DC vs Heller Help or hurt?

This is a discussion on DC vs Heller Help or hurt? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well we have a few more days to guess, so Help or Hurt?...

View Poll Results: Dc vs Heller Help or Hurt?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will help gun laws

25 47.17%
  • It will hurt gun laws

1 1.89%
  • They will word it so not much changes

27 50.94%

Well we have a few more days to guess, so Help or Hurt?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It could help or hurt, depending on what the court rules. Until the ruling comes down we just can't know, only hope.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I voted that it would not change much in the way of gun laws but I think it will significantly change the law in DC.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Assuming by 'help' you mean it will help the cause of RKBA, I think it will help. They will almost surely declare the 2A to be an individual right. Even if that's all it does it gives ground for new suits against the legality of existing gun laws. My sincere hope is that the Court will likewise establish strict scrutiny for restrictions on the Second Amendment, and then it will be open season (no bag limit) on gun control laws.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Hopefully this will begin a domino effect in our favor if all goes the way I pray that it will.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Hopfully, they word it so not much changes. They are already predicting a 4-5 or 5-4 decision. With it that close, I think its a lot more likely for them to say that all gun laws are constitutional than for them to say no gun laws are constitutional.

My vote, I say they will make it very specific to D.C. so that it doesn't start a dominoe effect.

If by some chance there is a landmark decision, I believe it will go against the gun owners.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Depends on how you interpret your poll. No matter what happens the opinions of some are going to be that the decision hurt their side. The wording is very ambiguous. I consider anything less than a complete declaration of the 2nd Amendment being an individual right as harmful. Ideally I would like to see everything back to the NFA declared unconstitutional and would consider that a win.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Question

" THE PEOPLE" 1st,2nd,4th,9th,10th, Amendment's. Folks that is all I need to know. SCOTUS, they have a problem?

I said 'help'...but with all the political bs floating in the big government pond...probably not much will change.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I voted that it would not change much in the way of gun laws but I think it will significantly change the law in DC.
    What he said. I hope, anyway. We don't need another case of judicial activism.

-B

The lady with the balances has been blindfold (through embarrassment) for a long time, now, so I'm not holding my breath.

It all comes down to the honor and integrity exhibited by each of the Nine. The wishy-washy decisions in recent years prove that there is no underlying moral and Constitutional foundation with the Justices, just as there is little with citizens. This case really should be fairly simple. On both Constitutional and moral grounds, restriction of the ability of people to defend themselves against attack is wrong and should never be allowed. At least, that's the way I see it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Hopfully, they word it so not much changes. They are already predicting a 4-5 or 5-4 decision. With it that close, I think its a lot more likely for them to say that all gun laws are constitutional than for them to say no gun laws are constitutional.

My vote, I say they will make it very specific to D.C. so that it doesn't start a dominoe effect.

If by some chance there is a landmark decision, I believe it will go against the gun owners.
    Those are my thoughts.

At any rate, we aren't going to know until October, at the earliest.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

All the justices have to do is decide that the 2nd amendment does in fact protect an individuals' right to bear arms, and that will be enough; besides, that is really all they are deciding here, is interpreting whether the 2nd amendment essentially applies to the states' ability to regulate militias, or an individuals' right to own firearms.

Histroical precedence, no matter what the media says, stands firmly on our side. Even the mighty liberal scholars like Lawrence Tribe and Sanford Levinson have filed Amicus briefs with the court in our favor. Even they realize what is at stake here, even though they are afraid to say it. They know if the 2nd is interpreted in a collective rights light, then this seriously weakens the individuality of the Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights was intended from the very beginning to enumerate personal freedoms for the individual, no the other way around.

So sit back and enjoy, because all we need is the 2nd to be declared an individual right, and gun banners everywhere will be running scared.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    So sit back and enjoy, because all we need is the 2nd to be declared an individual right, and gun banners everywhere will be running scared.
    But this still means that voting 2nd Amendment is a priority for the next few decades. Legislative restrictions must be voted down at the committee level or lower so nothing gets negotiated through. This includes active letter writing to change the minds of those who take a middle of the road postion.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Links