(FL) Firearms - Cars - Employer Parking Lot - Page 2

(FL) Firearms - Cars - Employer Parking Lot

This is a discussion on (FL) Firearms - Cars - Employer Parking Lot within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I support this measure...it's a start. I emailed legislators numerous times...the NRA made it very easy! Stay armed...protect your right...stay safe!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (FL) Firearms - Cars - Employer Parking Lot

I support this measure...it's a start.
    I emailed legislators numerous times...the NRA made it very easy!

Stay armed...protect your right...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Although I support the thought behind this I hate that another special interest law goes on the books at the rights of a business. The only time I feel safe any more is when congress is not in session.

It definitely is a special interest law. There's no practicality behind it whatsoever. But, as we all agree, it's a start.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Yes, I know, you already have that right but this prevents any property owner from messing with it.
    Specifically, it would prevent any property owner from taking action against employees or guests exercising their rights. Property rights are fine, but not to the extent that they suppress the rights of others.

That said, I don't see this as a "special interest" law at all. I see it as a step in the right direction for my home state, both for gun owners and for individuals besides who have been pressured in one way or another by property owners. I hope we continue to make these steps. Maybe, one day, we'll even have open carry! (Yeah, yeah, a long shot, I know.)

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    I agree with you Tally XD, but we're not there yet, and breaking the rules/laws in an effort to protect yourself won't help our cause. It's a matter of principle.

Yes, there is danger everywhere, but, for example, Florida law says no concealed weapons on school grounds. Are we going to break the law and carry on school grounds? Is a school any less dangerous than a corporate office? That corporate office may have a standing policy of no concealed weapons as well. The difference is one is a private rule governed by the company and the other is a state law.

So again... where do you draw the line? I feel that going above the line in either case is not going to do any good towards the ultimate goal of being able to carry wherever you go.
    Unless he works at an "off-limits" place, carrying at your employer's is not illegal unless it is at a school, courthouse, etc. It is breaking company policy. The same thing as smoking in a non-smoking area, or being out of uniform, etc...

It is just company rules, so there is a BIG difference between carrying at work or breaking the law to carry at a school.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Specifically, it would prevent any property owner from taking action against employees or guests exercising their rights. Property rights are fine, but not to the extent that they suppress the rights of others.

That said, I don't see this as a "special interest" law at all. I see it as a step in the right direction for my home state, both for gun owners and for individuals besides who have been pressured in one way or another by property owners. I hope we continue to make these steps. Maybe, one day, we'll even have open carry! (Yeah, yeah, a long shot, I know.)

-B
    What would you consider to be a "special interest" law. I consider any law that only benefits or applies to a small percentage of the people a special interest law. Those who do not work, those who work for companies that do not provide parking, those who do not own a gun would not see any benefit. Those who do not want guns on their property would lose that right. A guess would be that the law would only benefit 5% of the population at a maximum which would sure meet my definition of special interest.

BAC
    It protects a right that everyone has, regardless of whether or not they choose to exercise it. The bill does not state that it would benefit exclusively one part of the population because it protects an action. Anyone can choose to exercise that action, and if they do so lawfully they cannot be punished by an employer. Those who do not work may still carry, and now may do so in places where a business might otherwise say not to (like the tire repair store outside our development) without any repercussions. Those who work for a company without a parking lot are still effected, because they can still travel to places that fall under this category (read the legislation carefully though; it is a lot more open, intentionally or unintentionally, than just specifying "parking lot"). Those who do not own guns, again, do so by choice.

This isn't the same as an affirmative action program that specifies which people it benefits. It protects an action, the same as (on a larger scale) the various amendments in the Bill of Rights do. This is not special interest legislation.

-B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links