US News & World Report on DC gunban

This is a discussion on US News & World Report on DC gunban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A Key Case on Gun Control - US News and World Report Good article. The Supreme Court will hear arguments on the 18th....

Thread: US News & World Report on DC gunban

US News & World Report on DC gunban

A Key Case on Gun Control - US News and World Report

Good article. The Supreme Court will hear arguments on the 18th.

2. Remove Ads

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    intresting..........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

good post

The article had some errors, but some of the comments are really good and informed!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Wow! Rather extensive! Just what I like--in depth. Saved it for viewing over dinner. Thanks for the link!

Thanks for the info....
    Harley 91
    "For those who fight for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, Kimber Custom II
    XD 9mm sc, XD 40 sc, .357 Colt King Cobra,
    .22 Berreta Bobcat

"They give me a gun to protect them, but after work I'm a second class citizen."

That pretty well sums it up!

Good to see the issues presented that well in a mainstream publication like US News and World Report.....

Pretty good article....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

fir USNAWR...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have to say that I am somewhat surprised that nobody ever challenged these laws on the basis of age discrimination. I mean, if I have to be 21 to register a handgun and DC stopped registering handguns in 1976, then, effectively, anybody born after 1955 couldn't own a gun. That means the law treats pre-1955 born citizens differently than post-1955, and that would seem to violate equal protection.

And the "Association of Physicians and Surgeons" is on Heller's side? Wow...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

yea it is a good article, the front page of the magazine has a beretta 92FS (or 96, can't remember which), needless to say caught my eye :)

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I stopped at B & N today to pick up some gun magazines and other reading materials. That cover story caught my eye and resulted in an impulse purchase.

I sure hope a ruling for individual rights and all gun laws are tossed out. I don't think its right to selectively deny Constitutional rights without due process. Not allowing people a reason to defend themselves or enjoy the sport/hobby of firearms is discriminatory without a trial. Not a hearing, a trial.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Bill of Rights

Scary article conclusion, we either have the Rights or only what the members of congress and SCOTUS allow. Did all fail reading in school?

"There are at least two parts to any answer to the question of what we might expect to see next: What does the Supreme Court say is permissible, and what do policymakers think is possible?"
    Last edited by tabsr; March 14th, 2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, tabsr, that's always the case---if a legislature can get away with passing a law, it has to be declared unconstitutional at the end of a long process before it can be made to go away. There are enough people out there who think a lot of gun control laws are 'reasonable' that legislators keep passing them. If SCOTUS makes the right decision here it will still be awhile before various suits against specific other gun laws make their way through the courts.

The DC gun ban is a good 2A case because it is the most extreme gun control out there. That means if it gets tossed out, the RKBA bar only gets lowered a little bit. It's an opening to bring a lot more suits, but it really will take a while to work it all out.

We can hope that a good SCOTUS ruling will make gun rights a sticky enough issue that antis will want to stay away from it during this election season, giving those other suits a chance to work their merry way along. That's probably the best outcome at this point.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links