(FL) Firearms - Cars - Employer Parking Lot

This is a discussion on (FL) Firearms - Cars - Employer Parking Lot within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Session :Bills : flsenate.gov The bill passed a FL Senate Committee today, 7 v 4. Basically, this is the bill that will prohibit employers from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (FL) Firearms - Cars - Employer Parking Lot

Session :Bills : flsenate.gov

The bill passed a FL Senate Committee today, 7 v 4. Basically, this is the bill that will prohibit employers from banning firearms in the private vehicles of employees on employer property.

Accompanying news story here:

'Take your gun to work' bill clears Senate hurdle | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY

-JT

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I guess this could be good news, but I rather it be supporting carrying your weapon AT WORK for CHL holders. Getting to your car in a time of need might be futile. I already keep my gun in my vehicle at work, but as soon as my CHL comes in I will be packing all the time.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Give somebody a cookie. . . they're going to want a glass of milk. Baby steps. . .

I really, really, really want this to pass. That way I won't get into trouble for keeping my BUG in my POV ;-)
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I hope it does pass. It should. I wish it were up for debate in my state. I drive 125 mile round trip to work and park in the parking lot. I don't want to be without that long! I've never heard of them pushing the issue though.

VIP Member
    Amazing piece of legislation. It covers more stuff that I expected, provides retroactive protection to employees that might have signed consent forms to have vehicles searched in the past. Gives enough way to get some employers off the hook (and thus splitting the business coalition), allows you to keep your gun in the parking lot of a public building, keeps schools out of it (for now) and provides the biggest possible penalty against anybody trying to mess with your rights: You can sue the keck out of them.

I likes... Marion Hammer's work I bet
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I guess this could be good news, but I rather it be supporting carrying your weapon AT WORK for CHL holders. Getting to your car in a time of need might be futile. I already keep my gun in my vehicle at work, but as soon as my CHL comes in I will be packing all the time.
    Well, I agree with you but I think for that one (carry at work) you would just need to use deep concealment and keep your mouth shut.

But the thing about allowing guns locked in cars in the parking lot is not so much so we can go get the gun in a time of need -- it is so we are not at the mercy of violent criminals on the way to and from work. For those of us who are used to 24/7 carry, this is a big consideration.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    It's nice to see some common sense starting to prevail.Next step,is a long shot
    carry at work.How many more needless victims is it going to take before this changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Better make sure your employer is cool with that or you can lose your job in a flash.

I will be honest with you . . . I dont care if my employer is cool with it or not. I will use concealment, mouth shut and carry! I'd rather be fired than shot! I work at a place that is a magnet for a lot of low lifes. I also work at a desk that is directly in the straight shot path of the front door with very little ability to see who is entering.

Not all of our customers know that there is no money in my office. My office is the first and most prominent entrance.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    Better make sure your employer is cool with that or you can lose your job in a flash.
    I think we'd all agree that we'd rather lose a job in a flash than lose our life in a flash.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I think we'd all agree that we'd rather lose a job in a flash than lose our life in a flash.
    With that line of reasoning, we all would carry no matter what the rules are. There are places that don't allow firearms, and we being responsible citizens can choose to obey or not obey. I would venture that most here would obey, whether it be a company rule or a state law.

If I were that afraid for my life that I had to go behind my boss' back to carry where I work, I'd seriously think twice about working there. Either way, lines have to be drawn and we have to make a decision to cross that line or not.

I know my view is not a popular one, but I stand by it.

I understand your view and I dont knock you for it. Do what you think is right. Still, I think if we run scared (scared to work somewhere because of possible violence) then we will one day be scared to walk outside of our homes. If our place of employment cannot provide protection, then we should not be hindered from protecting ourselves. Its not only work place violence that is possible but every where you go has a potential for violence. There have been many many instances just recently such as the Wendy's Hamburger joint where several were killed by an armed assailant. The past few years has seen several shopping malls shot up by some freak with a gun and a death wish.

Just where do you feel totally safe anymore? Could a shooting happen at Wal Mart? Sure it could. What about at your favorite health club? Possible. Is there any place you could go that is 100% safe against a criminal with a gun?

In my opinion, if enough armed citizens start to shoot back at criminals, they themselves will one day become a lot more afraid of us!

My hope is that armed GOOD CITIZENS will one day far outnumber armed criminals.

The way I'm starting to look at it more and more is if my employer won't allow me to have the means to protect myself, then they are responsible...and liable...for my personal safety, and that of all their employees. Furthermore, there should be measures taken to that end.

Unfortunately, I don't see that. Heck...the building doesn't even have fire alarms or a sprinkler system.

-JT

I agree with you Tally XD, but we're not there yet, and breaking the rules/laws in an effort to protect yourself won't help our cause. It's a matter of principle.

Yes, there is danger everywhere, but, for example, Florida law says no concealed weapons on school grounds. Are we going to break the law and carry on school grounds? Is a school any less dangerous than a corporate office? That corporate office may have a standing policy of no concealed weapons as well. The difference is one is a private rule governed by the company and the other is a state law.

So again... where do you draw the line? I feel that going above the line in either case is not going to do any good towards the ultimate goal of being able to carry wherever you go.

Just a small point.
    Opponents of the bill (large corporations)have been calling it the "Bring Your Gun To Work" bill.

In reality,it gives anyone the right to have a gun in their vehicle on ANY public parking lot.Yes,I know, you already have that right but this prevents any property owner from messing with it.

The bill should be called "The It's OK To Leave Your Gun In Your Car" bill.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links