The Brady Campaign Scorecard vs. UCR Violent Crime Data

The Brady Campaign Scorecard vs. UCR Violent Crime Data

This is a discussion on The Brady Campaign Scorecard vs. UCR Violent Crime Data within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got to wondering if the Brady Campaign cared about results as much as rhetoric. I think we all know the answer to that, but ...

Post The Brady Campaign Scorecard vs. UCR Violent Crime Data

I got to wondering if the Brady Campaign cared about results as much as rhetoric. I think we all know the answer to that, but I thought I'd throw together some numbers and see if there's any support to their position.

I haven't had time to compare trends yet, but I did compare the Brady Campaigns 2007 "scorecard" to 2006 UCR violent crime data.

I had to add D.C., since the UCR has data but for whatever reason the Brady Campaign chose to ignore it. I dug up their scorecard and scored D.C. a conservative 88/100.

Not surprisingly, there's no obvious correlation between violent crime and gun control efforts as graded by the Brady Campaign.

I've attached a .doc with a simple chart and the data I put together so far.

I'd post them here but html tags are disabled.
    Attached Files
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Very intresting chart. Please look past my doofus-ness and tell me what/who the UCR is. I wonder how the numbers stack up with the FBI's stats?

I really like to know the formulas used to come up with these figures......I'd try to come up with a more 'localized' chart for my city, county, etc.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    UCR = Uniform Crime Reports. Basically, police departments have a uniform system of reporting offenses to the FBI/NIJ. The crimes are grouped generally into 29 categories and are divided into "person" crimes and "property" crimes respectively known as part I and part II crimes. The stats are submitted from police departments monthly and are used to track trends in offenses.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Now why would you go and confuse the Brady Bunch with the facts? You know they just get in the way.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    UCR = Uniform Crime Reports. Basically, police departments have a uniform system of reporting offenses to the FBI/NIJ. The crimes are grouped generally into 29 categories and are divided into "person" crimes and "property" crimes respectively known as part I and part II crimes. The stats are submitted from police departments monthly and are used to track trends in offenses.
    Roger, copy all

10-7
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I really like to know the formulas used to come up with these figures......I'd try to come up with a more 'localized' chart for my city, county, etc.
    The brady campaign uses a scoring system to rank each state. Since almost all of the items scored are state-specific, it's not possible to use their data to fairly and accurately contrast their ranking at a city or county level.

Their scorecards for the fifty states are here:
    http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/..._scorecard.pdf

I'm sure that if you made every effort to be objective, you can score your region relatively accurately, and then contrast that with UCR data like I did. It'd never hold up to academic scrutiny but then again, almost nothing the brady campaign says holds up either.

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    Now why would you go and confuse the Brady Bunch with the facts? You know they just get in the way.
    Their exclusion of D.C. data is pima facie evidence of their intent to place rhetoric before fact.

I, however, do believe strongly in placing fact before rhetoric, so I'm trying to gather the facts, for better or worse.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

The Brady group and 'fact' are mutually exclusive.
    Their mission and method is to distort truth, fact, and mix in with that emotional pleas to serve their singular goal of gun ownership abolition by any and all means necessary.

Matiki another example of this that I did the math toward myself can be found at this several years old thread;

'get a load of this Billboard'
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post231646

Read the OP first and then from there go up to my post which was several pages following; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...billboard.html

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

sheesh, us quite folk up here in maine sure don't cause much of a ruckus.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The Brady group and 'fact' are mutually exclusive.
    Their mission and method is to distort truth, fact, and mix in with that emotional pleas to serve their singular goal of gun ownership abolition by any and all means necessary.

Matiki another example of this that I did the math toward myself can be found at this several years old thread;

'get a load of this Billboard'
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post231646

Read the OP first and then from there go up to my post which was several pages following; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...billboard.html

- Janq
    Thanks Janq, that's an interesting thread. I was perusing the brady campaigns 'fact' page when I decided to attack their proposed solutions, rather than their claims, since their claims would be too easy.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Thanks for the post! I doubt the will look at the stats, much less understand the corelation. Amazing how the states with the toughtest gun laws have the highest per capita violent crime rates. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.
    Last edited by sniper58; March 18th, 2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: sp
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Links