Alan Gura replied to my e-mail!

This is a discussion on Alan Gura replied to my e-mail! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Am I the only one that thinks that Heller's lawyer did a **** poor job yesterday? But back to the original topic, I'm glad that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alan Gura replied to my e-mail!

Am I the only one that thinks that Heller's lawyer did a **** poor job yesterday? But back to the original topic, I'm glad that he responded, and I am glad that he's on the right side of the fence.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ellerblr View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks that Heller's lawyer did a **** poor job yesterday? But back to the original topic, I'm glad that he responded, and I am glad that he's on the right side of the fence.

I think he could have done better, but speaking in front of SCOTUS can be quite intimidating, I imagine. My father was an attorney. He argued three separate cases in front of the Michigan Supreme Court and even at the state level, a man who was never intimidated by much of anything, says he was quite nervous all three times.

But I'm sure he's even looking back at things and thinking, "Boy, I should have said this or that" Hind sight and all.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Would you be agreeable to share the emails wording with us?

I am amazed that you heard back so quickly with what his schedule must be like. I was glad to hear the audio on C-Span, and think from what I heard that our side did pretty well from the way the Justices were speaking.

Thanks for the address guys, I have a form letter thanking him for his dedicatiion to our sacred cause - That and a blessing for him and his family......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    My e-mail said.....Congrats....a beautiful, well thought out argument. You've done very well and I hope it works. Much thanks, Dimitri

I read the transcript so I had to make up how the attorneys sounded....Understand what I mean? Maybe because of how I feel, Alan had a 'stronger' voice in my head. Although, DC's lawyer has exactly the same weasel voice that was in my head.

Oh yeah...his response was exactly....Thanks!!!

Brief and to the point.
    Last edited by hudsonvalley; March 19th, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    I think he could have done better, but speaking in front of SCOTUS can be quite intimidating, I imagine. My father was an attorney. He argued three separate cases in front of the Michigan Supreme Court and even at the state level, a man who was never intimidated by much of anything, says he was quite nervous all three times.
    This was Alan Gura's first appearance before the Supreme Court. Walter Dellinger, representing DC, is a former Solicitor General under Clinton/Reno. In that capacity he appeared before the SCOTUS 9 times. In all, he argued 17 cases before the SCOTUS prior to DC vs. Heller.

All things considered, I think Gura acquitted (no pun intended) himself quite well for his first outing. Of course, he had the more logical argument/position. We'll know for sure in June when the Court issues its findings and opinions.

#295: 07-15-97 - Dellinger to Leave Justice Department
    [HTML]As acting Solicitor General for the 1996-97 Term, Dellinger
    argued nine cases before the United States Supreme Court, the most
    by any Solicitor General in more than twenty years. His arguments
    included cases dealing with physician assisted suicide, the line
    item veto, the cable television act, the Brady Act, the Religious
    Freedom Restoration Act and the constitutionality of providing
    remedial services to parochial school children.[/HTML]
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I am in total shock. After being a member of the Forum for a little over one and one half years, finally a nice post about lawyers. Well, I guess that shows that if you wait long enough anything can happen. Just kiddng. That was, indeed, very classy of him.

Ron

Relish it. It probably won't happen again till the last half of 2009.

Just kidding .
    I think most would agree that even though there are some scumbag ambulance chasers (John Edwards, etc ) out there, there are even more fine, respectable lawyers that do a lot of good.
    I am also thankfull for Guru and what he has done for the cause. I think he did make a few missteps but I believe he put on a much better performance than his adversary yesterday in front of SCOTUS.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I listened to the whole argument. Gura was the most articulate and calm of the attorneys. He did not get tongue tied or mixed up as often as the other attorneys. For those who criticized him, I can guarantee there aren't that many people who could do better. The pressure of the argument in this case is probably the greatest of any case ever before the Supreme Court. There are millions of people who have a vested interest in the outcome. The outcome is could dash the hopes of millions too.

I won't go so far as to say this is the most important case addressing constitutional rights. I would rank it within one of the top 3 decisions that addresses civil, constitutional rights, and social policy. The others would be Roe v. Wade and Brown vs. Board of Education.

I would rank Brown as being the most important. I would consider Heller #2, and Roe #3. There are many who would switch 2-3, but Brown is the most important of the three.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

To be that calm, poised and effective in his first argument before the court makes his performance all the more noteworthy to me.

May the Supremes heed the Hand of God in restoring the right He gave us all.

Steve

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by ellerblr View Post
    NO +1
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Relish it. It probably won't happen again till the last half of 2009.
    I know that you are kidding, although you are also probably correct. But that's OK, I can wait and love this Forum anyway, notwithstanding the typical lawyer bashing.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links