California Assembly to Consider Severe Restrictions on Ammunition Sales!

This is a discussion on California Assembly to Consider Severe Restrictions on Ammunition Sales! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just opened my email and here's a new one from the NRA: (Mods, please move to appropriate area) NRA-ILA :: Legislation California Assembly to Consider ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Assembly to Consider Severe Restrictions on Ammunition Sales!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

Just opened my email and here's a new one from the NRA: (Mods, please move to appropriate area)

NRA-ILA :: Legislation

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stand Up and Make Your Voice Heard Today!
    Next Wednesday, March 25, the Assembly Public Safety Committee will consider legislation that would require gun owners to obtain a “permit-to-purchase” before buying handgun ammunition.

Introduced by State Assembly Member Kevin De Leon (D-45), Assembly Bill 2062 puts ammunition sales in the crosshairs. AB2062 would require that law-abiding gun owners obtain a permit to buy handgun ammunition and would impose severe restrictions on the private transfers of handgun ammunition. Applicants for a “permit-to-purchase” would be required to submit to a background check, pay a $35 fee, and wait as long as 30 days to receive the permit.

Under AB2062, it would be unlawful to privately transfer more than 50 rounds of ammunition per month, even between family and friends, unless you are registered as a “handgun ammunition vendor” in the Department of Justice’s database. Ammunition retailers would have to be licensed and store ammunition in such a manner that it would be inaccessible to purchasers. The bill would also require vendors to keep a record of the transaction including the ammunition buyer’s name, driver’s license, the quantity, caliber and type of ammunition purchased, and right thumbprint, which would be submitted to the Department of Justice or the number of his handgun ammunition purchase permit. Vendors would be required to contact the purchase permit database, to verify the validity of a permit before completing a sale. All ammunition sales in the State of California would be subject to a $3 per transaction tax. Lastly, mail order ammunition sales would be prohibited. Any violator of AB2062 would be subject to civil fines.

Please contact the members of the Assembly Public Safety Committee and your State Assembly Member TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose this onerous attack on our Second Amendment freedoms. Contact information for the committee members can be found below. Please click here to find your State Assembly Member.

State Assembly Member Jose Solorio (D-69), Chair
    (916) 319-2069
    Assemblymember.solorio@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Greg Aghazarian, (R-26), Vice Chair
    (916) 319-2026
    Assemblymember.aghazarian@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Joel Anderson (R-77)
    (916) 319-2077
    Assemblymember.Anderson@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Hector De La Torre (D-50)
    (916) 319-2050
    Assemblymember.DeLaTorre@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Fiona Ma (D-12)
    (916) 319-2012
    Assemblymember.Ma@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Anthony J. Portantino (D-44)
    (916) 319-2044
    Assemblymember.Portantino@assembly.ca.gov

Voter Information

Related Links

Official California Legislative Information

California Department of Fish and Game

Supreme Court Hears Arguments in D.C. Gun Ban Case

Supreme Court To Hear Arguments In Heller Case Next Week

Stop BATFE Abuses -- Urge Your Congressman To Cosponsor H.R. 4900

D.C.’s "Voluntary" Gun Search Program Raises Concerns

Anti-Gun Politicians, Are You Listening? NAS Says Ballistic Imaging Database "Should Not Be Established"

MORE >>

Grassroots Activism

NRA-ILA Announces Its Award Winners For 2006

Meeting Your Activist Needs

Register To Vote!

RAISING AWARENESS ON-LINE: PERSON-TO-PERSON-TO-PERSON NETWORKING

"The Activist’s Corner"--Peer-To-Peer Education

MORE>>

Event Calendar

Copyright 2008, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
    This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
    Contact Us | Privacy & Security Policy

You have to wonder (without getting a brain hemmorage) where these idiots are buying their drugs. They need to find a new source 'cuz they're getting some bad stuff!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Time to make sure you have all your reloading/loading gear in order...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Ammunition Ban 2062 (uh, AB2062) won't stop the flow of ammunition. Via any number of roads into California, a buyer who ignores such rules can simply drive in with ten or twenty cases in the trunk. California can't even keep out a 6ft tall human it wants to ban, let alone a few cases of ammo. Another restriction aimed directly at law-abiding citizens. Dumb x2.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Vendors would be required to contact the purchase permit database, to verify the validity of a permit before completing a sale. All ammunition sales in the State of California would be subject to a $3 per transaction tax. Lastly, mail order ammunition sales would be prohibited. Any violator of AB2062 would be subject to civil fines.
    If this idiocy passes, yet another good reason for all sane people to get out of CA.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If this idiocy passes, yet another good reason for all sane people to get out of CA.

Hoss

Yup and maybe it is time I start making plans!
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

That is why I left Calif. 14 years ago and moved to Utah. To many fruits and nuts back home.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Oh my God, ammo may become as scarce in California as illegal immigrants and crack cocaine.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

So, let me see if I've got this right. If this were to pass, California could have:

Illegal Aliens stealing or buying black market --
    Illegal Ammunition to put in their stolen or black market --
    Illegal Handguns to steal or commit other --
    Illegal Acts to get money to buy more --
    Illegal Ammunition and --
    Illegal Handguns to commit more crimes to buy --
    Illegal Drugs.

Did I get that right? And this reduces crime how?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I'd like to see them tack on this bill something that makes it illegal for a man to dress like a woman in public and see what kinda response they get

Laugh all you want...

If this passes it will be in your state next!

Does micro-stamping ammo ring a bell - it's also heading your way...

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'd like to see them tack on this bill something that makes it illegal for a man to dress like a woman in public and see what kinda response they get

Would thy call it the "Tootsie" bill?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by rustler View Post
    Laugh all you want...

Does micro-stamping ammo ring a bell - it's also heading your way...
    Yes, it sucks. Yes, it's crazy. I think most of the people here have already decided California and Illinois are lost causes. It's not like it's some rogue dictator that took over the states. They were elected, by the people. I don't think anything in California will dominoe into other states. Look at their emission standards and taxes on coorporations. Those coorporations move to other states and bring income elsewhere.

Sorry, I lived in San Diego for 4 and a half years, and the weather wasn't worth putting up with dumb laws and outrageous prices, on everything.

I've got some ocean front property in Arizona, I'm just waiting for California to finish falling off the deep end.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Laugh all you want...

I don't think so. Besides---I'm not laughing---I really, truly feel sorry for you all out there. Hopefully my NRA dues are going to help on your behalf like they already have. Are you a member? Do you support those organizations who make an impact in the outcome of the nonsense your state legislature tries to put over on the people? Are you doing your part?

New Member Array kenpoprofessor's Avatar
    I can only hope this goes through, I will immediately order 1000's of rounds and set up at the Pilot station on the border of AZ and CA in Ehrenburg. Lots of money to be made for the right entrepeneur.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
    Last edited by kenpoprofessor; March 23rd, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
    While the tiger nears extinction, the amoeba lives forever.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD “Quemadmoeum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.)

+1 on the need for all concerned citizens and especially gun enthusiasts to support the NRA and other groups that fight for our 2A rights.

You can also bet there are plenty of "progressives" out there who envision either a wide spread state by state or better yet (for them) a federal ban on the sale of handgun ammo to private citizens.

It's not hard to envision a scenario 20 or so years down the road where buying ammo would be like buying fireworks, forbidden pretty much everywhere.
    We know how many anti-gun people are out there. The media is pretty much on their side, and they know how to manipulate the court system when needed.
    We can't allow them to spread their lies and break the will of the general public.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links