Jew's possession will be forfeited to the government without compensation.

§3
    The Minister of the Interior may make exceptions to the Prohibition in §1 for Jews who are foreign nationals.* He can entrust other authorities with this power.

§4
    Whoever willfully or negligently violates the provisions of §1 will be punished with imprisonment and a fine.* In especially severe cases of deliberate violations, the punishment is imprisonment in a penitentiary for up to five years.

§5
    For the implementation of this regulation, the Minister of the Interior waives the necessary legal and administrative provisions.

§6
    This regulation is valid in the state of Austria and in the Sudeten-German districts.
    Berlin, 11 November 1938
    Minister of the Interior
    Frick
    There is a ZERO chance that any similar legislation would ever pass in this country.

VIP Member
    No matter if you think it's a good program or not, Is it really any surprise it's happening in DC of all places? It's an insult to parents that a cop is going to even knock on their door to see if their house is safe. I'm a parent, isn't that MY job?
    It's just another unrealistic ploy of "cleaning up the streets", just like the gun ban and the gun buys there and in Chicago. Maybe PARENTS SHOULD BE PARENTS.....

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yup, if you don't want to consent to a search, just say "No".

Then watch the police "surveill" your house for a few weeks and obtain a search warrant based on (undocumented, but sworn-to in a search warrant affidavit) "high levels of short-term foot and vehicular traffic consistent with..."(fill in the blank __________- - drug trafficking, illegal arms dealing, whatever...).

Or, better yet, they distort your refusal to grant permission as "reliable information" from "an informant"/"concerned citizen" about such illegal activities and get a warrant that way....

Great.

(they can't, at least not yet, use your refusal to search, stated as such, as probable cause for a warrant)
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

All I would do is just say no think you, good by. Then shut the door.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

There WILL be a list of non-compliance.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

The program is among several aimed at combating gun crimes that were announced Wednesday by Lanier and Mayor Adrian M. Fenty
    How can they have gun crimes when guns are/were banned?

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

1. Check peep hole upon knock at door;
    2. Observe po-po through the peep hole observing me;
    3. Stay still, be quiet (!);
    4. They knock twice more to be sure and then move on to the next neighbor/suckers door;
    5. Stay alive, because the streets are always watching and they do not like nor trust the po-po...who themselves do not like nor trust those of the streets.

- Janq

'You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense.' - A statement of ones rights as per the Bill of Rights via the Miranda case as decided 40+ yrs. ago by SCoTUS
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm well aware of what went on in Nazi Germany and in the Soviet Union, thank you.

My point, as others have already stated, is that neither country became that way overnight. As their governments began to realize what they could get away with, the attempted to get away with more and more. The key is to not let the snowball begin to roll in the first place.

Brian

Does anyone live in DC? When they do come to your door, ask them "Why do you need to search for guns in a city where guns are banned?" "Ok so your telling me that the laws you are passing don't work?"-
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

I would have no problem with a truly voluntary program - that is if parents beg the police to search their homes, the police could volunteer to do it. Even then it is asking the taxpayers to foot the bill for a job the parents should be doing - but it might end up being in the taxpayers best interest.

Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier says the "safe homes initiative" is aimed at residents who want to cooperate with police. She gave the example of parents who know or suspect their children have guns in the home.
    How does stuff like this happen anyway? If everyone did their part and took control of these situations, there would be no need for government intervention. I'm going to have to throw out one of those big words on this one-----'responsibility'.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links