Election coming up in NJ

This is a discussion on Election coming up in NJ within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We've all heard the joke about a family being attacked by a terrorist and the response based on being Democrat, Republican, Southern Democrat. The Democrat ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Election coming up in NJ

Election coming up in NJ

We've all heard the joke about a family being attacked by a terrorist and the response based on being Democrat, Republican, Southern Democrat.
    The Democrat would hold focus groups, wonder if the guy was oppressed etc.
    The Republican response would be BANG!
    The Southern Democrat response would be BANG!, BANG!, BANG! etc.

Well, if this were set in New Jersey, the Republican response would be to ask "What would the Democrat response be?".

And that's the problem. That, along with the smart-gun law which says that someone appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the governor will determine when smart-gun kicks off (and it's not a computer chip that's attached to your Glock; it's a whole new gun that fires 15 shots and then has to be sent back to the factory to be reloaded).

That law MUST be repealed!

Now, about the election. We have an anti-gun Democrat who is an almost guaranteed win over a perhaps not quite so anti-gun Republican, who, most definitely will NOT be repealing smart-gun.

With that in mind, I would like to suggest that you vote for the Libertarian candidate, who, while he doesn't have a snowball's chance to win, might possibly, by causing the Republican to get clobbered while making a good showing for the Libertarian Party, get NJ Republicans to become Republicans and not just remain "Me To" RINOs.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    it's a whole new gun that fires 15 shots and then has to be sent back to the factory to be reloaded).
    What sort of crock is that? Can anything be so absurd!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think NJ is a lost cause. Personally I'd like to trade them to Canada for a case of Molson.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It's something from Metalstorm out of Australia

It's basically a glorified muzzle loader with three barrels. Think of a standard percussion muzzle loader (side hammer instead of inline), but instead of one hammer, it has 5 hammers and matching nipples spaced an inch or two apart. You load 5 charges, one on top of the other. When you pull the trigger, the front hammer fires the first bullet. The second time you pull the trigger, the second hammer fires and so on.

With the Metalstorm gun, you have electric primers but it is loaded the same way. From what I've read about the gun, it has to be sent back to the factory to be reloaded. I would expect that they might market preloaded barrels where you turn in your old barrel set and get another fully loaded one. Of course, as these things wear, who knows what kind of accuracy you're going to get from the twenty fifth barrel set that you buy.
    Basic Pistol

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    it's a whole new gun that fires 15 shots and then has to be sent back to the factory to be reloaded
    Un-freaking-believable.

Obviously any type of training or practice with that “weapon” is out of the question.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag
    I think NJ is a lost cause. Personally I'd like to trade them to Canada for a case of Molson.
    What makes you think Canada would take them??
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

My sympathies to all you poor people stuck in NJ.

What really needs to happen is for California and New Jersey to sink into the ocean, or drift away from the CONUS and declare themselves sovereign nations.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Yo,

500...be nice... you're employed in NJ!!!

Oh well, I can't wait to get OUT of this state!!!

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

VIP Member
    ....all of this ridiculous-"ness" is why I had to leave NJ.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Same here.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I live in Oregon, so please be patient with this backwoods 'Hick' as I try to understand. There is a law, pending or in force in NJ that limits firearm capacity to 15 and requires reloading at the factory? Please tell me that this is local political humor. Please.....

No, that's not exactly the way it's worded.

There is a law that says that 3 years after someone (I think it's the AG for NJ) declares that a workable smart gun has been produced anywhere, all guns sold in NJ must be smart. Part of the requirement is that the smart technology cannot be readily bypassed.

New Jersey Institute of Technology, (the former Newark College of Engineering where you went if you flunked out of Stevens Institute of Technology, but that's another story) is working on the grip recognition (smart) part of it. The plan is to mate it up with the Metalstorm abomination, which, according to things I've read about it, needs to be reloaded at the factory. I think it is because it uses electrically fired primers mounted in the barrel (this thing is a glorified muzzle loader) which have to be replaced. (I expect that there might be some kind of arrangement wherby one could buy spare loaded barrels and switch barrels when the gun is empty and ship the empties back to the factory for reloading, or something like a long revolver cylindar that could be dropped into the gun behind the barrels.

If you've ever worked with any coin operated things like copiers, you know that all the coin-op is a circuit that senses when the proper money has been deposited and then closes a simple circuit, let's say the wire to the "Print" button on a copier. In a gun, I would expect that it would involve some kind of solenoid being actuated. That would be too easily bypassed. By using the Metalstorm gun's technology, it would be far more difficult to bypass this (supposedly any attempt to muck around with it would result in the electronics for the gun being fried.).

But, anyway, that's the plan.

As an interresting aside, Metalstorm's big claim to fame was its area denial weapon that fired a million rounds per minute. So, let's see, the anti gunners are setting up a situation where the only gun you can buy will be one that was designed as a machine gun. All it would take is someone who is familiar with working with the individual components in a computer to do this. Expect to see plans on the internet within about a month after this shows up on the market.

By the way, if you check the link, you'll see that the target market for this is the very people who are exempted from the law.
    Last edited by grnzbra; September 23rd, 2005 at 01:23 PM.
    Basic Pistol

Speaking of the smart gun technology (the personal recognition portion), it is far from production. Prototypes have about a 90% reliability. That is it fires 9 out of 10 times it's suppose to. The goal is something in the neighborhood of 99.99% reliability, which they say is around the reliability of the components of a gun. So a mechanical failure should happen before an electrical one.

The main problem I have with the whole "grip recognition concept" is that I know I don't always use the same grip. Need to experiment a little to get comfortable and proper, at least with a new firearm. And if I'm in a dire situation I'll bet dollars to donuts that I'm not consciously thinking of my proper grip.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Well, since there are no moving parts,...

...I would expect absolutely ZERO mechanical problems. And the grip recognition thing will be a great thing if it happens naturally and the is implemented as a function of market selection. I have two problems with it. The first is the idea that a bureaucratic hack is going to determine when it is in it is reliable "enough" (Right now, they've got to squeeze the whole thing into the footprint of the gun and they've only got it to the point where a standard gun is connected to a laptop for processing. Metalstorm technology gives them the whole grip volume to play with). If they can compact it down to fit in the grip but still have only 90%, but decide to market it anyway, the clock starts.

Furthermore, we still have the problem of 15 shots and you're done. That's unacceptable. It has to work on a "normal" gun.

Just remembered a third concern I have. What would it take to shut it down completely. I expect EMP would do it, but that's kinda extreme. Moving down the extremity spectrum, how close to normal everyday occurrances do you have to get for the firing circuits to function reliably (after being told by the recognition software that it's ok for this shooter to fire.)

And while we're at it, is this going to have GPS in it? Perhaps it fires off a location to a central computer every time it's fired.
    Basic Pistol

500 MAG
    What did the Canadians ever do you????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links