DC vs. Heller:ALL Related Discussion: VICTORY! Merged

This is a discussion on DC vs. Heller:ALL Related Discussion: VICTORY! Merged within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are going to be a ton of articles on the Heller case this week. I'll share the articles I think are worth sharing and ...

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DC vs. Heller:ALL Related Discussion: VICTORY! Merged

There are going to be a ton of articles on the Heller case this week. I'll share the articles I think are worth sharing and I hope you will do the same.

This thread is for links to Heller articles that you come across that are worth sharing.(I think we should refrain from posting the entire article as this thread will get unwieldy)

Here is the first link

Here is another one:

As promised, they are rolling out pretty regularly.

BTW: If the multitude of cheesy puns are annoying you, you are not alone!

Drudge just linked to this Breitbart Article: Individuals Right to Bear Arms on Docket
    A friend of mine emailed me this one:

History News Network: The Right TO Bear Arms
    Last edited by JD; March 19th, 2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Added quote tags to links to help divide the post after merge from multiple posts.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

"The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Associated Press has one too:

Individual's Right to Bear Arms at Issue
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Here's breaking news from the Buckeye Firearms association...
    to be able to watch the oral arguments in the Supreme Court

Chief Justice Roberts Approves Immediate Release of Oral Argument For District of Columbia v. Heller
    WASHINGTON, D.C. -- On Tuesday, March 18, 2008, C-SPAN will air the Supreme Court oral argument of District of Columbia v. Heller which the Court is scheduled to hear that day. The immediate release of the audio recording of the Court's argument was in response to a request by C-SPAN Release time is approximately 11:15 A.M.).

The Court will make the recording available to the media soon after the conclusion of the oral argument. The oral argument will air on C-SPAN, and C-SPAN Radio as soon as it is released. The audio recording will also be archived online at C-SPAN | Capitol Hill, The White House and National Politics on the “America and the Courts” page.

NOTE: Go to C-SPAN | Capitol Hill, The White House and National Politics tomorrow. This event should be on the home page.

Quote Originally Posted by omle54 View Post
    Here's breaking news from the Buckeye Firearms association...
    to be able to watch the oral arguments in the Supreme Court

Chief Justice Roberts Approves Immediate Release of Oral Argument For District of Columbia v. Heller
    WASHINGTON, D.C. -- On Tuesday, March 18, 2008, C-SPAN will air the Supreme Court oral argument of District of Columbia v. Heller which the Court is scheduled to hear that day. The immediate release of the audio recording of the Court's argument was in response to a request by C-SPAN Release time is approximately 11:15 A.M.).

The Court will make the recording available to the media soon after the conclusion of the oral argument. The oral argument will air on C-SPAN, and C-SPAN Radio as soon as it is released. The audio recording will also be archived online at C-SPAN | Capitol Hill, The White House and National Politics on the “America and the Courts” page.

NOTE: Go to C-SPAN | Capitol Hill, The White House and National Politics tomorrow. This event should be on the home page.

Outstanding!!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Well I am getting action alerts and emails from friends on a pretty regular basis now and I have been since about 1330 PDT. Here are a couple that are region specific.

The Arizona Republic: Bearing Arms in Arizona (Home of the Grand Poobah-Strangely enough the Article argues that the SCOTUS case won't affect Arizona much. Neat history about the creation of Arizona's Constituion by the way)
    The Fort Worth Star Telegram: Texans Have A Stake In Gun Case
    And here is a daily dose of slant from the editorial Board at the Washington Post:
    The D.C. Gun Case (Caution statements in this article may cause you to vomit)
    Edit: One from the
    Chicago Tribune regarding Chicago's Stake in the Case
    Last edited by JD; March 19th, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Heller Vs DC is the biggest article on C-SPAN's front page!!!

C-SPAN | Capitol Hill, The White House and National Politics

Don't miss the audio from the oral arguments tomorrow at 11:30am easter time!!!

For those without the ability to listen tomorrow, the transcripts should be here: Argument Transcripts

They should be released the same time as the audio.

This audio release is *VERY UNUSUAL* for the supreme court. The only other case I know of was Bush v. Gore. I'm sure there were others, but traditionally, the supremes don't do this.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Long: D.C. v. Heller Eyewitness - PreGame Report

I got this from Alan at Gunlaws.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Full contact info at end

DATELINE: Washington, D.C. 3/17/08

24 Hours Prior to Heller Case

by Alan Korwin, Co-Author
    Supreme Court Gun Cases

More people are on line in front of the U.S. Supreme Court for the D.C.
    gun ban case tomorrow than seats are available, and the temperature is hovering above freezing, but that's not stopping them.

Bob Blackmer and I were the first to arrive, Sunday night about 5 p.m., answering the big question of -- Would two nights in advance be enough
    -- aside from did we have endurance to pull that off.

A few moments later, Jason and Dan arrived from Pennsylvania with sleeping bags and the same question in mind -- would they be in time for the biggest Second Amendment case in the nation's history, and, yes, they were. With no one else around, and the Sup. Ct. police officer pumped for all the info he might have (precious little), Bob and I left for our hotel, confident that we would be in time in the a.m., and Jason and Dan became numbers one and two in line, a distinction the media would dwell on the next day. (Reporters kept zeroing in on Jason since he was number one in line, and fortunately, he was articulate, a poli sci grad, not the bubba the media so often isolates as a "typical"
    example.)

Because the line formed two nights in advance (kind of), and because local ABC-TV carried that news (with images)and bloggers spread it, people began arriving first at midnight, and then at the crack of dawn, panicked about access. Bob awoke in the hotel and departed in time to arrive well before 8 a.m., making him 7th, and I ran around looking for propane for his porta-heater (the airline allowed the heater but not the fuel). I was fortunate to have a reserved seat, so it didn't matter that I arrived at 10 a.m., and that didn't matter either, since I was now #16. I was the only person, the whole day, schmoozing on the line, running errands for people, enjoying the atmosphere, but with a reserved seat and a bed waiting for me at night.

People had full blown lounge chairs, sleeping bags, blankets, food... a regular shanty town developed and as police had advised, the line self regulated. Physical position was a non-issue, since everyone knew their place, and Sarah, a Harvard law student, took it on herself to start a list and gather everyone's arrival time and position number. People milled around at will, confident they would not lose their cherished place in line. It was a community.

Almost everyone was a law student, almost no one would qualify as a "gunnie" (well, maybe a small handful) but nearly everyone was on the side of Heller, advocating for a strong Second Amendment. The conversations were electric, a bunch of well educated, thoughtful, intelligent people self selected for a historic moment. When was the last time you saw a line of people hanging out reading legal briefs?

The promise was for 50 seats for the public, but the Marsahll's office was clear to me that this number could change, and would only be known in the morning, giving a distinct feeling it would shrink as "dignitaries" decided to attend at the last minute.

By 2:30 p.m. Monday, today, the day before the case, 32 people were in line, neatly numbered thanks to Sarah (and everyone in line ahead of them). The lucky (maybe) 50th person arrived at 4:45 p.m., and folks continued to arrive and queue up, hoping against hope for a greater number of seats, or line abandoners.

No paid place holders were apparent.

The most novel legal theories were:

-- The case could be decided on standing, with the Court concluding Heller didn't really have any after all, and the case falling apart on those grounds (highly unlikely, but it shook up conversations);

-- The Court would parse "keep" and "bear," finding an individual right, but applying strict scurtiny to "keep" and rational basis standard of review for "bear," effectively gutting the Second Amendment;

-- A decision narrower than everyone expects would get a nine to zero affirmation of an individual right (a seven-to-two split got a lot of voice);

-- The Solicitor General would recant his position (calling for reduced scrutiny and a remand of the case), artfully saying that was a mistake or oversight, an extremely unlikely but appealing (to some) possibility that would get Clements out of supposed hot water and be talked about, well, forever;

-- No one expects anything but an individual right finding, but the level of scrutiny for any law anywhere was up for grabs;

-- Obviously, no one has a clue, but you get the idea of what was going on in the cold, windy, sleep deprived, hard scrabble concrete world of Hellertown in front of the Court.

As for me, I'm sun burned, exhausted, undernourished, but at least in a hotel lobby, getting ready for what sleep I can and an early start to what will be an amazing day tomorrow. I'll relieve Bob so he can use the Court restroom to shuck his thermals, freshen up, stash his goods in the Court lockers, grab some chow in the Court cafeteria (great food, low low subsidized prices), and join the rabble in the cheap seats upstairs.

Written without adequate review or a spell checker, I reserve the right to change any of this... will attempt a swift review of the orals as soon after as I can muster.

Alan.

alan@gunlaws.com
    Bloomfield Press, Phoenix
    602-996-4020
    gunlaws.com / Bloomfield Press
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Let's see:
    Fingers crossed.....check.
    Toes crossed.....check.
    Legs crossed.....check.
    Arms crossed.....check.

Doesn't look like I'll be getting much work done today...
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Nope, no work will be done today in my neck of the woods.

Trying to find a good internet radio stream that's keeping tabs on things... anyone have a suggestion?

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I'm there in spirit and will be monitoring C-Span and the web as the day goes on.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I would be there if I could. My local denver news is running a story this morning on people camping out in front of the supreme court. I have to admit, I LOVE seeing this. You'd think it was a Pink Floyd concert, but no... it's people who have so long been accused of indifference (the young folks) who are camping out to hear legal arguments (not even a ruling!) regarding a fundamental civil right. That's awe inspiring.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    Nope, no work will be done today in my neck of the woods.

Trying to find a good internet radio stream that's keeping tabs on things... anyone have a suggestion?
    c-span is playing it if you have cable. Starting at 11:30 EDT

http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:808...n/schedule.csp
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I just came across this: American Daughter Media Center - Front Page » Blog Archive » D.C. vs. Heller Eyewitness — Pregame Report

I've only started reading, but it looks like it could provide a first hand account of what takes place. I haven't read much, so feel free to beat me to the punch and tell us if it's worth the effort or not.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    c-span is playing it if you have cable. Starting at 11:30 EDT

http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:808...n/schedule.csp
    Yes I just saw, and it's also available on the web in a vid stream.

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links